HorseFixer

ARK 500 LOADER REBUILD ON A 522XI

Pullstart
2 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

Depends on the Worker Dave, i have my Valves on right side and be fine with them.

btw Kev. Put the Filter in the return line never in the high pressure line,

because if you set the system under a higher pressure with a higher Load or a stall on the cylindres

the whole pressure otherwise stay‘s on your filter and filtercase.

While the filters housing itself is not that thick, it can maybe blast by higher loads or even on hydraulic stall.

( reach endpoints of the cylindres)

That‘s the way some Hydraulic guy‘s teaches me to do.

great Work you did on this Loader.

you know, I was thinking about that.  I considered suction line vs return line and thought it might save the pump and valve and cylinders but see how it could restrict flow as well.

• Excellent 1

KrazeyOlDave
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

This machine has foot pedal controls, leaving my hands free to do as they wish.  My many years as a plow truck operator has given my right hand pretty natural muscle memory for hydraulic operation. :handgestures-thumbupright:  

Nice!! I seen the lever on the steering column and thought, utoh 😂

• Haha 1

KrazeyOlDave
3 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

Depends on the Worker Dave, i have my Valves on right side and be fine with them.

btw Kev. Put the Filter in the return line never in the high pressure line,

because if you set the system under a higher pressure with a higher Load or a stall on the cylindres

the whole pressure otherwise stay‘s on your filter and filtercase.

While the filters housing itself is not that thick, it can maybe blast by higher loads or even on hydraulic stall.

( reach endpoints of the cylindres)

That‘s the way some Hydraulic guy‘s teaches me to do.

great Work you did on this Loader.

I was never that talented 😂

I was going to use a filter, it’s still sitting on my bench. Only reason I didn’t was because my system is all new. And I 100% agree, filter on return line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JoeM
4 hours ago, pullstart said:

suction line vs return line

Kev check your filter for application. 

Preference for me is suction, 25 micron. I think this offers the pump / valve unit the most protection from a rusty tank contamination. When I build my own tank extra care can be taken to keep clean.

The last one was a 2x4 tubing tower. used a diesel fuel rinse out.  

I have done those both ways, no real wrong way.  Sometimes room is the biggest issue.

If using in a return application, using a pump intake strainer is a good idea. I like the 1" ones from MMC. Welded a 1 inch pipe bushing to the tank and the filter screws into the bushing extending into the tank. I think they are around 125 micron?? looks like there are various ones 30,60,100

98065k311_slimline%20suction%20strainerl.gif

Some other fuel for thought, most of those filters have have an internal bypass. I would say that one you have is sufficient size and will be good for years. :twocents-twocents:

Is this off the table or next? Since you got that tube bender and such.

:ychain:

1703980480_RedLimoWHHauler2.jpg.2fc06a6610b407473b328aa5c2cdd2cc.jpg

Edited by JoeM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Pullstart
8 hours ago, JoeM said:

Kev check your filter for application. 

Preference for me is suction, 25 micron. I think this offers the pump / valve unit the most protection from a rusty tank contamination. When I build my own tank extra care can be taken to keep clean.

The last one was a 2x4 tubing tower. used a diesel fuel rinse out.  

I have done those both ways, no real wrong way.  Sometimes room is the biggest issue.

If using in a return application, using a pump intake strainer is a good idea. I like the 1" ones from MMC. Welded a 1 inch pipe bushing to the tank and the filter screws into the bushing extending into the tank. I think they are around 125 micron?? looks like there are various ones 30,60,100

98065k311_slimline%20suction%20strainerl.gif

Some other fuel for thought, most of those filters have have an internal bypass. I would say that one you have is sufficient size and will be good for years. :twocents-twocents:

Is this off the table or next? Since you got that tube bender and such.

:ychain:

1703980480_RedLimoWHHauler2.jpg.2fc06a6610b407473b328aa5c2cdd2cc.jpg

Thanks for the screen idea!  Unfortunately the limo sold before we got to it!  :ROTF:

• Sad 1

Pullstart

The filter has been incorporated into the return line by means of new 1/2” return bung.  I need to return an 18” and 24” hose, then grab a 36” hose for the supply line.  While I drilled the hole, I had air pressure in the tank blowing the steel chips out.

B809FBDB-3253-48B4-8F8D-19E875C95822.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

Pullstart

• Excellent 2

Tractorhead

Good Job 👍

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
3 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

Good Job 👍

I’ve got some good coaches!

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

I realized some of my steel tubing is damaged and Duke might have some straight tubing for the project.  I found these fittings if need be to create flared ends without a tool.  For now, I believe I can tear down everything but the loader arms and prep/paint.  The only thing left is building some brackets or tabs for brackets to support the filter mount, and figure something out as far as a lower skid/brace between the mule drive mount and the lower subframe.

