Giff Kucsma

RM-367 Mower Deck Spindle Gears

Giff Kucsma

In the process of replacing the spindle bearings on my RM-367 mower deck, I got to thinking about the gears that drive 'em.  As you can see in the image, the teeth are well worn, but only where they mesh with the cross-shafts teeth.

I'm wondering if there's any point in turning the gears over to engage the un-worn teeth.  But the cross-shaft gears have also worn in similar to the teeth on the spindle gears.

I'd appreciate anyone's opinion on the advisability of turning the gears over.

I'm neither a collector nor a restorer, but am the original owner of my 1967 Model 857 tractor.  It just might be the best made piece of equipment that I've ever owned.  Solidly built.  The Kohler engine has been ultra-reliable.  I've never even had the head off it.  Points, plug, carb cleaned, air filter replacement - that's about all I've ever done, yet it starts at one turn of the ignition switch.

In addition to mowing, I've also got a snow blower and mid-mounted grader blade, and a home-made trailer hitch for dragging my wood splitter around.

Thanks all.

(BTW it looks like Toro wants $116/each for these gears.  Not in my budget.)

Worn Gear Teeth.jpg

Edited by Giff Kucsma
Added footnote for replacement cost.
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

I never had one of these apart Giff.    I am surprised it is only using less than half if the tooth length. Is there any way to increase the engagement, or is the mating gear too shallow?

Maybe WH designed gear teeth long so they could be flipped for double wear.      Xperts should be here soon to help.

squonk

That wear pattern is pretty common to what I have seen. I think turning the gear would work but the gear is worn to the side gear and it may be quite noisey. Rule of thumb on the gear drive decks is get lots of rags! :)

gwest_ca

Don't think I would change them around. The two gears have matching wear and if one was turned future wear will be accelerated till they match again. The drive gears may have nothing left by then.

Garry

Giff Kucsma
On 4/28/2017 at 1:49 PM, Ed Kennell said:

I never had one of these apart Giff.    I am surprised it is only using less than half if the tooth length. Is there any way to increase the engagement, or is the mating gear too shallow?

Maybe WH designed gear teeth long so they could be flipped for double wear.      Xperts should be here soon to help.

No, Ed, there's no way to adjust the engagement.  I measured the teeth on both the driving (cross shaft) gear and the driven (spindle) gear.  The driving gear teeth are only 1/4" wide, while the driven gear is 5/8" wide.

In any event, I inadvertently flipped one of the spindle gears when re-installing and decided I'd leave it that way to see what, if any, effect it had.

Spindle Gear Mesh.jpg

18 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Don't think I would change them around. The two gears have matching wear and if one was turned future wear will be accelerated till they match again. The drive gears may have nothing left by then.

Garry

Ja, Garry, that (accelerated wear) was something that occurred to me too.  But, as you can see by my reply to Ed, above, I left one gear as originally fitted but inadvertently flipped the other one.

But it's been 50 years now.  I'm almost 75.  I figure that if the mower deck lasts another 5 years it will have served me well.  Don't know if I'll rehabilitate it again.

Digger 66
On 4/28/2017 at 11:40 AM, Giff Kucsma said:

I'm neither a collector nor a restorer, but am the original owner of my 1967 Model 857 tractor. 

In addition to mowing, I've also got a snow blower and mid-mounted grader blade, and a home-made trailer hitch for dragging my wood splitter around.

1) Welcome to Red square 

2) :wwp:

3) I'd just keep a thin coating of grease on those gears as best you can . JMO .

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Joe Warren
      By Joe Warren
      Mower Spindle Components
      mostly new old stock
      Prices shown do not include the cost to ship.
      Message me with your needs and any questions.
      Thank you.
      Joe

PART NUMBER(S)
      DESCRIPTION
      QTY. AVAILABLE
      PRICE EACH
      NOS Spindle shaft assembly
      103711 (used)
      Used spindle shaft assembly
      101686 or 5875
      NOS Spindle shaft sub-assembly
      NOS Spindle shaft
      NOS Spindle shaft
      107998 or 107446
      NOS Spindle shaft
      NOS Spindle shaft
      112673 or 109965
      NOS Spindle shaft
      NOS Spindle shaft
      102780 or 104373
      NOS Spindle cups 1.0” tall
      ??????
      NOS Spindle cups 0.9” tall
      102784 or 104374
      NOS Spindle cups 0.8” tall

NOS Needle bearing, MFD USA Torrington
      NOS Ball bearing, sealed both sides, MFD China
      101480 or 1515 or 5493
      NOS Ball bearing, sealed both sides, MFD China

NOS Ball bearing, sealed one side, MFD Japan
      NOS Ball bearing, open, not sealed, MFD Taiwan

NOS Seal spacer
      NOS Spacer-pulley
      NOS Spacer-bearing
      NOS Spacer

NOS Lock bolt-pulley
      110242 or 908033
      NOS Lock bolt-blade
      915090 or 32146-20
      NOS Lock nut-pulley
      936028 or 32120-42 or 52-6640
      NOS Snap ring
      spindle housing

• davem1111
      By davem1111
      I thought I'd circle back and see if I can fix a 42" deck (05-42MS05) that came off of one of my previous tractor purchases. I got the blades off and the bottoms of the spindles look good, and it needs some metal welded on where the wheel height adustment bracket bolts on. No big deal.

