CurtS

Fixing a 90's Wheel Horse Tractor

CurtS
2 hours ago, 6bg6ga said:

i'll trade you for a 30" running craftsman riding mower. :) with new battery, belts, and variable pulley.

I'll throw in some audio gear too or maybe something else depending on you hobbies.

Thanks for the offer.  I'm going to pass.  Regards, Curt

6bg6ga

Ok! I'll throw in the neighbors wife then.  just kidding

CurtS

Farmer & HorseFixer, I was able to turn the pulley wheel off the engine.  It turned fairly easy with two hands.  I turned it about a dozen times and it moved freely.  It did squeak a lot.

dcrage

Looks like a 37" side discharge deck. Good mower deck, does a good job. 

• Like 1

6bg6ga

I'd leave the plug out and shoot a little ATF in and use the starter and turn it over for a few seconds put plug back in and if your done with dumping the gas tank and fuel bowl and filling the tank with clean new gas shoot a little in the carb and give er heck.

CurtS

Well I'm not sure exactly what's next.  I do need to get a new battery.

6bg6ga

will the old one trickle charge or is it shot completely?  I think I would borrow one from the car and hook it up with jumper cables to the tractor. Throw a little gas down the carb and let her rip. See if there is spark

CurtS

Changed the battery today and the starter is working real good.  No spark though.  Tomorrow, I plan to replace the spark plug, clean the carbs, fuel lines, gas tank, and change the oil.  Anyone know where I can get an oil filter and fuel filter on a Sunday?

953 nut

:WRS:     Tractor Supply would have everything you need. Champion RH-10C gaped at .025 should get your spark back.

6bg6ga
8 hours ago, CurtS said:

Changed the battery today and the starter is working real good.  No spark though.  Tomorrow, I plan to replace the spark plug, clean the carbs, fuel lines, gas tank, and change the oil.  Anyone know where I can get an oil filter and fuel filter on a Sunday?

Pull the plug out of the engine and ground the plug body to the block of the engine and turn it over. You should see a faint spark and if not start looking into the ignition system. Based on the fact that your father gave it up for dead a long time ago I suspect that the ignition module doesn't work hence "no Spark"

Edited by 6bg6ga

Lee1977

My guess is that it's not getting gas. There isn't much to go wrong with a Magnum ignition. They either work or not.  Make sure you getting gas in the cylinder before doing anything with the ignition. If it's get gas the spark plug will be wet.

CurtS

Thanks everyone!  I'll try to figure this out and get it going.  I have a question about gas.  What octane is the best to use?

pfrederi

Octane isn't an issue.  if however you can get ethanol free gas that would be a plus.

• Like 1

ericj

the ignition switch can go bad causing a non start issue, I had one go bad on a 312. try unhooking the separate ground wire from the switch and give it a try, let us know how you make out

eric j

6bg6ga
12 hours ago, CurtS said:

Thread starter already mentioned the no spark problem and if that is correct it needs to be addressed first. So, is there spark or not? If spark is there dump a little gas down the spark plug hole screw the plug in and hit the key and it will pop run a split second and die unless the plug is totally shot. If it is check your junk drawer for another plug same thread same length not longer and screw it in. Don't worry about the heat range to run it a few seconds.

If no spark attach a screw driver to spark plug hood inside and lift it about 1/8" from the metal frame and crank the engine. Still no spark you have a module/ignition problem or one or more of the safeties are open causing no voltage to the ignition module.

As for gas....no alcohol gas and it needs to be regular not premium, no lead additive

Edited by 6bg6ga

dcrage

Heh Curt there is no oi filter on that model. So don't be trying to buy one. Just change the oil on occasion and make very sure you have oil at appropriate level. And a big thing is to keep the AIR FILTER clean !

CurtS

Got it!  Changed the plug and cleaned out the air filter and she started up.  The old oil and gas wasn't that bad, started up in four cranks and runs great!  Now she starts in one quick crank.  This is the beginning of something good.

• Like 6

6bg6ga
23 hours ago, CurtS said:

Amazing considering the fact you said there was no spark and that it hadn't run for 20+ years.

• Like 1

CurtS
11 hours ago, 6bg6ga said:

Amazing considering the fact you said there was no spark and that it hadn't run for 20+ years.

I thought so too.  I wasn't expecting it to start that easily.  I think keeping it in the garage all those years really made a difference.  I was very surprised by how clean the oil was.  Comparing the the old spark plug to the new one, the old plug was in poor condition.

• Like 3

CurtS

Tractor is running really good!  Had it professionally serviced, blades sharpened and belt changed.  It mows great!  Now trying to hook up the bagger.  I think I'm missing some parts.

gwest_ca

This parts list may help with your bagger assembly. Sorry we do not have the instruction manual.

Garry

Adding - this later manual may help

• Like 1

can whlvr

this was my first wheelhorse,bought it new in 86 and still have her,shes got a new engine now but ill allways keep her.i would change the oil in her after running for about 10 min.if it had rust on the cylinder as you said you need to get rid of the rust  out of the engine,they don't take much oil and its good insurance,i would have pulled the head and had a peek inside and cleaned it first so you don't score the cylinder but its too late now,but definatly change the oil a few times to get rid of the rust

• Like 1

dynodave

Beautiful tractor CurtS. I want one. But I need a small guy for my gate, and tight trees. Will you please measure the deck at it's widest point for me?

• Like 1

CurtS

Thanks for the manuals and comments.  I think the bagger I have is a little different.  I found the long tube a few hours ago.  I will take some pictures and post.

CurtS

Out of picture space on this post.  I'll start another one in accessories category.