charles cann

onan control module

charles cann

I have an Onan p218. I have weak spark, motor won't run. I have tested the coil, seems good. The control module was the next test I did, here is what I found; turning the motor by hand I get power one quarter of a turn them no power the rest of the turn. Is this correct?

onanparts.com

Give this a try. :)

Ignitiontest.jpg

Ignitiontest.pdf

Edited by onanparts.com

6bg6ga

Picture of sensor ring that contains the magnets to turn on and off the signal from the module. Note one magnet at 12:00 and one at 9:00 as marked by magic marker black lines. I don't have a flywheel in front of me nor an engine that I can mark this out on the flywheel but I'm going to guess on at 12:00 for a 1/4 revolution and then off.  If someone has actually degreed their flywheel please do chime in here.

ring.JPG

charles cann

thanks for the info, it is a big help. here is what I found; I am getting 6 volts and .05 volts I checked the wires, they seem good all contacts have been  cleaned and still only 6v. I have ordered a new control module. Thanks again

6bg6ga

You say you only have 6 volts?   Here is what I would do first. Turn the ignition on and measure between the + of the coil to chassis ground and see if you have 6 volts or 12 volts. If you have 6 volts I would look for a ballast resistor and jump past it And re-test. You should have 12 volts at the coil because it is being fed from the battery. 

ericj

double check tour battery and the between the battery and engine. if you only have 6 volts either you are loosing voltage in the wiring or the battery. if your voltage is dropping the module could still be good, that is what it is designed to do

eric j