HorseFixer

ARK 500 LOADER REBUILD ON A 522XI

Snowmobileaddict

In order to get that pump to fit inside that repurposed mule drive, and align with the PTO on the Kohler, I'm thinking you may need to cut it up and add some material to elongate the side plates to extend them further forward beyond the "pegs"

The kwik-way pump carrier is longer, and the one I ended up fabbing up was as well.

You can see in the photos below that the angle iron that the pump mounting plate attaches to is basically directly under the "pegs".  That mule drive, as-is, doesn't appear to have enough space forward of the pegs to accommodate the pump.  PS - in the PDF drawing I sent you on Sunday, the shape labeled "G" is the mounting plate that fits your pump.  I reattached the PDF to this post as well in case others would like to view the PDF of the parts - the link is just below the last photo in this post.

s0VtDaLdJJ_37GfjZLQrI8xJlI1m6lj3hds3gLPZ

DVXvvCJ8XOWv1rVwLIqiIJhl3Rn0hziTvfS9e2nz

l1qb7VhGczUKoA0rT6kjF5sjEbrvqtW75X1AByiC

Z5tEO8GLUWFYei8kZqZqj6-6fuO3gd5qmOjhBUUt

Revised Unnested SUBFRAME FLATS QTR Inch Plate 2002 Model (1).pdf

Edited by Snowmobileaddict
  • Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

Duke, since I refrain from going too deep into a project like this and I believe you have a pretty good handle on it I will only add a couple suggestions from my recent eMax purchase, if you could since your basically repurposing the whole loader assembly why not make the loader "quick" attach at the side up rights, also quick disconnects at the control valve, and on the 2stage blower for the Xi's they have stabilizer bars running to the rear attach-a-matic (blade/tiller hitch) to help keep the load spread to the rear and maybe add traction while digging into a pile of mulch ect. Here's a couple quick pics of my eMax FEL hope it gives you some ideas inspiration, Jeff.

IMAG3103.jpg

IMAG3104.jpg

IMAG3106.jpg

IMAG3107.jpg

IMAG3108.jpg

1491661972030167033595.jpg

14916619870831758912646.jpg

• Like 3

Snowmobileaddict

2x on the hydraulic quick-couplers.  I did those and it was money well spent.  These are the units I bought from  Universal Hose and Fitting.

Your ports on your valve are 1/2" NPT for the working ports and 3/4" NPT for the in/out so obviously you'd have to go up in size from the units show in the order below.

UXl2-NniJ0X1TY_g4fMa8iA4sJabs1j0YF4VUwjj

• Like 3

HorseFixer
On 4/8/2017 at 10:03 AM, Snowmobileaddict said:

In order to get that pump to fit inside that repurposed mule drive, and align with the PTO on the Kohler, I'm thinking you may need to cut it up and add some material to elongate the side plates to extend them further forward beyond the "pegs"

The kwik-way pump carrier is longer, and the one I ended up fabbing up was as well.

Well isn't that just PEACHY!   :ranting:    My Metal Supplier Bud is acting like a D*ck So that's why I went that route. I think tomorrow I will look for another source.  :thumbs:   I haven't decided wether I am making this a dedicated loader or not If I do I will most likely use those quick connects where are they located?   :think:

23 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Duke, since I refrain from going too deep into a project like this and I believe you have a pretty good handle on it I will only add a couple suggestions from my recent eMax purchase, if you could since your basically repurposing the whole loader assembly why not make the loader "quick" attach at the side up rights, also quick disconnects at the control valve, and on the 2stage blower for the Xi's they have stabilizer bars running to the rear attach-a-matic (blade/tiller hitch) to help keep the load spread to the rear and maybe add traction while digging into a pile of mulch ect. Here's a couple quick pics of my eMax FEL hope it gives you some ideas inspiration, Jeff.

Jeff TO MUCH INSPIRATION!  :hilarious:   

Yesterday the Tractor came home. Today will work on some fabrication!

58ea469121345_522XIHOME.thumb.jpg.6378674d295b209450ba9efee82adc1b.jpg

Edited by HorseFixer
  • Like 2

HorseFixer

Got the cross member that goes behind the Bucket welded in. Time for MaMa to fix me lunch  :handgestures-thumbupright:   then maybe an afternoon Siesta!  :D

DSCN9923.thumb.JPG.a9f6c222bf48cc3668bf590645e64c75.JPG

DSCN9924.thumb.JPG.d3425b459e22d49e10555f9016c69b2a.JPG

• Like 1

farmer

I used to love batman as a kid, looks like you have some of those kooky camera angles going on,  :blink: :)

Looking forward to your build. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Looks like you got 'er "burnt" in real good there Duke, my 110 home Mig not so much but that 480 at work wow I can darn near use it as a cutting torch on 1/2" thick steel :o, Jeff.

