dlaw90

Jacking Point

dlaw90

I have a 314-8. I need to pull the back tire off to fix a slow leak. I couldn't find any information on jacking points in the operator manual. Whats the best place to place a jack? Do most people jack directly on the middle of the transmission case, the housing for the rear axle (where the plow brackets attach), or further forward on the frame?

JUSS10

I always jack on the housing for the rear axle and do one side at a time. If its strong enough to take the direct impact of a plow blade on the front, I don't see any issue with jacking it up there. 

• Like 6

gwest_ca

That is what I do also. I would be afraid of poking a hole in the bottom of the case or cracking it.

Garry

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

The rear axle housing as near the tire as possible.

• Like 4

pacer

As with most things "different strokes for different folks" I jack em under the diff housing  - and lordy I have jacked a few. I mean, after all how may gazillions of autos, trucks, big tractors, etc have/are jacked at that point?  Course I have to say it isnt a desirable point because the tractor will 'rock' because there isnt much of a flat spot there.

Im doing a 'Big D's' hyd drive now and to get at that thing with as much ease as possible, I jack it as high as my floor jack will get it to get stands under it.

• Like 4

953 nut

I'm kind of half way between Pacer and Garry. I have always jacked from the transaxle and placed a jack-stand under the axle to be serviced  and then lower the jack so it won't rock.

• Like 3

Tankman

I usually jack from the center, then lower on jack stands. Tire work?

My always "upgrade", lug nuts!

Makes it easy to hang tires on studs when mounting. For me anyhow. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Lug_Nuts_Install.thumb.JPG.874f6eb6b0f1543577ec20a90e0b8b6b.JPG

• Like 8

dlaw90

Thanks for all the advice

13 hours ago, Tankman said:

I usually jack from the center, then lower on jack stands. Tire work?

My always "upgrade", lug nuts!

Makes it easy to hang tires on studs when mounting. For me anyhow. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Lug_Nuts_Install.thumb.JPG.874f6eb6b0f1543577ec20a90e0b8b6b.JPG

That's a good idea. I'll have to take a look at this when I pull the tire off. This will be my first time I've had to do any tire work.

Tankman
1 hour ago, dlawrence529 said:

Thanks for all the advice

That's a good idea. I'll have to take a look at this when I pull the tire off. This will be my first time I've had to do any tire work.

When jacking, I do sometimes jack on the axle housing.

Usually depends on which floor jack I roll over at the time. Bigger jack won't fit between the tire and trans.

Lug nuts open ended acorns, auto supplier.

7/16-20 bolts, Lowes or Home "Cheapo". :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

ohiofarmer

You could always throw a piece of plywood between the jack and the transmission bottom to spread the weight. You could even put a bunch of rags or towels on top of the towel to keep the paint in nice shape

• Like 4

RJR49

I put the jack under the hitch hinge pin. It rocks from there too

• Like 2

JPWH

I normally jack from under the hinge pin as well. To keep from marrying the paint I like to use old mouse pads.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 2:38 PM, dlawrence529 said:

I have a 314-8. I need to pull the back tire off to fix a slow leak.

IMO, when only removing one wheel from any vehicle,  the safest place to put the jack is under the axle housing as near the wheel as possible.  I would also loosen all the lug bolts before raising the vehicle.    If you do raise the rear of the vehicle by jacking under the center, be aware the front wheels will not prevent it from tipping over.

• Like 4

Tankman
16 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

IMO, when only removing one wheel from any vehicle,  the safest place to put the jack is under the axle housing as near the wheel as possible.  I would also loosen all the lug bolts before raising the vehicle.    If you do raise the rear of the vehicle by jacking under the center, be aware the front wheels will not prevent it from tipping over.

I always chock a front wheel too. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

rick

To do tire/wheel work on the rear I jack from the differential, and use some 2'X4" doorstop shaped chunks at the front axle where it goes into the frame axle support to level the tractor. From the front I jack under the mule drive.  I normally don't use stands unless I am going underneath the tractor. I don't need to hear any safety lessons from anyone, either. I am fully aware of the risks.

• Like 1