WVHillbilly520H

New "shoes" for a horse

AMC RULES

:think:  Can you hunt from a tractor there? 

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

:think:  Can you hunt from a tractor there? 

Tractor, truck, ATV,  by foot ,hanging out the sliding Patio door, off the table on the deck, it's zoned county/agricultral, ain't had the five-0 called on me yet :violence-blades:,just gotta be stealthy 

• Like 5

AMC RULES

Ain't it hard to be stealthy...

when you've got an audience?  :ychain:

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

Ain't it hard to be stealthy...

when you've got an audience?  :ychain:

That's the family, they see ,hear not speak no evils, of the samurai :laughing-rofl:

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

Didn't know whether to start a new thread or just add to this one, since it's another new pair and different brand here goes, all the "off brands" seem to run smaller than stated and Carlise and Firestone pricey, I decided I would be the guinea pig for the OTR LAWN TRAC R1 23x10.50-12 (they also have the 16x7.50-8 R1s), so here's the pics as they arrived today will be going on the anniversary 520H blower rig and fluild filled too, Jeff. 1st couple compared the used tires I have on there for years, then the Nanco brand on the '95, my ATV,  and the eMax...

IMAG3892.jpg

IMAG3898.jpg

IMAG3897.jpg

IMAG3896.jpg

IMAG3894.jpg

• Like 7

WHX??

They do look to run a tad small and definitely a different thread pattern. Almost like a cross between an AG and a R-4. Care to share your source and $$ Jeff?? More :text-coolphotos: please when you get them locked and loaded.

• Like 2

ACman

OTR’s are what came stock on my 2004 Kubota BX2230 . I have both the Ag’s and turf for it and they’ve been a good tire . They’re a soft compound tire and bite good. I do have a flat on one of the rear ag’s . My son told me they couldn’t patch the tire because of how it is made in the inside. Could you post a pic of the inside of the tire. I’ve yet to see a tire that couldn’t be patched on the inside (I hate pluggs) but I’ve been outta the loop for seven years now. Maybe things have changed.

Edited by ACman
  • Like 3

WVHillbilly520H
26 minutes ago, WHX12 said:

They do look to run a tad small and definitely a different thread pattern. Almost like a cross between an AG and a R-4. Care to share your source and $$ Jeff?? More :text-coolphotos: please when you get them locked and loaded.

They do look a hair shorter but not aired up, but definitely wider than the Nanco/Deestone on the '95, and the Nankangs on the anniversary, I do believe the Hi-Runs at TSC are very close to actual 23x10.50 size as well, but next to the eMax and ATV yep small, Jeff.

Screenshot_20171229-174337.png

Screenshot_20171229-174356.png

Screenshot_20171229-174408.png

Might have to get the matching fronts and here's the specs on the Carlise... @ACman, I get you a pic of the inside carcass tomorrow, Jeff.

Screenshot_20171229-175157.png

Screenshot_20171229-174953.png

Screenshot_20171229-174938.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Horse Newbie

When mounting( he said "mounting") :Dthe AG's; do they have directional arrows on the sidewall, or isn't it just you Mount them where as the tire spins( if it does) it will push the dirt/ mud to the outside, or is it supposed to push it to the inside of the tire ?

Also @WV Hillbilly...if you could, please elaborate on the " theory" of mounting the AG's this way, or that way.

I used to work at NASA and we only paid slightly more than these prices for tires for the Space Shuttle:ROTF:. Can't believe tires cost that much, but there it is right in front of me.

• Haha 1

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: That's nothing...  

try pricing bicycle tires. 

• Haha 1

WVHillbilly520H

@ACman, as promised inside tire pics, hope this helps, also what a shop done last year for me on my Trailblazer as I ran over a board with a long staple left 2 holes within 1/8" was use a die grinder with scuff pad to roughen up the the rubber on the inside so the patch would actually stick, ...

8 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

When mounting( he said "mounting") :Dthe AG's; do they have directional arrows on the sidewall, or isn't it just you Mount them where as the tire spins( if it does) it will push the dirt/ mud to the outside, or is it supposed to push it to the inside of the tire ?

Also @WV Hillbilly...if you could, please elaborate on the " theory" of mounting the AG's this way, or that way.

I used to work at NASA and we only paid slightly more than these prices for tires for the Space Shuttle:ROTF:. Can't believe tires cost that much, but there it is right in front of me.

Theses tires do have the direction arrow on the sidewalls but being around farming since a child it's just pretty much how they always mounted them and with that being said the lugs pointing that way will grab and pull going forward while pushing the loose soil ect out but when in reverse they do seem to clog up faster (bottom pic in rotting grass and wet clay) so some that run dual wheel usually mount one pair forward the other backwards in theory helping traction both ways, Jeff.

