HorseFixer

ARK 500 LOADER REBUILD ON A 522XI

bmsgaffer

Pullstart:

Some things to keep an eye on on the XI tractors you may know already but I have to reiterate. They are sure stout and heavy but I'm convinced they werent made long enough for Toro to have a chance to improve some longer term issues. 

Axle Bearings: I think the XI series will wear out axle bearing rather quickly. Mine had 800 hours of 60" deck mowing and the rear bearings and seals were shot. 

Front Pivot: Make sure the front pivot is fully seated and well greased. This is an unavailable part and mine is shot to the point I have 1.5" of play in the axle pivot (i think in the past the nut worked loose and wore it quickly) I have to try to find a good used one or make a new one. 

Steering Cylinder pivot point: where the steering cylinder meets the chassis bracket, things get wore out there. I have replaced my pin and cylinder bushing, but I think i need to put in a bushing in the chassis mount now.

Just hoping you have a chance to check these things before you totally encase your tractor with a loader!

Looking good!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
10 minutes ago, bmsgaffer said:

Pullstart:

Some things to keep an eye on on the XI tractors you may know already but I have to reiterate. They are sure stout and heavy but I'm convinced they werent made long enough for Toro to have a chance to improve some longer term issues. 

Axle Bearings: I think the XI series will wear out axle bearing rather quickly. Mine had 800 hours of 60" deck mowing and the rear bearings and seals were shot. 

Front Pivot: Make sure the front pivot is fully seated and well greased. This is an unavailable part and mine is shot to the point I have 1.5" of play in the axle pivot (i think in the past the nut worked loose and wore it quickly) I have to try to find a good used one or make a new one. 

Steering Cylinder pivot point: where the steering cylinder meets the chassis bracket, things get wore out there. I have replaced my pin and cylinder bushing, but I think i need to put in a bushing in the chassis mount now.

Just hoping you have a chance to check these things before you totally encase your tractor with a loader!

Looking good!

Thanks Brandon!  I noticed the front pivot is a bit loose.  My plan is to complete the build, then totally disassemble the FEL to clean and paint it.    I’ll be sure to get the front end in the air and address that.  This one doesn’t have power steering, so that cylinder pivot issue shouldn’t affect this one.  The rear bearings feel tight CURRENTLY at 799 hrs but I’ll keep an eye on the hubs. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Pullstart

The floorboards are coming off to complete the mounting holes in the uprights.  Good time to clean a bit more grass junk out!

D1AD2776-DA4B-47F9-9CAD-F00C7CE38C36.jpeg

• Excellent 2

Pullstart

@Tractorhead it might need just a little trim job!

23D30ACD-8B7A-4926-A220-16A5787C57C1.jpeg

8A286507-1FCA-426B-A215-33392000BE0C.jpeg

• Excellent 1

Tractorhead

Ok, so it seems maybe an optical illusion on the Picts, it appears on the picts to me to be much closer.

I would Test it also with manually lifted FEL maybe with forklift up to max. Liftheight and check the gap to the cylindre.

I see on my FEL with heavier load in the Bucket that sometimes a little bigger dynamic from side to side movement is happen.

I agree to that, because Things they can move a little they don‘t crack that fast.

i just like you be prepared ahead, than after all the work you made and things must be cutout after.

It’s just a suggestion of my own learning curve.

Btw. Great Job on that rework - no doubt.

• Thanks 1

KrazeyOlDave

Cross bar would be a personal preference imo, never been a fan of them due to my eye sight sucks as is 😂 

What’s the wall thickness on your main arms? Because I’m seeing a pretty large bucket on the front...you’ll have to be very careful with that amount of weight when up high...she’ll fold over like an accordion. 😬

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

I bent this little guy up.  It’ll be helpful, but it no way cumbersome or in the way.

@Tractorhead I though about lifting the bucket for some dry cycles too.  Great idea!

@KrazeyOlDave this bucket is 7” narrower than my “stock” ARK 500 bucket.  I *think* the loader arms will be ok.  If not, I’ll rebuild them with heavier wall tubing.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

A0D02EDB-C2FB-4779-8CF2-36237FAD25F5.jpeg

• Excellent 2

Pullstart

Low profile, out of the way, plus I can still see all my gauges.  If I choose to mount a light bar, it might interfere with the hood but we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.

