Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

System Outage of 18-Jan-2008

nylyon

Greetings all. I am sure you are all wondering just what happened on Friday. Well, the Forumer,com folks, our forum hosting company, were trying to block spammers (sounds familiar huh?) and installed an "autoban feature" which turned out to block your accesses. Anyway, here is their explanation.

Hi All,

Please recheck the server 15 please. It seems that our autoban feature did not work well as we thought. I removed it already.

Sorry for the issue. We're trying to find the best solution to block spammers/bots/scanners and prevent DOS attack.

But the good news is that we're back now!

Rollerman

Karl thanks for your efforts in getting Red Square restored!!!! :P

Hope you had a good Anniversary too. :(

I actually made it out to the garage & got some projects done since the site was down.... :D

CasualObserver

Thanks Karl! Your efforts are always appreciated. I was afraid some spammers had retaliated against you for banning them the other day. :D

Stephen, I'm jealous.... even with my heater... too cold to work in the garage yesterday, or today! Here's what www.weather.com says I'm waking up to. Got the truck running so I can go to work in a few minutes.

Attached Image

post-12-1200752189.jpg

TT

Unless it's pure coincidence, the IE7 browser problems I was having up until Thursday have stopped.(I wasn't able to get to this site at all on Friday and my browser worked great! :D )

No signs of the weird activity so far this morning. :P

nylyon

Although I can't say for sure, it is likely to be pure coincidence with your browser. This board, like just about any website works off of cookies. Cookies are just little tidbits of data which retain website information such as your user name, and logon certificates. This site does not install any browser helpers or other programs so the likelyhood of this site causing global browser problems are very low.

What is possible though, is since we have lots of pictures, Internet Explorer memory grows which could cause your PC to run a little slower. Best way to fix that is just close IE and re-open it again that should free up the memory and you would be back in business.

Anyway, it is great to see everyone back again!

TT

I'm using a Dell Dimension 8250 with XP, Karl. Although it's about 4 years old now, it's still no slouch when it comes to power and speed. It is a bit low on RAM, but I've never had an issue with it -- other than on some of the newest games.

Earlier in the week, if I had Redsqure open in one IE tab and would open a second (or third) tab to follow a link, or view Photobucket, my top header where my quick links to my favorites are would turn all gray. (using Windows classic settings) When I would switch to another tab, my entire window would be gray. As soon as I moved the mouse pointer across the page, the links would show up, as would some of the background. :D

Closing IE and deleting the cookies would make it normal, until I moved from tab to tab and the stuff would go gray again. Starting IE7 without add-ons worked too, but some of the missing "needed" features made navigation almost impossible.

I ran McAfee and did a full scan with Ad-Aware 2007 and nothing would show up, other than some tracking cookies. (which would not show up if I remembered to delete all cookies first, of course.)

So far this morning it's working perfect. Although now that I'm "talking" about it, it will probably jinx it again. :(:(

Regardless of how it's working, it GOOD to be back here again! :P

nylyon

I know this is off-topic, but if you want a little piece of a Mac, you can download Safari, the Mac Internet Browser. It is faster than IE, I kind of like it actually.

http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

T-Mo

I know this is off-topic, but if you want a little piece of a Mac, you can download Safari, the Mac Internet Browser. It is faster than IE, I kind of like it actually.

I run Safari, but I normally use Camino on my Mac, Karl. It's a Mac based Mozilla, basically.

The reason I went with a iMac at home was that with our PC, it was just too much work to keep it clean. Ad-ware, spy ware, viruses, etc., are virtually non-existent on a Mac. I hope the slimeballs who think they need to play those games with PC users, stay away from the Mac OS. I'm afraid, someday, they will become more prevalent on the Macs. :D

BTW, it's great to be up and running on this site again. Life's good. :P

combatmp29r

Karl, thanks for your hard work in getting us back Karl. I emailed a couple of the guys to find out if the site was down or if it was my comp. I ran my spyware cleaner and found 34 items that i had to remove :D

You just gotta love that crap. :P

MEBDRB

WOW....!!!!!!! :( I tried off and on all day Friday to get on and couldn't :( All the dune buggy sites I visit were working so I figured there was a problem here. I didn't have a chance to visit all day Saturday until now, which is actually Sunday morning and I came straight here before even going to the buggy sites, does that mean I am hooked.. :D

Anyway, thank you for the work to get it back up and running, I enjoy the site very much... :(

As a side note, it is snowing like mad right now......"Crazy Horse" might have to come out and play tomorrow...... :P

Sparky

Since most members here and myself dont have any snow to plow I think you should give us less fortunate ones some action shots of yer tractor (GT-14 right?) pushin snow.

Mike........loves the pics :D

combatmp29r

Karl, I'm still having trouble getting on the site or navigating from page to page at times. Its not a constant, and seems to have no set pattern. Sometimes I just have to hit refresh and it will come up, other times I have to wait a few minutes and hit the link in my favorites again. It didn't do this at all before fridays issue. Any ideas?

nylyon

I have noticed that as well, no ideas here. If it continues, I will open up another message on Monday (hopefully they're working) to see if there is anything going on.

combatmp29r

OK Thanks again for all the time and effort you put into this. :D

MEBDRB

Since most members here and myself dont have any snow to plow I think you should give us less fortunate ones some action shots of yer tractor (GT-14 right?) pushin snow.

Mike........loves the pics :P

Ok Gents, I too like action shots.....but we are having weird weather and I am a wimp.... :( We normally do not have BAD wind following a snow storm, but today it is 28 degree's here and the wind is blowing like crazy.... :o

We did get about 3" of snow, plenty to have to clean the drive and play on "Crazy Horse" but it is to cold with the wind chill factor, for me anyways..... :D The wind is enough that it is blowing that little bit of snow as like small snow drifts in the driveway..... :o

I did want to plow today while the wifey was home so she could take a few pics for me buuttt.... :(

Yes it is a GT-14 automatic, that was another reason I wanted to plow, is I was getting help on MTF from several and I need to get the #'s off it so I can ID it for sure. I also want to get the #'s off the plow.....well it is only about 1:00 PM here, we will see what the afternoon brings. :(

MEBDRB

Well that was weird, I was on having good conversations with ya'll and BAM GONE AND COULD NOT GET BACK ON... :(

Then when I did get on, it showed nothing new, so I hit refresh and BAM, in comes all the new posts.... :P

I am soooooo confused...... :D