pfrederi

In defense of single stage short chutes

squonk

Yup. I don't know what all the hoopla is about a 2 stage. They weigh more than the state of R.I.and are a pain to store. My Single Tall Banger took care of 30+ " the state plows left me just fine. It was the 520 electrical gremlins that made this storm an interesting challenge. 

• Like 4

js5020

I have to join in also, the single stage works so well I don't see a need to go two stage.  The single stage is simple to maintain, and fairly cheap to purchase.  I only use a blower when the snow is deep when the time and effort isn't in favor of the blade otherwise it sits in wait.  Perhaps if I had to blow every storm and deal with less than optimal snow conditions on a repetitive basis I would sing a different tune?

pfrederi

I have to admit I did have to stop occasionally to clear the chute. The snow was above the output and if I pushed in too long it would back up.  I learned not to push in too far.  One bad thing about these horses you cannot lift the blower or blade up high enough when the snow is really deep.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

oldredrider

I completely rebuilt my single stage blower in 2010. It has works flawlessly all these years.....at keeping snow away from this area. It has not seen snow since 2009.

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

The only thing I see better about the 2stage is in my limited experience with it was that my chute "never" clogged in the DOT plow banks or the wet sleet topped 24"+ we got last January, other than that my tall chute single always came through in several 2' snowfalls over the 15+ years before especially on dirt/gravel driveways (that I doubt I would ever run my rebuilt 2stage over), again just my personal experiences, and as for the cab it really is more "pleasant" to blow snow as you don't wear what your chucking vs without it, mine is still all manually controlled and no extra lighting, just a dry comfortable shelter doing a not so pleasant job, Jeff.

IMAG2992.jpg

IMAG2588.jpg

• Like 6

rjg854

My single stage did a great job on two tenths of a mile of driveway and two feet of snow, not that I moved it all at once. The snow was perfect for blowing too. The single stage is on a 73 no name 12hp. A foot of snow was no problem at all.  The 68 Commando 8 has the plowing duties. 

• Like 2

can whlvr

I have 3 singles and they work good enough for my needs,im in a snowbelt and even here we don't get enough snow anymore to justify a 2 stage,i will say that the worn out auger on on doesn't throw the snow as far as the good one

• Like 1

WHX??

i have to agree @pfrederi.....my single throws it just fine but because these clowns here want to really want to see it getting thrown with  their :wh: who am I to argue???:)

Edited by WHX9
  • Like 1

ericj

I have used several single stage throwers on my horses over the years, mostly on C120 or C125 and never had any good luck. It would only throw it just past the end of the blower. Then I bought my 2 stage blower and around the same time got my first 520 and never looked back. It will throw wet slush up to 8 foot and wet snow 20 foot plus. Then several years ago I inherited my dad's low shoot single stage blower. I put it on a 416-H and it did a pretty good job on a 12" snow fall we had. I then found a tall shoot set up and converted it over. Last year I had it mounted on a 520-H for the blizzard we had but unfortunately I did not have chains on it and the tractor was worthless with out the chains. So I bought chains but never got to use it again till this past week. It performed real good on the driveway till I hit the slush at the end of the driveway. Then it clogged up several times, so I put it away and got the 2 stage out. the snow was so wet that on occasion when I forced to much snow in to it to fast, it even clogged up once or twice. So while the single stage will get the job done, the 2 stage will get it done faster and easier.

Another personal observation is with the single stage blower the more snow and the faster you can push it into it the further you will throw it. with that being said that takes horse power, the more horse power the better off you are.

last year with the blizzard my 2 stage cut through that like a hot knife through butter

eric j    

• Like 3

squonk

Tall shoot hitting the street light! 

Note: this is the crap left behind by the village plow! :)

Edited by squonk

pfrederi

I am sure the big 2 stages will throw the snow higher and farther...but why??  i just want i out of the driveway not plastered against the house on the roof of the shop, high up in the pine trees... or fired way up in the air so the wind can blow it back on me and into the driveway>>>

• Like 1

aHorseofCourse

I thought the single threw penn dots windrow better than my 2stage walk behind.  I did notice it doesn't seem to throw as far when the chute is pointed left or right opposed to when its pointed front.  Is there any reason for that or am I crazy?

squonk

I have a neighbor's driveway right next to mine down wind. I either have to launch the snow across his driveway or across the road. :banana-dance:

WHX??
34 minutes ago, squonk said:

the snow across his driveway

Or go do his driveway next .. then the guy on the other side of him.... then the guy on the other side of him... then the...... :huh::blink::wacko:....what a way to get seat time! :lol:.

Us guys with deuces kinda look at (the snow) like a MLB hitter hitting a home run...get up get up get outta here.

Edited by WHX9

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

My single stage had been near flawless in performance. I will give it that. I have owned 3 of them. The 2 stage , well I never got to run it through its paces yet, probably never will either.

Glenn