IMAG3899.jpg

IMAG3900.jpg

IMAG3901.jpg

IMAG3902.jpg

IMAG2587.jpg

• Like 3

Sarge

It has to be an issue on how the belts are done in some tires - my local tire guy I've trusted for 30yrs has refused some of the ag tires for some reason due to the belts . He said the patch will not hold the way they flex or something to that order . I use the plugs and have never had a problem with Safety Seal brand - even tried pulling a couple old ones out and they are stuck solid in there , even on a nearly bald and worn out tire .

Not sure if it's the same maker , but so far the BKT's seem to run true to size if not slightly taller than advertised - I like the front ags I put on the D and they hold it's steering well even in the snow last night . I'm about ready to yank the American Farmer's off the rear - they are horribly short but bite just fine with the chains/weights on it but I hate how the tractor sits now with a negative rake . Should have went to a 29" or something...ugh .

Sarge

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
3 hours ago, Sarge said:

It has to be an issue on how the belts are done in some tires - my local tire guy I've trusted for 30yrs has refused some of the ag tires for some reason due to the belts . He said the patch will not hold the way they flex or something to that order . I use the plugs and have never had a problem with Safety Seal brand - even tried pulling a couple old ones out and they are stuck solid in there , even on a nearly bald and worn out tire .

Not sure if it's the same maker , but so far the BKT's seem to run true to size if not slightly taller than advertised - I like the front ags I put on the D and they hold it's steering well even in the snow last night . I'm about ready to yank the American Farmer's off the rear - they are horribly short but bite just fine with the chains/weights on it but I hate how the tractor sits now with a negative rake . Should have went to a 29" or something...ugh .

Sarge

I've used plugs too @Sarge and they seem to work fine. Once in a blue moon, I'll have one leak, but usually by the time I go to an inner tube it's dry rotted and/ or cracked tires.

• Like 1

ACman

@WVHillbilly520H thanks....for sure that tire can be patched. Never again taken a tire back to that shop. They probably didn’t want to mess around with a 26x12-12 tire and rim . I wish I knew how many tires I’ve fixed and mounted back in the day . I always used a radial tire patch even on Innertube’s . Just the way I was taught I guess :confusion-shrug: .

Edited by ACman
  • Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
8 minutes ago, ACman said:

@WVHillbilly520H thanks....for sure that tire can be patched. Never again taken a tire back to that shop. They probably didn’t want to mess around with a 26x12-12 tire and rim .

I guess that BX has small tires compared to my eMax 27x12.50-15 rears 20x8-10 fronts and my Kioti has 23x8.50-12 fronts with 12-16.5 or 33x12.5-16.5 rears, and yes if they can't patch then they obviously don't know what do to it don't want to, Jeff.

• Like 1

ACman
7 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I guess that BX has small tires compared to my eMax 27x12.50-15 rears 20x8-10 fronts and my Kioti has 23x8.50-12 fronts with 12-16.5 or 33x12.5-16.5 rears, and yes if they can't patch then they obviously don't know what do to it don't want to, Jeff.

Yes the BX series to me is just a overgrown garden tractor :twocents-02cents: . I just couldn’t pass up the incredible deal this widow gave me . 23hp , 4x4 with diff lock , 250 hours , FEL , 60” mmm deck , both sets of tires and a brand new DR 3point chipper/shedder all for $5000 (7yrs ago and it’s a 2004) :woohoo: . Plus she just kept throwing things from the barn on the trailer (she was selling the house and getting rid of everything). She told me she just wanted it to go to a good home and I just happened to be at the right place at the right time :) .

• Excellent 3

WVHillbilly520H

@ACman, the eMax isn't much bigger than the Xi series vs the classics, but the the running gear is all cast iron/steel the hood and fenders are plastic on mine but the '17 newer are steel now.

IMAG2968.jpg

IMAG2966.jpg

IMAG2993.jpg

• Like 2

WHX??

Interesting fellas.. thanks for the info on the OTR's. Would be interesting to see how they perform on a (dirt) plow tractor since that's what I am looking for a set for. The MN boys @Shynon say the Firestone flotation 23's are the best (they been plowing long before I) so I believe them but being as cheap as I am can't get past the price point. I do like the price of your OTRs Billy and I may just get a set to "try" out and can always swap them out with another tractor if they don't pan out. Trouble is with us furrow dogs as  @PeacemakerJack so eloquently puts it we plow under vastly different conditions from location to location. I have a set of Tru Powers on a plow tractor in 23-8.50 and they work extremely well in loose sandy soil but haven't worked them in clay or hard packed clay yet.

