OLDASDIRT

B-100 Transmission

OLDASDIRT

I've got this Hydrogear tranny spread out across my garage floor and I am in need of a parking brake assembly {PN 5966 }. That chunk of metal I found in the bottom of the transmission case belongs to the now defective parking brake. So after trashing 3 drill bits ,.3 punches and emptying a bottle of Mapp gas it is now removed and ready for a new replacement. Of course I'll also be needing the brake shaft seal { PN6449  1/2" ID } since I baked the one that's in there getting the old stuff out. Anyone have any thoughts of where and if these parts can be had?

park brake 002.JPG

park brake 003.JPG

park brake 001.JPG

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I'm not sure if the pawl is available.   I know some guys have welded and reshaped the teeth.  The seal should be available at NAPA.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2

Aldon
45 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I'm not sure if the pawl is available.   I know some guys have welded and reshaped the teeth.  The seal should be available at NAPA.

:text-yeahthat:

daveoman1966

Your best bet is to have the teeth welded up by a micro-weld shop.  Then, by hand, file the teeth back into shape.  

The reason yours is all chipped away is that it was being used as a PANIC STOP, instead of a PARKING BRAKE.  After you get this fixed, DO NOT ever engage the parking brake while moving.  ALWAYS come to a complete STOP before engaging it.

The really bad thiing is, the filing or chips from this parking pawl get into the hydro system and scar the BRASS  piston slipper faces inside the hydro pump./  When they get scarrred badly enough and at operating temp, hyd pressure escapes thru the scars, losing pressure, resulting in ground power loss.  

Sarge

If you can't find a local shop to weld/shape it back properly , ship it and the corresponding gear here - I have the correct tool steel tig rod to fix it , probably done ten of them here already and it's a pretty easy fix . Do not let someone weld it up with 70 series mig wire - it will brittle the metal in the teeth/part and cause fractures later . Really needs to have a tig running a dc pulse program and the proper filler metal to prevent issues in the metal and keep the strength of the original steel .

Sarge

• Like 2

pfrederi

I don't see why you couldn't change over to a bail style brake.  The are easier to repair.  The one in the picture is worn.  It is easy to build it up with some welding then file/grind it back to shape

shaft seal is CR 4911

IMG_3306.JPG

seal.JPG

• Like 1