• Like 2

Snowmobileaddict

So, I use the quick couplers for ease of storage when I'm not using my loader.  The pump has intake and output hoses that are about 3' long.  I have couplers on the 3/8" pressure and 3/4" suction lines on the pump.  This way I can put the whole pump and pump carrier in a Rubbermaid tote under my work bench.

lNyp2vg3AoGM317pTX_8cKdDUW7TcTVPXF8t8Pjx

Those connect to the spool valve and the reservoir outlet.

sbCJtDdqRfSIP4xYI0xeWk_u24zsV2rZbwPK7z1I

c03wxN6kpc2arL7OFfW122TM18S08Y08Xi_tQghb

• Like 3

HorseFixer
On 4/9/2017 at 2:31 PM, farmer said:

I used to love batman as a kid, looks like you have some of those kooky camera angles going on,  :blink: :)

Looking forward to your build. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Well to Explain the Batman Kooky Camera Angle Thing, I am a HVAC Contractor by Trade.After working for myself for 10 years I went and got a REAL JOB 28 years ago at my Local County at the Sheriff's Dept. as Jail Maint Supervisor. Well that facility has over 350 Cameras. Anyways we Had a lil break in back in 2010 so I did something about it. I brought some of that Jail Technology home with me. I monitor 19 Cameras that record 24/7 through a Dedicated Computer with 20 Terabytes of hard drive space. 

DSCN8768.thumb.JPG.a5f94f6b9b465ec42941b1f7372144cd.JPG

DSCN8771.thumb.JPG.95b027b4d6499db9e03652baa5503cde.JPG

MONITOR.thumb.jpg.9ef71322c8eb0d74e9b53e0c1ddc2cca.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

farmer

Holy home security Horsefixer...:P

I don't blame you I've got a permanently hungry dog. ;)

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
On 4/7/2017 at 10:28 AM, Snowmobileaddict said:

So yeah, the:

RD522GCGA5A4B1 has float

in your post from last night, you listed the

RD522CCAA5A4B1 as the one you ordered, and that one doesn't have float.  I'm not sure how often I'll make use of the float feature on mine to tell you the truth, but I suppose its nice to have.

I use float all the time when scooping up dirt, mulch, etc. 

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200405789_200405789

That is my valve, it also has power beyond capability, which I am considering using to make a grapple for my bucket. 

On 4/8/2017 at 11:00 AM, Snowmobileaddict said:

2x on the hydraulic quick-couplers.  I did those and it was money well spent.  These are the units I bought from  Universal Hose and Fitting.

Your ports on your valve are 1/2" NPT for the working ports and 3/4" NPT for the in/out so obviously you'd have to go up in size from the units show in the order below.

Untitledss_zpsok7jlxpy.png

3X on the quick disconnect. I did not, and now I am wishing I had. I have to figure out how to disconnect the hoses and install one without leaking fluid everywhere.

Edited by WNYPCRepair
  • Like 1

WNYPCRepair
On 4/9/2017 at 10:29 AM, HorseFixer said:

Yesterday the Tractor came home. Today will work on some fabrication!

58ea469121345_522XIHOME.thumb.jpg.6378674d295b209450ba9efee82adc1b.jpg

Is that another XI with loader on the trailer?

• Like 2

HorseFixer
On 4/9/2017 at 6:26 PM, Snowmobileaddict said:

So, I use the quick couplers for ease of storage when I'm not using my loader.  The pump has intake and output hoses that are about 3' long.  I have couplers on the 3/8" pressure and 3/4" suction lines on the pump.  This way I can put the whole pump and pump carrier in a Rubbermaid tote under my work bench.

Andy, what do you thing about leaving the pump on the tractor and putting disconnects down by the pump.:think:   It is possible to have a short By Pass hose to couple in the pump circuit in case the PTO is accidentally engaged that way you don't dead head the Pump and wreck something.  :confusion-shrug:

3 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Is that another XI with loader on the trailer?

Yes Ken the Owner brought it by for me to look at its a DXI with a Quick Way Loader on it.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

roadapples

@WNYPCRepair  If you make a grapple, make two...I want one.....:bow-blue:

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair
22 minutes ago, roadapples said:

@WNYPCRepair  If you make a grapple, make two...I want one.....:bow-blue:

I've been going over it in my head for a while, maybe eventually I'll come up with something that works. :)

• Like 2

HorseFixer
5 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

I use float all the time when scooping up dirt, mulch, etc. 