EFA671AE-6778-4355-8CA6-939ECD314E93.jpeg

Pullstart

Things are coming apart for welding and paint.  This cat is Lynx.  I caught him about 8 or 9 years ago in the shop I used to work at.  He was black then, from all the shot dust and dirt.  I caught him with some fried chicken and taped him in a box to get him home.  He was a wild one.  Just this year is he finally hanging out in the shop!  :ROTF:

66E42591-F855-4EEF-922A-D3263823D3D6.jpeg

6F0D32F7-C236-4F30-A16B-56746BEAEB49.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

8ntruck

@pullstart - one of the guys I worked with came in one day with his arms all scratched up.  The story that went along with that was about catching a wild cat in his yard to get it neutered.  His trap made out of a plastic kiddy pool worked well.  His plan kind of fell apart when he went to transfer the cat from the trap into a transport cage for the trip to the vet.

• Haha 4

Pullstart
34 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

@pullstart - one of the guys I worked with came in one day with his arms all scratched up.  The story that went along with that was about catching a wild cat in his yard to get it neutered.  His trap made out of a plastic kiddy pool worked well.  His plan kind of fell apart when he went to transfer the cat from the trap into a transport cage for the trip to the vet.

Attempt #1 didn’t go so hot.  He climbed up me and launched about 8’ above me into the air!

But just like a human, no creature can resist another piece of fried chicken!

• Haha 3

Pullstart

I made one skid/support for the pump mule.  Now to duplicate and drill a couple bolt holes!

FE6CF24B-2539-4157-98B9-6A17F7B2BBFB.jpeg

081CDEDA-2DD5-4B72-98B5-F74E362F0394.jpeg

• Like 1

Pullstart

Second skid support done.  👨‍🏭 

F63956BB-3465-4B88-A0D2-F861476FC8B0.jpeg

677431F0-3760-4FD4-A219-4E0BCBFE6C2F.jpeg

• Like 3

Pullstart

• Excellent 3

BHunter
23 hours ago, pullstart said:

The filter has been incorporated into the return line by means of new 1/2” return bung.  I need to return an 18” and 24” hose, then grab a 36” hose for the supply line.  While I drilled the hole, I had air pressure in the tank blowing the steel chips out.

B809FBDB-3253-48B4-8F8D-19E875C95822.jpeg

When i was watching the video of you drilling the hole I thought, what is he going to do about the metal shavings in the tank? Then you put the blow gun in the bottom hole. I said that Kevin is one smart guy. Very impressive build! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
5 minutes ago, BHunter said:

When i was watching the video of you drilling the hole I thought, what is he going to do about the metal shavings in the tank? Then you put the blow gun in the bottom hole. I said that Kevin is one smart guy. Very impressive build! 

I’d never done that before.  Honestly, I figured the plastic plugs would blow off, but I progressively increased air volume.  It worked very well!

• Like 1

Snoopy11
On 3/30/2021 at 4:40 PM, pullstart said:

The mule/pump mount is finished welding!  Time to deburr it, splash some paint and move on!

FB37F0CB-827B-496D-A26F-AF304F92C069.jpeg

604F6598-D40E-4F96-AF38-99BD4C10EE2C.jpeg

NICE WELDS!!!

I'm a little bit of a nut.... what kinda welder ya using...?

I have a little Jegs welder... 120v... (might be small, but like the L-157... it'll show ya somethin')...

Don

Pullstart
Just now, Snoopy11 said:

NICE WELDS!!!

I'm a little bit of a nut.... what kinda welder ya using...?

I have a little Jegs welder... 120v... (might be small, but like the L-157... it'll show ya somethin')...

Don

The welds have improved as the project goes... but thanks! 

This is an old Fronius.  It was a sample to my FIL at a shop he used to work at, when the company was beginning to compete commercially in the US market, I believe.  It doesn’t even have English words on the displays, I had to figure out what things do!

• Like 1

Snoopy11
Just now, pullstart said:

The welds have improved as the project goes... but thanks! 

This is an old Fronius.  It was a sample to my FIL at a shop he used to work at, when the company was beginning to compete commercially in the US market, I believe.  It doesn’t even have English words on the displays, I had to figure out what things do!

Your welds may have improved... mine still look like a 3 year olds...

Not really. I consider myself pretty good now that I have had a couple years under my belt. I like welding... (I don't think I will attempt tig...).

I will say though... your welds look better than mine... :happy-partydance:

Don

• Thanks 1

KrazeyOlDave

Looking good!

• Thanks 1

kpinnc

Some awesome fabrication in this thread. Very nice work!

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

I hate to admit this, but I have no idea where this hitch came from.  What I will admit, is that I’ll have no shame in adding it to the loader subframe!

2E72DB89-2412-4EFD-85EA-8D942622F471.jpeg

Edited by pullstart
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Maxwell-8
2 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I hate to admit this, but I have no idea where this hitch came from.  What I will admit, is that I’ll have no shame in adding it to the loader subframe!

Some kind of small pick-up truck I guess.