20170308_103218-1.jpg

Note the skinny profile on 8.50's

20170308_185933-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ACman

@WHX14 I’ve seen no problem with traction with the ags or turfs (snow, ice, dirt) on the Kubota .

• Thanks 2

WVHillbilly520H

@WHX14, Jim the old Nankangs on the anniversary have done well in most conditions from mowing, gardening, snow removal but they were new/used when I got them as they sat outside mounted on a project that never got finished, the new Nanco/Deestones have been ok but that rotting grass/composte pile on clay even with weights and chains I didn't have a chance (refer to above post), I'm thinking with the way these are designed with a bit more center section then sloping outward would bite and clean themselves faster before clogging (first couple pics I posted of these), as soon as the cold snap is over I plan to pull the weights and get them exchanged before the snow actually hits, and if they do good I'll get another pr for the '95 and save the Nanco brand for a future project(maybe) , and yes $300+ for a pr of Firestones kinda sucks don't it when you can reshoe 2 tractors for that $, Jeff.

Screenshot_20171231-104312.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sarge

I don't honestly think anything has ever beaten the 23* Firestone ags yet in the dirt - but yeah that price tag hurts . I will say this - never been disappointed with the Carlisle Tru Power in any ground condition - even deep mud they just keep pulling - only been stuck once and that was due to the blade getting hung up in a ditch . They will tear up some stuff if you ever even slightly spin one , though...but seem to wear like iron too .

Sarge

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

I agree Sarge... I paid 200 for both Tru powers in my pics and my Firestone guy even mounted them for that. Going to go see what he wants for a set in 10.5 but I'm guessing around 120 apiece and and find out what he wants for 23's but in in the end I think I will end up with Jeff's OTR's. I ain't made of money. Jeff on those 16x7.50's have you got them on the front of something? 

You also bring up a point about how they clean themselves, I have videos of the the guys plowing with the 23's and they are PACKED with clay yet keep trucking. Have to see if I can post them videos up. 

• Like 2

aHorseofCourse

I have the OTR's on the front, 16 7.50-8, and tru powers on the back.  Seems to work great in snow and dirt.  Even plowing snow it turns on a dime, I have front weights on too tho.  They seem to be a soft compound and might wear quickly.  All the little nubs are worn off already,  the rear tru powers still have the nubs and were installed at the same time.

IMG_1236.JPG.31f4fae69566b4683767302e9102ce78.JPG

IMG_1237.JPG.334c25a7f3e7fe571da63056a1e769c2.JPG

IMG_1472.JPG.e3419b2d2925af66b296f6fc9fc6a476.JPG

IMG_1436.JPG.e16579ecfee2542478d14dc45432215a.JPG

• Excellent 5

littleredrider

It hurt like hell but I bought a set of the Firestone 23 degrees. After shipping $345 I think. It says 8 to 10.5' rim, but with the mounted on the 520s rims, the tread was the same width as the rim, meaning NOT 10.5" wide. The sidewall is vertically straight up/down from tread to bead. I haven't had much chance to try em out, think mowed once, and only 4-5" of snow, and even going in the yard they did fine, didn't spin a tire. On the g/f's tractor, I put ATV tires on it, 25x12x12 Super swamper vampires. They have 1.5" deep lugs, directional, and when mounted on 8.5" rim, fit under the fenders without lifting or cutting. Its close, but fits. I had to move the hubs way out, cause of the side lugs they have, hit the brake band and close to filter. But again, had limited use of them. But don't think I will get stuck, played in the mud little bit. There is a beaver pond on our property with a small stream feeding it. I take the 4 wheeler thru it so gets turned up sometimes. But there is soft mud in spots. I backed down into stream, and  it sunk bout to the middle of the rim, thought I was gonna flip over lol, and pushed the lever forward, it just pushed my thru without even spinning a tire. They are 6 ply I think, and even with no air in there, doesn't squat all that much. If it was gonna be warmer than -11 I'd snap a pic or two...Oh and I paid $35 a piece for the tires, $25 each shipped, which I think is asinine. But still cheaper than ANY tire bigger than a 23" tire. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H

I braved some cold temps this evening and pulled the weights and fluid filled tires off the anniversary hoping I can get the tire shop to swap them out for me after work tomorrow(short day O/T), anyways here's a couple more pics ,the old tires are Nankang brand I bought used, last pic laying flat on side in truck bed, Jeff.

IMAG3910.jpg

IMAG3911.jpg

IMAG3912.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1