12 hp Kohler

Wheel horse 854

12 hp Kohler

I am going to look at a wheel horse 854 tomorrow that a Giy is asking $100 it has no implements but is in decent condition, any tips or things to look for on the :wh:.

• Like 1

pfrederi

If it starts buy it!!!!!  That is a deal. 

if it doesn't start then does the engine turn over??

Does the tranny shift into gears??

If yes then still buy it.

Frozen engine offer $75...still a good deal.

• Like 2

12 hp Kohler

Ok thanks, the one tire has a leek but the giy said he would put a new one on for me, it is supposed to run but I will find out if that is true tomorrow 

• Like 1

12 hp Kohler

Another question, what is the value on an 854 running and driving in decent condition 

pfrederi

more than $100...to me anyway

12 hp Kohler

Ok, thanks

rjg854

I paid more than that for mine. :twocents-02cents:

12 hp Kohler

Oh, when I first saw the $100 I thought it was an pretty good deal but just wasn't sure 

• Like 1

WheelHorse79

I paid $350 for the one in my avatar 4 years ago.  It was running and mostly original.  It had the wrong mower deck on it, front tires were shot, steering gear was shot, had the wrong seat pan and someone had worked on the transmission and ripped the tank stand around the shifter hole.  However, the engine ran great and the trans was solid.  I thought it was a good deal then.  I wouldn't take a $1000 for it now (restored) because of the sentimental value involved.

Edited by WheelHorse79
  • Like 3

Elkskin's mower junkyard
4 minutes ago, WheelHorse79 said:

I paid $350 for the one in my avatar 4 years ago.  It was running and mostly original.  It had the wrong mower deck on it, front tires were shot, steering gear was shot, had the wrong seat pan and someone had worked on the transmission and ripped the tank stand around the shifter hole.  However, the engine ran great and the trans was solid.  I thought it was a good deal then.  I wouldn't take a $1000 for it now (restored) because of the sentimental value involved.

i want to see pics of the resto job

• Like 1

12 hp Kohler

:wwp:

12 hp Kohler

Wow that's awesome looks great, if I get the one I'm going to look at I would like some day to make it that nice 

WheelHorse79

Thanks!  It was a labor of love, and the folks here on this forum help make it all possible with their advice and support.

• Like 2

12 hp Kohler

:text-coolphotos:

Elkskin's mower junkyard
On 3/22/2017 at 2:56 PM, 12 hp Kohler said:

I am going to look at a wheel horse 854 tomorrow that a Giy is asking $100 it has no implements but is in decent condition, any tips or things to look for on the :wh:.

well did you get it? if so we want pics lol

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Yeah whats the scoop? Heck he's prolly going through his second can of Turtle Wax and bundle of rags!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

12 hp Kohler

I got the wheel horse for $100, not sure the model I thought it was an 854 but now I'm not so sure. It's in pretty good condition just doesn't have the original engine but still a great buy.IMG_0264.thumb.JPG.883e04b6c20182f42dd59e3bc6ee41fd.JPGIMG_0268.thumb.JPG.dee780abd1cb9f312a7efb1a3432ffeb.JPGIMG_0270.thumb.JPG.93d4b44490e9d14ef656a446ad7fff0c.JPGIMG_0274.thumb.JPG.e81a7040681daba5e0ba7589766c61b9.JPG

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher

Buy the picks it looks like a

tecky engine. should be a Kholer.If it is a 854.

Racinbob

You did good. It's not an 854 based on the steering wheel, dash and starter switch. The motor is a transplant. I'd say a 1963. Be careful about driving it without a belt cover. Aside from the obvious dangers you will grind the gears.  :)

• Like 1

12 hp Kohler

Ok thanks for the info 

redone

Nice looking tractor. But I am now full of projects. How ever I am searching for two sets of k series kohler head bolts. 301 in retrospect.

Dan37511
On 3/22/2017 at 8:41 PM, WheelHorse79 said:

I did the same

thing and was offered 3700 and I said no se as you

20221129_180631.jpg

20221130_183643.jpg

• Like 2