john7

5003 gaskets

stevasaurus

And now that @Racinbob is back breathing mid-western air...his memory is coming back, he is sleeping better, his appetite has improved, and he has finally seen some snow. :occasion-xmas:  :banana-dance: :banana-linedance::banana-linedance:

• Like 3

john7

So after a week of watching paint dry I have finally wrapped this thing up!

20170412_150643_zpsjsgji71c.jpg

20170412_150705_zpspjkaxvhf.jpg

20170412_150654_zpsgtdxgylp.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with the paint job!

I'm not sure if I'm the only one that has this issue but my wing ding thing that holds the lift cable to the slot hitch rubs on the transmission case wearing the paint off during it's operation. So I made up a small riser to fit the end of the cable sleeve that will keep it up just enough to keep my new paint job intact.

20170412_174836_zpsbf3diacd.jpg

Here's a closeup of what it looks like and how it eliminates contact between surfaces.

20170413_123701_001_zps2kji1kz5.jpg

Also, to save the new paint, I added 2 teflon washers between the wing ding thing and the slot hitch. Had to make up a new, longer, clevis pin to make room for the washers.

20170413_123648_zpsmlpqobp7.jpg

I also repainted the slot hitch and the hubs:

20170412_153129_zpshcvbihf5.jpg

20170406_170108_zpsptntxarg.jpg

20170412_153144_zpsz3l0leku.jpg

I repainted the brake drum and brake band as well but don't have any closeups.  

I do, however, have a couple pics of the blower housing that I repainted. After a little sanding and buffing it came out pretty slick.

20170406_170129_zpsyn1sykco.jpg

20170412_132851_zpscuvifjno.jpg

20170412_132925_zpsc8bqfs47.jpg

20170413_124106_zpspbyghekd.jpg

Here everything is... Assembled, buffed, and all that other jazz.

20170413_124141_zpsgebxhhcg.jpg

20170413_124152_zpsdn1jqvgh.jpg

My kind of rear end!

20170413_123750_zpsuxtkeiod.jpg

Here's a video of me running it through the gears for the first time. 

Thing are slightly snug... just need to run it around the block and wear it all in.

Unfortunately, it's raining so that will have to wait. The whole tractor has been completely restored for the second time and is untouched and unused.. I'm just not emotionally ready for the rain yet!:text-lol:

Anyhow. I am certainly pleased with the way it all came out!

Only one last question.. the manual calls for 90w gear oil. I'm using 80w-90.. I know this will be fine. But in the interest of prolonging the condition of these old gears should I go a bit heavier? Also, I've always put 3 pints in, but I read in another thread to use 1 quart... suggestions? 

• Like 2

stevasaurus

The 80w-90 will be just fine the way it is.  You know that little plug about 1 1/2" up behind the left rear axle housing??  Pull out the 2 bolts holding on the seat and add oil through one of those holes until the oil starts to seep out of that check plug.  That is where the oil level should be.  Seeing yours was dry...it could take up to 2 qts.  :)

BTW...you did a fantastic job on that transmission and that horse.  That paint job looks to die for.  Too bad she is afraid of the rain.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  I'll bet she would look good wet also.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

john7

Ok thanks steve.  That's what the manual says to do too, but I wanted to get your opinion on it. 

And thanks, there's not much left to do to it anymore.. 

I need another carling kill switch.. broke the original about 2 months ago.. And I need a good set of the silvertown ag tires for the rear. I have a set of the firestone turf tires but they just don't look as cool as the ag lugs. And these carlisle ags that I have on it now look good but just not the right time period..

Off topic, but I saw what I think was 'mikesrj' on mywheelhorse.org and he had some kind of goodyears that looked just like the silvertowns... not sure if those came original or if it was just the silvertowns... 

stevasaurus

Mike's horse has been featured in the RS calendar a couple of times.  I think he did that rebuild on here in Restorations...maybe 4 years ago.  You might try to search his thread...I'm sure he talked about the tires in there. 

With all of this...you have to take a video of you riding it around.  Excellent thread John.  :occasion-xmas:

john7

No problem. I'll get a video this weekend when the weather clears up. Thanks again for all the help from everyone! 

• Like 1

john7

Took the wheel horse down to my folks house over easter to give rides. I stopped and snapped a few photos on the way. 

20170414_132936_zpskag5pvcu.jpg

A little taste of west texas..

20170414_134017_zpsmupzbvdp.jpg

And this may quite possibly be the first photo ever of a wheel horse posing for a photo with a pump jack!

I'll post a video here shortly. I just can't figure out how to trim some of the garble out.. 

• Like 2

john7

I got the wheel horse put back together and mounted the mower deck this evening with one little change.. I restored the shower head muffler that was originally on it and put it back on! It just gives it a completed look! 

Anyhow, I suppose it's time to wrap this thread up. What better way than with a bunch of pictures and some videos?!! 

Pulled it out for my annual pre mower mounting photo ritual..

20170420_170642_zps3qeaoqto.jpg

20170420_172230_zpsvilrnogu.jpg

20170420_172516_zpsinurlt2i.jpg

And a couple closeups of the muffler!!

20170420_172554_zps4lippjgh.jpg

20170420_172546_zpsajtxmbvo.jpg

And here it is! Completely restored and unused with a completely restored and unused rmr-32!

20170420_184819_zpsr1qrivst.jpg

For the last 12 months I've been wondering if I would ever be able to bring myself to use the wheel horse again. I actually started looking for another one to mow with and figured I'd just put this one in a vacuum bubble forever and just look at it while I enjoyed a beer on a nice summer day. I put so much time and effort into it, not to mention $$$. Yeah, that didn't happen. I couldn't even save the mowing for the weekend. 2 seconds after that picture was taken I was a lawn mowin' fool with a grin from ear to ear! Anyhow, this is right after I mowed.

20170420_192946_zpsapniuzrb.jpg

It's not the same, but it was worth it... and will be worth it every weekend this summer!!

Here is a walk-around..

And here is one of me mowing for the first time since the transmission took a dump on me last May.. almost a year without using it! I want to appologize in advance for the terrible camera skills.. I was way too excited!

Well there it is. Thanks to all of you who followed me through this and helped me get the transmission back into good shape! I'm glad there is a place to come for advice on these old tractors!

Edited by john7
  • Like 2

rmaynard

Great job. :text-bravo:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Great videos...what a way to end a great thread.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1