The problem I'm having now on this deck is that I can't get this one spindle off. I haven't gotten the others off either, but they seem to be fine. This pulley is flopping around and obviously needs help. I've tried heating it with a torch after spraying it with penetrating spray numerous times, and it won't budge.  At this point, I'm thinking that I'll just need to grind it off, right through the spindle shaft, unless I can successfully cut through the thick ring without damaging the spindle shaft. If I have to grind through the pulley, it probably doesn't matter because I think it's shot already. Anyone have any other ideas?

One question:  Is that thick ring supposed to be part of the pulley? This one is detached and the pulley spins freely (and sloppily).  Assuming I'll need to buy a new pulley, but was hoping not to have to buy another spindle shaft also. I did take the grease zirk off and have hammered on the top some, but only with a block of brass in between. It could already be damaged there.

The picture doesn't help much, but here it is:

• Joe Warren
      By Joe Warren
      one new old stock spindle housing

part number 106063

$79 includes shipping within US lower 48.

• Rob R
      By Rob R
      Hi guys need you help have a 42" side Discharge Deck (Triple Blade) mower deck, mounted on a C-81, that is in bad need of an outside Spindle (Mandrel) the pulley on top is # 5877. The bottom bearing is toast. so I poise the following questions. Note pics attached. 

1. Does any on have one of these for less then a Kings ransome?
      2. Is it possible to disassemble and install an new bearing from like NAPA?
      3. All three spindles have NO Zerk grease fittings can I drill and add some...... if yes where on the housing is the best place to do this. 

Thanks feel free to add any other options...... 

• jebbear
      By jebbear
      Getting ready to start rebuilding (hopefully upgrading) my RM-366 mower deck for my 856 Tractor (separate thread as "My 856 Project" under the restorations category). Thought I would post this here looking for some potential ideas from you guys that may have rebuilt, restored, upgraded, modified this particular deck or something very similar. Near as I can tell, the RM-366 deck and the RM-367 are almost identical other than year of mfg. and there may be some others that are very similar.

My question is, has anyone with a similar deck ever made any upgrades/modifications to one of these decks to improve on the problematic "wear areas" at the bearing points of the drag link, bracket hanger, pivot tube, and quick hitch assembly as shown in the photos below? Just doesn't seem like a very good original design to suspend the entire weight of this deck along with being subjected to other external forces on the thin edges of only about 1/8" on the drag link and hanger bearing directly on the pivot tube. Would like to improve on this if its possible and thought maybe some of you veterans may have some ideas or something that you may have tried that works (or didn't work for that matter) to mitigate this wear. I realize these decks are designed to be "floating" decks, but don't really like it when the deck starts floating laterally when wear takes over.

Now for the photos:

These are the areas that I would like to address...

This is a close-up of the original design in the pivot tube area (minus the snap rings and washer). If any of you have followed my thread on the tractor itself, i have been adding an abundance of bronze bearings in wear and pivot points on the tractor and would like to modify this in some way similar. The problem is with what I call the "staggered mount" between the drag link and the hanger whereas the drag link is not mounted between the side plates of the hanger but rather alternate inside to outside (see photo). This makes it a little difficult to directly mount a flange bearing in one of the surfaces, especially with the snap rings on the pivot tube.

This is the original pivot tube showing the wear at these hanger locations as well as the snap ring grooves...

Years ago I made a modification to this same area by turning a "modified" pivot tube and utilizing a combination of bronze bearings whereas the pivot tube was bolted stationary to the side of the hanger bracket and all rotation was limited to the bearing points of the drag link rather than the hanger. This actually worked "relatively" well but still had some issues after years of service. I may pursue something similar this time around, and hopefully someone a lot smarter than me might have a better solution.

As for the wear on the quick hitch assembly shaft where it mounts to the tractor brackets, I am probably just going to fabricate a new one and maybe turn it to accept a couple of bronze bearings at least in the areas marked "severe" wear points.

I hope that I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here, just attempting to make something that has been a problem spot in the past a little bit better. Any ideas or suggestions that you may have tried (or thought about trying) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!