Happytractor

Tough to find crankshaft

Happytractor

I am having a hard time locating a useable working crankshaft for a 18HP Briggs Twin I/C opposed horizontal engine. The model is 422437 type 1268-01 code 91090612. I cant buy a new one they are not available anymore.The engine is on a YardMan GT18 and it has a broken rod.The crank has a  gouge in it and the engine shop said they could grind it but I cant get an under size rod, not available.I can get a standard rod however.I have been checking for crankshafts on Ebay nothing there.I have called numerous large repair shops and a few lawn mower salvage yards but no results.I was hoping somebody reading this would have or know a place that might have a good used crankshaft.Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I've got 2 leads for you to check out.   I called my engine rebuild shop to talk to them thinking they might be able to bore out that standard rod you could get.  He did not want to try to do that on the Briggs rod.  Anyway, he said tell the guy to try a web site called "Planet Briggs".  He also said there is a place in New Lenox, Ill. that has tons of Briggs parts.  New Lenox Engine...815-485-4545.  Give them a call and tell them Kim from Auto Machine said to call you.  :)

• Like 6

Happytractor
41 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I've got 2 leads for you to check out.   I called my engine rebuild shop to talk to them thinking they might be able to bore out that standard rod you could get.  He did not want to try to do that on the Briggs rod.  Anyway, he said tell the guy to try a web site called "Planet Briggs".  He also said there is a place in New Lenox, Ill. that has tons of Briggs parts.  New Lenox Engine...815-485-4545.  Give them a call and tell them Kim from Auto Machine said to call you.  :)

Thanks for the fast reply!I called New Lennox but no luck,He said he never stocked that particular crankshaft.I sent out an email to Planet Briggs,waiting for their reply. Maybe I'll get lucky soon!

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I hope that works for you...that is all I could come up with.  My only other thought would be to machine the rod to accept a rod bearing...but after a couple of cocktails and starring at a fire...anything is possible.  Let us know what happens, if you would.  It may help others, and I know it is getting tougher to keep these thing going.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Maybe @Shynon has an idea.  :)

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 2

aHorseofCourse

I just built an 84 Briggs 18 hp opposed and ran into the same problem with the undersized rods.  I am pretty sure there aren't any more in existence after my months of searching.  eBay is a good option but it's hard to tell what shape they are in from pictures.  Make sure you get the crank for pressure lube if you have an oil filter.  The splash lube and pressure lube are identical except for oil holes in certain places on the pressure model.  I have to ask, what was wrong with the old one?

• Like 1

Happytractor
23 minutes ago, aHorseofCourse said:

I just built an 84 Briggs 18 hp opposed and ran into the same problem with the undersized rods.  I am pretty sure there aren't any more in existence after my months of searching.  eBay is a good option but it's hard to tell what shape they are in from pictures.  Make sure you get the crank for pressure lube if you have an oil filter.  The splash lube and pressure lube are identical except for oil holes in certain places on the pressure model.  I have to ask, what was wrong with the old one?

This engine is a splash type. The crankshaft I have from the engine has a scuff in it from the rod breaking and the Machine Shop said they could grind it but then I would need an undersize rod which is not available.I will keep looking but so far my leads have failed.Maybe I should just repower! 

aHorseofCourse

It's a toss up as parts are really hard to find anymore.  It's a great engine if you rebuild it but you'll have money and time in it for sure.  There were a few cranks on eBay a month or so ago so I'm sure one will pop up again.  Another option is to find another opposed for parts.

• Like 1

aHorseofCourse

Here's a decent looking one, small gouge where the oil seal rides on the long end tho.  Might leak a bit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Briggs-and-Stratton-18HP-Opposed-Twin-Cylinder-Engine-Crankshaft-690636-/192140923116?hash=item2cbc7dd0ec:g:3rkAAOSwdGFY2Hdw

The verticle and horizontal cranks are the same.  You have to ask him the model number and make sure it's a 42 cubic inch with ball bearing but it looks right.  Does yours use a key or pin to line up the timing gear?  Maybe he can mic the journals for you.  Here are the specs.

