Ed Kennell

Scotch Brite Belt

Ed Kennell

Does anyone recognize this or know what it may have been used for?    It is the medium grit maroon 6" wide x 26' long x 1/8" thick.

I bought it for cheap with the intensions of cutting out pads for sanders and angle grinders.    But before I cut it up, I thought it may be worth some big bucks to the person that has the machine it was designed for.

IMG_7360.thumb.JPG.344833bacfb954f388e479f5a1e8f640.JPGIMG_7361.thumb.JPG.336b59fada151f9101fd1dc003ed5027.JPG

• Like 4

rmaynard

Interesting item Ed. A Google search finds similar belts that are not cheap. You might want to do some more research before you cut it up. Where did you acquire it?

I buy maroon and gray Scotch Brite pads for body work on the horses.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I use the round maroon pads on 4.5" angle grinders and on  bench grinder.  They really work great for removing rust and paint and I use the finer green pads  for polishing SST and chrome.

I was about to try cutting pads on the band saw when I did realize this is probably worth some big bucks.   I picked it up at the local auction.

DennisThornton

Somebody somewhere wants that far more than you want a few disks. 

• Like 1

gwest_ca

I have a 8' stroke sander that uses a 6" x 22' belt so 26' would fit a 10' model.

Garry

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

Please show us piccs of the stroke sander and tell us what it is used for.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Stroke sanders have a table that can be raised and lowered to accommodate the height of the object to be sanded. It also travels on rollers so the object can be pushed into or out of the machine. The object is raised to a point where it just clears the belt.

Inside the loop of belt is a travelling bar that has a graphite covered pad that can be raised and lowered by a lever to push the belt down to the object being sanded. Simultaneously the bar allows the pad to be rolled on bearings from one end to the other.

One hand on the pad lever pushing the belt down to the object and the other rolling the table in and out as you work from one end to the other. The object on the rolling table and/or the pad needs to be constantly moving to prevent gouging.

I can do about 30" of a 8' sheet of plywood and turn the sheet around to do the remaining 18".

My main use has been to sand book-matched slabs with the edges joined to make 5' x 8' table tops. One was 6" thick and that is when I motorized the table elevator.

Garry

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

So Garry, Your sander uses smooth paper or cloth backed sanding belts for wood finishing,  correct?  

I assume this scotch brite belt would be used for metal polishing, but it is not smooth on the back side and would probably abrade a backer  pad.

gwest_ca

Yes cloth backed like the small 6" x 48" belts or 3" x 24" for portable sanders.

I will guess the backer for the pad material is just a plain metal pan. Wonder if that is what they use to get the uniform scratch pattern in stainless steel.

Garry

• Like 2

DennisThornton
15 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

I have a 8' stroke sander that uses a 6" x 22' belt so 26' would fit a 10' model.

Garry

You a wood worker too!  Man!  I've wanted a stroke sander forever!

gwest_ca

Bought this one from a small company that neither the owner or any of his 5 employees could use it without gouging the wood. Took the gamble.

Set it up and had it wired. Turned it on and realized they had it running backwards. They were trying to push the belt across the surface to be sanded. Reversed the motor and bingo.

Garry

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

Gary , how about a picture of your machine. Us would be wood workers would love to see it.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Lots of cameras with pics but no software or hardware that will work anymore. Found this 5 footer online but mine is 8 ft.

Garry

Adding - just realized this one has no belt on it. It runs under the pad at the far end. That lever is used to lower the pad that pushes the belt down to the surface being sanded and that assembly runs on bearings along the flat bar in the center the full length of the table.

doucet-pmc-158-5-stroke-sander.jpg

• Like 1

Sarge

Stroke sanders are a rare and holy **** expensive machine - congrats on that score . As to that belt - you could call 3M or who ever made it and ask for an application - might be interesting . I use a pipe sander here quite a bit on a modified angle grinder - using the 1"x30 non-woven belts sure polishes up metal nicely in a hurry...beats doing it on a lathe and tearing up the bed or working on railings , ect....

Sarge

• Like 1