Pilgrim

Surprise Sickle Bar Find...SMS-425?

Pilgrim

Today I had made plans to go and look at a 1995 520-H rolling chassis. When I showed up to the gentleman's house, he opened the garage door and showed me the tractor. It had numerous parts pulled off of it and stacked in a pile. He had pulled the Onan P220 (736 hours) of off it to put on his Cub Cadet pulling tractor. He claimed it was a running, working tractor up until he yanked the engine last year. The only thing missing was the wiring harness. He told me to make him an offer, so I did. I then asked if he had any other Wheel Horse tractors or implements for sale. At first he said no, but a few seconds later he changed his mind, "Yes, actually I do!". So I followed him out back behind his shed and there sat a pretty rough C-85. He said the tractor isn't for sale, but he pointed and said, "I'd sell that." As I walked around the tractor and I see a sickle bar mower laying in the weeds, somewhat attached to the C-85. He had bought it, along with the tractor, a few years ago and didn't know much about. I made an offer and brought it home.

Here are a few pictures. I think this is a SMS-425, but I'm not sure. I don't know too much about these sickle bar mower, but it's obvious there are some parts missing. Besides the front mounting bracket/"mule drive" and travel hook, is there anything else that is missing?

IMG_20170429_175239.jpg

IMG_20170429_174455403.jpg

IMG_20170429_174513256.jpg

• Like 8

gwest_ca

Is that a serial number decal on it?

Garry

nylyon

Good find, missing the front mounting box and belt cover

• Like 1

Shynon

I don't think it is an SMS425, looks to be an earlier version @wheelhorseman1000 will chime in, as this looks just like his. It appears to have a serial sticker on it and no belt cover yours does not appear to have the holes for the belt cover. My SMS425 has a metal serial tag and a belt cover.  Nice find:handgestures-thumbupright:

IMG_6247.JPG

Edited by Shynon
  • Like 1

nylyon

Oh, good eye, I didn't notice that there weren't any holes drilled for the belt cover

• Like 1

Pilgrim

Yes, it is a serial number decal. Would this be a SMS-42 then? 

Edited by Pilgrim

wheelhorseman

Here is a couple pictures of mine you will notice mine does not have holes for the guard either and did not have a hole for the lift rod until  I got the measurements from Tom and drilled one in.

IMG_4455.JPG

IMG_4489.JPG

IMG_4733.PNG

• Like 5

Shynon
14 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

Yes, it is a serial number decal. Would this be a SMS-42 then? 

I have a parts list for a SMS-42A that does not show a belt cover.

buckrancher
1 hour ago, wheelhorseman1000 said:

Here is a couple pictures of mine you will notice mine does not have holes for the guard either and did not have a hole for the lift rod until  I got the measurements from Tom and drilled one in.

IMG_4455.JPG

IMG_4489.JPG

IMG_4733.PNG

Lowell yours must be tiring to run:ychain:

• Like 3

wheelhorseman
1 hour ago, buckrancher said:

Lowell yours must be tiring to run:ychain:

:text-lol:   The motor is in the machine shop as we speak @Shynon  is rebuilding the motor for me, we did a little (horse trading).

Edited by wheelhorseman1000
  • Like 1

Lane Ranger

Pilgrim :   You have the lift rod which is in the first photo and that would have been the way the early  sickles  were lifted up by the rockshaft on the tractor.      Looks like you need to go back and check if the C-85  had the front plate and pulley set up on it.     This is a pretty early looking sickle mower you have.

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 2

gwest_ca

Sorry -  can't get a good look at the numbers. A-3915?

Garry

• Like 1

Pilgrim
44 minutes ago, Lane Ranger said:

Pilgrim :   You have the lift rod which is in the first photo and that would have been the way the early  sickles  were lifted up by the rockshaft on the tractor.      Looks like you need to go back and check if the C-85  had the front plate and pulley set up on it.     This is a pretty early looking sickle mower you have.

I searched high and low for the front mount while I was there, but no avail. I'm sure it won't be easy to find one either. Will any Wheel Horse 42" sickle bar front mount work with this model, or are they model specific? 

3 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Sorry -  can't get a good look at the numbers. A-3915?

Garry

Garry, thanks for the manual. The number is A-40113.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

A-40113 looks like a 1963 serial number

Garry

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Any of the plate pulley boxes should work.     I  know of quite a few folks   without the plate/pulley parts.    I  sold one separate set  about three or four years ago that I bought  but I have seldom seen any at swap meets , etc.    I think people left them on the tractor and removed the  blade and wobble box from the rear as it was easiest to do in removng from the tractor.