IMG_1127.thumb.PNG.104c34adf045cd7bf9820d5ab15679a9.PNG

• Like 1

Shynon
6 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Maybe @Shynon has an idea

Sorry don't have any info on Briggs and Stratton.

• Like 2

R. L. Addison

I've had many parts welded up and remachined, including crankshafts. Had no problems with them, as long as the machine shop can grind it, I would give it a try. 

• Like 2

ranger
3 hours ago, R. L. Addison said:

I've had many parts welded up and remachined, including crankshafts. Had no problems with them, as long as the machine shop can grind it, I would give it a try. 

How about having the crank ground, the rod bored enough to have a white metal, (Babbit) insert poured in and machined. Older engines used to have the big ends done like this, Ford V8 flathead. YouTube has videos of the process. Look for Keith Fenner.

Edited by ranger
  • Like 2

benji756

I would look at getting the crank welded and reground like R. L. Addison suggested, when I worked in the auto machine shop years ago we did several and didn't have any issues with them.

• Like 1

Happytractor
4 hours ago, benji756 said:

I would look at getting the crank welded and reground like R. L. Addison suggested, when I worked in the auto machine shop years ago we did several and didn't have any issues with them.

I just got lucky! I found a place that sells .020 undersize rods part number 397158 for 34.99 plus 7.99 shipping now I can get the crankshaft ground for the new rod. They also have new crankshafts,like the one I have part number 394430, they have the replacement number 690639  for 228.19 +9.99 shipping. These are after market parts.They sell all kinds of lawn tractor parts.Here's the web site www.russopower.com  they are located in Illinois.Thanks to all you guys for the GREAT ideas and response,these forums are Great!!

• Like 4

oldredrider

It's "important" that forum members follow up on their trials and tribulations. ..makes it much easier for people with similar problems to find answers and sources to their problems.

Thank you for taking the time to inform us of your results, and especially the resource for parts.

• Like 1

aHorseofCourse

Wow that's awesome you found the rods, great job!  :bow-blue:  I might pick up a set myself now if they still have any

• Like 1

stevasaurus

There is some excellent information in this thread.  After it runs it's course, this thread should find it's way into the Reference/Engine Section.  :)

• Like 2

aHorseofCourse

I just looked up a bunch of other rare parts for these engines and according to their website they have them all.  I gotta call Monday and see if this is really true.  It's like striking gold!

Here are some specs out of the service manual reguarding the crank.  Make sure the end play is right, it's a cause of rod failure.

IMG_1129.thumb.PNG.30ad360a576366d000b13a0219b2e89b.PNG

IMG_1130.thumb.PNG.8a9edcc2fb83bf1e32c5f6231dd85b74.PNG

• Like 1

Happytractor
On 4/1/2017 at 6:25 PM, aHorseofCourse said:

I just looked up a bunch of other rare parts for these engines and according to their website they have them all.  I gotta call Monday and see if this is really true.  It's like striking gold!

Here are some specs out of the service manual reguarding the crank.  Make sure the end play is right, it's a cause of rod failure.

IMG_1129.thumb.PNG.30ad360a576366d000b13a0219b2e89b.PNG

IMG_1130.thumb.PNG.8a9edcc2fb83bf1e32c5f6231dd85b74.PNG

I'm getting back to you guys because I ordered the .020 under rod Sunday 4/2/17 and just got a email from Russo stating they no longer have the rod available and they refunded the money. When I put my order in it showed that it was in stock,I guess they don't upgrade their stock inventory often enough.I now have to figure out some other way of completeing this project. I hope any of you guys putting in a order get what you order, maybe best to call them to place your order to make sure they have the parts.

• Like 1

aHorseofCourse

I sort of suspected this that's why I was going to call.  I ran into that a lot in my search as well.  Very frustrating!:no:

Let us know what direction you decide to go from here.