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200405789_200405789

That is my valve, it also has power beyond capability, which I am considering using to make a grapple for my bucket. 

3X on the quick disconnect. I did not, and now I am wishing I had. I have to figure out how to disconnect the hoses and install one without leaking fluid everywhere.

Nice looking Valve. :handgestures-thumbupright:  What is the Power beyond thing anyways? Grapple?  My Valve is capable of the Power Beyond Option but I will have to addd this Sleeve Option.

58ec5695580fc_POWERBEYOND.png.513f68861791ea04f78ec79d7b28ef11.png

WNYPCRepair
2 minutes ago, HorseFixer said:

Nice looking Valve. :handgestures-thumbupright:  What is the Power beyond thing anyways? Grapple?  My Valve is capable of the Power Beyond Option but I will have to addd this Sleeve Option.

58ec5695580fc_POWERBEYOND.png.513f68861791ea04f78ec79d7b28ef11.png

Most mobile directional valves come with a configuration—usually via a plug or sleeve—called “power beyond.” Power beyond can be a difficult concept for those not familiar with fluid power, or for some whom come from an industrial hydraulic background. Unlike “tandem center” valves, which in neutral position flow from pressure to tank, allowing you to use fixed pumps without unloading valves, or to use the tank flow for downstream functions, power beyond allows you to hook up another downstream valve, while leaving the first valve to operate normally.

A power beyond valve has three internal flow cores: The pressure core, the tank core and the through-center (or power beyond) core. If unused, the tank and through cores are open to a common port, and flow goes back to tank as it would in a tandem centered valve. However, when the power beyond adaptor is installed, the through center core is separate from the tank core. The tank port of the first valve still needs to go directly back to tank, but the power beyond can now feed into the pressure port of the next, downstream valve.

The advantage to power beyond is in allowing you to hook up optional sub-circuits to a standard configuration, like adding a log-lift function to a log splitter. The downsides are the extra plumbing, which lead to leaks, and also an annoying effect related to the first valve in the chain tending to steal flow for its operations. Because the first valve has its own tank line, every function used by that valve diverts flow away from power beyond and straight back to tank. So if you’re running a motor function on the power beyond side and decide to operate a cylinder via the first valve, you will temporarily stall the motor until the lever is released upstream.

http://www.mobilehydraulictips.com/infinity-power-beyond/

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

HorseFixer
5 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Most mobile directional valves come with a configuration—usually via a plug or sleeve—called “power beyond.” Power beyond can be a difficult concept for those not familiar with fluid power, or for some whom come from an industrial hydraulic background. Unlike “tandem center” valves, which in neutral position flow from pressure to tank, allowing you to use fixed pumps without unloading valves, or to use the tank flow for downstream functions, power beyond allows you to hook up another downstream valve, while leaving the first valve to operate normally.

A power beyond valve has three internal flow cores: The pressure core, the tank core and the through-center (or power beyond) core. If unused, the tank and through cores are open to a common port, and flow goes back to tank as it would in a tandem centered valve. However, when the power beyond adaptor is installed, the through center core is separate from the tank core. The tank port of the first valve still needs to go directly back to tank, but the power beyond can now feed into the pressure port of the next, downstream valve.

The advantage to power beyond is in allowing you to hook up optional sub-circuits to a standard configuration, like adding a log-lift function to a log splitter. The downsides are the extra plumbing, which lead to leaks, and also an annoying effect related to the first valve in the chain tending to steal flow for its operations. Because the first valve has its own tank line, every function used by that valve diverts flow away from power beyond and straight back to tank. So if you’re running a motor function on the power beyond side and decide to operate a cylinder via the first valve, you will temporarily stall the motor until the lever is released upstream.

http://www.mobilehydraulictips.com/infinity-power-beyond/

Thanks,  :handgestures-thumbupright:    I See Says The Blind Duck. :text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

Snowmobileaddict
11 hours ago, HorseFixer said:

Andy, what do you thing about leaving the pump on the tractor and putting disconnects down by the pump.:think:   It is possible to have a short By Pass hose to couple in the pump circuit in case the PTO is accidentally engaged that way you don't dead head the Pump and wreck something.  :confusion-shrug:

It's going to be a decision you should make based on how you intend to use your tractor.  If you think your tractor will mostly stay in "Loader Mode", but with the loader "un-mounted" due to storage constraints or other issues, sure, leave the pump and pump carrier installed in the mule drive and, for extra measure, connect a short length of hose between the input and output ports on the pump.  That way if the PTO is accidentally turned on, no harm no foul.

