Brian1054

What engine

Brian1054

Over the weekend I bought a fairly nice little suburban 550(I think) with a deck and plow. It has a transplanted h60 in it. It runs but not well and I would much rather have a Kohler anyway. Is it the k-181 that would fit? And what is a reasonable price for the engine if I find one? 

This little guy is going to be used mainly for mowing and possibly a little snow plowing just for kicks.

Thanks guys

Digger 66

:wwp:

953 nut
29 minutes ago, Brian1054 said:

little suburban 550(I think)

The 550 was born with a Lawson/Tecumseh 5.5 HP electric start # H55B-1170 engine. To replace it wit a Kohler you would be best off with a K-91 4 HP. The K 181 would be a bit to tall.

• Like 1

Brian1054

Thanks. I knew there was a 1 in there somewhere. I'll get some pics tomorrow. What do good running k-91s go for usually? This is kind of a hurry project so don't have time for a rebuild. We got it in hopes our push mower would get us through another month or so but it gave up the ghost.

• Like 1

953 nut
30 minutes ago, Brian1054 said:

What do good running k-91s go for usually?

Image result for shrugging shoulders  Hard to say, they turn up from time to time but prices are all over. Might look for a piece of equipment with one on it like an older snow blower, tiller or mower that runs in addition to engines.

• Like 2

Brian1054
Just now, 953 nut said:

Image result for shrugging shoulders  Hard to say, they turn up from time to time but prices are all over. Might look for a piece of equipment with one on it like an older snow blower, tiller or mower that runs in addition to engines.

I was just looking on eBay. Some of those prices for parts are crazy!

• Like 1

953 nut
27 minutes ago, Brian1054 said:

eBay. Some of those prices for parts are crazy!

There would be no real harm done to use the K-181 and leave the hood off until you can come up with the correct engine. That would let you mow and take your time looking for a reasonably priced engine.

• Like 2

WHX??

Good advice Richard, we have seen them go for ridiculous prices on those popular auctions yet seen them given away at farm shows and tractors meets ....stay patient but look. :)

• Like 2