Paul m

Wiring

Paul m

Hello I'm new to forum and I'm rebuilding my 417-8. I have a black wire about 12" in length with a double ring, appears to be a ground. Does anyone know where it gets bolted to? thanks

rmaynard

:WRS:

You can download a manual with a wiring diagram from our files section to help, but maybe if you post some pictures, that might help us identify your wire.

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

gwest_ca

Garry

• Like 1

953 nut

Paul,     :WRS:     you didn't say what year the 417 is so I just took a guess and attached a wiring diagram for an '86. If you can't figure it out from this please post a good photo of the wires and a bit more information about where they are coming from.

Garry beat me to it while I was typing.

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1

JC 1965

:WRS:

oldlineman

953 Nut you have to be fast to beat Garry:greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 3

WHX??

:WRS: Paul

Best guess on the wire is from the battery to the engine block or the frame within that 12 in reach. Either way make sure the engine is grounded to the frame thru a mounting bolt & make sure paint does not interfere with that connection. Star washers can be helpful here.

• Like 2

953 nut
7 hours ago, oldlineman said:

953 Nut you have to be fast to beat Garry:greetings-clappingyellow:

@gwest_ca is the best, he helps this site so much it is amazing. I did beat him once, our postings were simultaneous and I was a millisecond ahead of him; that was memorable!

• Like 1

Paul m

Does anyone have a picture of where to ground the rear lights of a 417-8. Unless I run a test wire directly to battery they won't work Thanks

gwest_ca

Sounds like your chassis metal no longer has a good ground normally provided by the metal panels being bolted to the frame. Corrosion between the panels at the bolts is resistance to current flow. The (-) battery cable is best grounded to the engine block because the starter is the single largest load the battery will see. Then there should be a ground wire from the engine to the frame. You can clean up the chassis metal or add a ground wire from the frame to any sheet metal not presently grounded. The hoodstand that holds the gauges is one you want grounded for sure.

Garry

Adding

If you look at the parts list wiring they show a short ground cable that may go from the frame to the engine. Make sure it is good.

• Like 1

Paul m

I have completely taken it apart, had it repainted and putting it back together

gwest_ca

Paint is a good insulator. The shakeproof washers with external or internal teeth will penetrate the paint and restore electrical contact. A dab of grease will help keep corrosion and rust at bay where the washer teeth pierce the paint.

Garry

Shakeproof washers.jpg

• Like 3

dirtyhead

Just new but had enough.Is it about wheeelhorse lawn tractors or is it about ego and "body counts" life is too short for that crap.Not too sure how to unsubscribe but its my next move.Bye

• Confused 1

953 nut

Just read this thread from top to end and am confused by your reaction. Lots of members welcomed you and went out of their way to provide information. What did we do that has offended you?

2 hours ago, dirtyhead said:

next move.Bye