A523E60F-7653-4142-A1DE-6F48670A9B88.jpeg

ED47DD0D-AF1C-4C85-9F70-49C42BB2B8EA.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

Pullstart

I had a pop break and called a buddy.  While I was kicking the tires, I had an idea for a weight hold down.  I’ll lay out the bolt pattern of the four posts onto the bottom of this box and keep some handy stuff like chain or D rings in it.

553A6A6C-0322-4BD9-B95F-879A8DFCD183.jpeg

3BF22324-A573-42A2-A9DE-C31B34B12799.jpeg

• Excellent 4

Tractorhead

Great idea with that Toolbox as closeup.

btw, on FEL work i allway‘s like to remind anybody to think about on an ROPS.

At least because i lost 2 years ago a Friend, who worked on a gently slope with his Loader and fliped his Tractor.

He was not fast enough to jump out of that Scenario.

• Sad 4

Pullstart

Considering the fact that I have a tube bender, the idea crossed my mind to build a cage for this.  Even the 1-1/2” or 1-1/4” tube might be enough to soften the blow.  Plus, it might lend room to mount a roof :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Excellent 2

Tractorhead

1 1/4“ seems stable enough to prevent a Rollover, plus you got the ability to mount a LED Lightbar on.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

The box is bolted down, it really tightened up those weights!

F3EFE99E-89D3-4033-B9B1-BD1733A21F5C.jpeg

• Excellent 2

Pullstart
19 hours ago, JoeM said:

How much do those plates weigh? Look like 20 pounders? 

Overhung and low too. Might not need much more. 

I got 500 now at the rear box and 120 on the wheels. 48x16 bucket loaded with limestone gravel handles very comfortably even on the hill. Lots of traction for digging also. 

I like that bumper, are you going to frame it and add some expanded metal as the grill? Of Course LED lighting too!

I confirmed, 20 pounders indeed.  22 of ‘em makes 440 lbs back there!

KrazeyOlDave
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

Low profile, out of the way, plus I can still see all my gauges.  If I choose to mount a light bar, it might interfere with the hood but we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.

A523E60F-7653-4142-A1DE-6F48670A9B88.jpeg

ED47DD0D-AF1C-4C85-9F70-49C42BB2B8EA.jpeg

Beautiful!!! Nice work!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Mrs. P and I did some investigation on the toolbox.  Quite unique writing font... “Stan Thornbury” it says.

4A440B87-00DD-4C4D-892C-B104785FC28C.jpeg

3B52A2A7-F4BC-46CA-B687-26F2D009BEF4.jpeg

• Like 3

JoeM
4 hours ago, pullstart said:

keep some handy stuff like

snacks, refreshments, first aid kit :eusa-think:

I like that inverted texas longhorn tower support brace. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

bds1984
On 4/6/2021 at 5:19 PM, pullstart said:

I nabbed a set of front and rear wheel weights from @bds1984 and he was nice enough to stop by for a visit and delivery today.  Thanks again Brandon!

Hey you are welcome!  I was nice to get out and see the collection you have going there.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

I’m off to the farm store for some hydraulic hoses, filter, etc.  :D

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

This will move some fluid!

79A27CC7-9DF9-4322-9741-F10B89D16FF4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

HorseFixer

All I can Say is WOW!  Kevin yer doing a great JOB on it! Coming from me that's saying alot.  ~Duke

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

KrazeyOlDave

Maybe put the bucket controls on the other side, that way you can control your drive while working the bucket. :happy-bouncycyan:

Tractorhead
1 hour ago, KrazeyOlDave said:

Maybe put the bucket controls on the other side, that way you can control your drive while working the bucket. :happy-bouncycyan:

Depends on the Worker Dave, i have my Valves on right side and be fine with them.

btw Kev. Put the Filter in the return line never in the high pressure line,

because if you set the system under a higher pressure with a higher Load or a stall on the cylindres

the whole pressure otherwise stay‘s on your filter and filtercase.

While the filters housing itself is not that thick, it can maybe blast by higher loads or even on hydraulic stall.

( reach endpoints of the cylindres)

That‘s the way some Hydraulic guy‘s teaches me to do.

great Work you did on this Loader.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
3 hours ago, KrazeyOlDave said:

This machine has foot pedal controls, leaving my hands free to do as they wish.  My many years as a plow truck operator has given my right hand pretty natural muscle memory for hydraulic operation. :handgestures-thumbupright:  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1