HamptonT

Tie Rods

HamptonT

I have a 1996 314-8 and I'm looking to tighten up the steering system. My tie rods have some play in them. Oddly enough, they are mounted backwards with the adjustable length tie rod end on the inside. The fact that they were backwards may have caused more wear. 

Would you recommend Toro replacements or aftermarket?

Thanks

rmaynard

There isn't much difference between Toro brand and others aside from price. Whichever you decide on, I would install them as indicated in the parts manual.

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

I would go with one of the Site Sponsors/ Dealers. Both are good guys! Keep them in business so they can continue doing what they do for the WH community!

1. A-Z Tractor  -Quality (in Spec) Used Ones @ 50% or Less of new prices

2. WheelHorseman1000 -New Ones lower than Toro

• Like 6

Ed Kennell

Are you sure the play is in the tie rods and not in the sector gear?   The steering gears can be tightened by adding shim to the horizontal shaft.

I would put the tie rod adjusters to the outside for ease of adjustment, but I don't think the position could effect the wear.

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

I agree. On my 312-8 I tightened up the steering by simply using more shims at the top of the shaft to push the shaft further into the lower steering support as it wasn't worn out at the very bottom 1/ of it.

Also check the brass bushing inside the lower steering support for the lower steering shaft. If that is worn out that will cause slop as well. That's typically a big spot from my experience. I used a copper bushing on my 520 and that worked tremendously. I just cut a 7/16" wide piece of copper piping and slipped it over the shaft and it was the right ID an OD. Think it was 3/4"

• Like 2

Lee1977

Also check the axle pivot pin, the tab bolted to the frame is usually broken. This will allow the axle to move and affect the steering. It's not good on the pin, axle and the frame.

• Like 1

rmaynard

If you look at an EARLY 1996 314-8 parts diagram, it shows one solid tie-rod and one adjustable, with the adjustment end connected to the lower steering shaft, not to the spindle. However, the LATER 1996 314-8 diagram shows two adjustable tie-rods mounted with the adjustment portion outward.

If you replace them, I would do it as in the later diagram. Also, the nuts on the tie-rods will work loose over time causing the holes to enlarge, thereby causing additional slop.

All of the above suggestions as well as the actual steering shaft bushing in the dash tower are pertinent to having slop-free steering

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 2

HamptonT
9 hours ago, Mastiffman said:

I would go with one of the Site Sponsors/ Dealers. Both are good guys! Keep them in business so they can continue doing what they do for the WH community!

1. A-Z Tractor  -Quality (in Spec) Used Ones @ 50% or Less of new prices

2. WheelHorseman1000 -New Ones lower than Toro

Good point and will do

9 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Are you sure the play is in the tie rods and not in the sector gear?   The steering gears can be tightened by adding shim to the horizontal shaft.

I would put the tie rod adjusters to the outside for ease of adjustment, but I don't think the position could effect the wear.

Already shimmed the horizontal shaft. That tightened it up a bit. 

9 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

Also check the axle pivot pin, the tab bolted to the frame is usually broken. This will allow the axle to move and affect the steering. It's not good on the pin, axle and the frame.

Just checked it. Yup. It's broken. $25 part from Toro. 

8 hours ago, rmaynard said:

If you look at an EARLY 1996 314-8 parts diagram, it shows one solid tie-rod and one adjustable, with the adjustment end connected to the lower steering shaft, not to the spindle. However, the LATER 1996 314-8 diagram shows two adjustable tie-rods mounted with the adjustment portion outward.

If you replace them, I would do it as in the later diagram. Also, the nuts on the tie-rods will work loose over time causing the holes to enlarge, thereby causing additional slop.

All of the above suggestions as well as the actual steering shaft bushing in the dash tower are pertinent to having slop-free steering

Wow. You're right. Interesting. 

• Like 4

Duramax7man7

There's so much weight put on the axle, frame pin bore behind the axle and front hitch axle bore and pin and plate assy while on the ground that it wouldn't allow slop as the main anchor of the axle is to the frame that drops down as well as the front hitch. When the pin and plate assy breaks, I believe that is when wear starts to take place on the those two main areas and wallows them out.  IMO, It would cause slop in the steering on account of putting more stress on the rest of the steering components. Still a good idea to weld it up or replace the pin and plate assy.

I learned that my vertical slop in the axle (when jacking up the front end) of my 520h was mainly in the front hitch pin bore. Once I replaced the front hitch, it was tight again. The axle pin was badly worn (vertically and on the top) instead of the frame's axle pin bore.