My "one-horse" farm circumstances dictate that I need to be in "mower mode" most of the time and that means the loader is on storage stands in my outbuilding at the ready for most of the time.  I decided on having the hose whips on the pump instead of the valve so that it would be one less thing to have hanging off of the loader and for me to bump into or trip over.

Of course, if you go with quick connects for the hydraulic hoses, and you also want a short length of hose to connect the pump input and output as an insurance policy, the insurance policy premium amounts to the approximately $25 that you'll spend for (2) extra quick connects.  What I did called for (4) fittings.  If you do that and add an extra "safety hose" that will add another (2) fittings to the bill of materials.

Also, most applications use a pressure line coming off the pump 1 or 2 sizes smaller ID than the suction side.  For example, the Kwik-Way loaders shipped from the factory with a 3/8" ID pressure line to the valve and a 3/4" suction hose to the reservoir outlet.  In order to connect your two ports of your pump with a short whip of hose with quick connects, you'd need to have matching hose ID's or some wonky adapters.

I need to find another 522xi to have a dedicated loader setup.  That's a phase of "Wheel Horse-itis" that gets to advanced stages shortly after you finish a loader build...

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Thanks Jeff, :handgestures-thumbupright:  at this point I don't know how I will Do the Lines :confusion-shrug: but the more I think of it the more I am considering making the Loader removable. I just spent the past couple days servicing the Tractor as I was waiting on estimates on Metal to be cut. I did receive costs from one place on the 32 Pieces on the Cad drawing you provided. They came in at $150.00.  I then sent them a Updated drawing on my Bucket and am making it 41" wide so it will fit through my stable doors. I added some degrees of tilt to the back of the bucket And also on the brackets I will make a hole or two On the bottom for further adjustment. ;)  I am waiting on them for the bucket costs and prices from another company. 

TIGMASTER.png.0677eb3f0868a7b0fbe89300a729e92e.png

58edc1a89427e_BUCKETMATERIALS.png.f44bdfd1f38305b542c5dbc67a33a1c8.png

Edited by HorseFixer
  • Like 2

HorseFixer

Well I just got the prices mailed to me from Tigmaster to cut up all the bucket parts. I had him give me the option of an 8ga. and 6ga back piece to stiffen the bucket and for $10.00 more I went with the 6ga. So $220.00 I will have my Bucket Material plus the $150.00 gives me a total of $370.00 for everything. I also changed the design of the brackets a little bit 3 holes 1" apart. So now I wait a week for material.   :greetings-clappingyellow:

58eec713f29fa_BUCKETMATERIALS.png.f1ac0145def66fd59455f9c6169e982c.png

58eec73d7e373_FELBUCKET.thumb.png.d0818e18c964127e1f8665c646d8589c.png

58eec74b81cae_BBWIDE.png.f33c1ebc6bbe722faac18f8707df8494.png

Edited by HorseFixer
  • Like 2

HorseFixer

I have been at a stalemate the past few days waiting on my metal to be cut. I should be hearing something soon. I have been cleaning and organizing the shop doing some spring cleanup and organizing that will make things go well once production begins again. I am looking for some large DELRIN  Spacers about 2" Od and 1/2" Id with a thickness of around 1/8" to 1/4" what I will use these for is for spacers around the cylinder rods where they attach to the Loader framework, Bucket ect to keep the cylinder piston Rods centered. Does anyone know where I can get something like this as a standard Item or something close?  :confusion-confused:     Thanks ~Duke

58f6f355de543_DELRINSPACERS.thumb.png.4395489e1db05a40ed36ff3b6ba8e404.png

• Like 1

farmer

If these items are hard to find, why not make 'em fixer? 

1/8 or 1/4 plate and a bit of time,  :)

or would steel be to harsh?

Edited by farmer
  • Like 1

MalMac

Not saying there not out there, but more than likely they will have to be made. Several years ago we need some bigger ones than what your wanting for a project with some of are farm equipment. Ended up ordering some raw stock and turned, drilled and cut it on are lathe.

Edited by MalMac
  • Like 1

HorseFixer

Well came up with an Idea to search for 2" Delrin Rod and came up with a Company that sells it by the Foot in all kinds of Diameters. That being said I will just have to cut the spacers to the length that I need then drill a 1/2" hole in them. That should be simple enough. Delrin is a good material for this purpose, as it is very hard machinable yet kinda self lubricating for washer or spacer material. It will help keep damage from metal to metal surfaces:handgestures-thumbupright:  Their Website Link Is. >>   http://www.eplastics.com/Acetal_Delrin_Rod?range=49%2C94%2C94

58f788290f60b_DELRINROD.thumb.png.18df9bccc32938eac695675726453afe.png

• Like 3