Ambassador

First once-over maintenance when getting "new" WH

Ambassador

Im wondering what i need to go over on a "new" wheelhorse when I first bring it home, specifically engine related.  I'm not extremely mechanically handy, but I did grow up on a farm with lots of older equipment so I've got some common sense when it comes to this stuff. I'm not talking about taking the engine apart and  checking the valves and rings and stuff, but more your routine maintenance type stuff. What should I be checking and cleaning and replacing to get my engine in top shape. Thanks a ton. Btw, I have a 1989 312-8.

Edited by Ambassador
  • Like 1

WHX??

:WRS:

My list would include change oil, check air filter, spark plug &  points if so equipped. Really all about there is with out getting into carb cleaning & such. Maybe checking & lubing cables & linkages.   An oil change is a must just because you may not know when it has been done. even if it looks clean it may be a few years old. Some guys may have de-carbon the head on the list but that means taking (some of) the engine apart. Checking & setting governors is not the worst idea. Different model have different things so best consult the owners manual and see what is recommended there.

• Like 6

Ed Kennell

If I may add to Jims list, I would also remove the top tins on the engine and verify the cooling fins are clean and clear of debris.   

Other lube points on the tractor should be greased.  Grease zerks should exist on the front wheels,  the steering spindles, the axle pivot, the clutch pedal,  and the steering sector gear,

If it has a deck, there may be grease fittings on the spindles.   I would also remove the deck belt guard , clean out the debris, check the belt, and confirm the tensioner pulley is working.

:text-welcomeconfetti:   to another York Countian.

• Like 7

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:yes a good bath

Aldon

If it was not running or unknown, I also change fuel line, filter and fuel cock.

• Like 5

KC9KAS

@Ambassador Very good advise above, and :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

BOB ELLISON

I agree with all of the above . But if it was sitting outside in the weather I go as far as pulling the gas tank off and washing it out, changing the gas lines and gas filter . I always change trans oil.if it's a 4 or 8 speed check the shift boot for cracks. 

Water gets in the trans through those  cracks and will destroy a transmission. 

As ED said I always remove the tins. Mice and mud wasps build nests in there everytime.

• Like 8