Sign in to follow this  
314hydro

314 wont start

314hydro

:thumbs: she wont start, my red lights on my dash wont light up, battery gauge doesn't move when i turn the key over, took spark plug out and no spark to the plug.......any ideas??? ignition switch was pretty gunky looking when i took it out, i have no idea what to do...... :whistle: :whistle:

MaineDad

is the battery charged? Did you try to jump start it?

Michael Bullington

sounds like a dead battery to me :whistle: How did you check the spark? :thumbs:

314hydro

yes, tried jumpin it after i ran battery dead....no help...its like theres no juice

:thumbs:

dude, its not a dead battery, i turned it over for 15 minutes, even if the battery was dead, the amperage i put into it would have started it....not the battery....

check the spark by pulling it out putting the boot back on and laying on the engine block, and jumped the solenoid even....don't understand why my gauges and "check" lights arent lighting up when i hit the lil black button like they usually do, i just used it yesterday...im friggin stumped

qd-16

Maybe a fuse?? :thumbs:

TJ

Did you check for ground?

TT

Can you tell us what the tractor is? :thumbs::whistle: :whistle:

Duff

OK, gotta be a smart-azz....what are the chances it's a 314 hydro? :thumbs:

Duff :whistle:

314hydro

where would the fuses be, as stated in the topic title, its a 1996 314 hydro with a kohler motor......

the only thing i think would be my problem, i hooked up an external light and mounted on the hood from a hole from the PO and straight wired it with a in line fuse that i put in when i want the light on, its a one wire light grounded by tightening it to the hood...i have no idea what the problem is....anyone have a part number for this ignition?? its five prong like this..

___ ___

___ ___

___

TT

Now that you provided the year, yes. The switch should be a P/N 103991

The fuses are located in the terminal block somewhere near the battery tray/rear of engine. There should also be a relay in that same area - wiggle the plug on that relay while you're there checking the fuses.

For the record..... there was a 314 Automatic built in 1985 that had a K-321, not an M14 Magnum. Knowing the exact model/year kinda makes a difference, ya know? :thumbs: (battery ignition vs. magneto)

Duff

Appropriately chastised for my smart-aleck ways! :whistle:

Duff :thumbs:

Buzz

the only thing i think would be my problem, i hooked up an external light and mounted on the hood from a hole from the PO and straight wired it with a in line fuse that i put in when i want the light on, its a one wire light grounded by tightening it to the hood

How long ago did you install the light? When you put the fuse in does the key have to be in the "run" position for the light to work or will it work any time the fuse is in? It is possible that the wire for the light is pinched before the fuse and shorting out the system. Alway check out the last thing you did before the problem occured first. While you're checking for pinched wires, blown fuses, bad grounds, etc., fully charge the battery. Check everything out before you buy a new ignition switch. You might not need one.

stevebo

i read all suggestions and unless i missed it i did not see anyone suggest checking all saftey switches. i just picked up my c175 hydro (1981) from the local repair shop and they said the brake was not engaging the saftey switch. it could be the pto switch and/or the seat saftey switch. hope you get it figured out. go to the toro site and pull up the wiring harness which could show you all the switches. good luck-

TT

If the dash indicator lights are functioning, they will alert the operator of the parking brake, PTO position, seat switch, etc.

This sounds more like a loss of main power to or through the ignition switch.

Hard to diagnose any of this stuff over a computer though. :thumbs: