Kavint76

The 1277 pushed some serious snow

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

glad tp hear out it worked so awsome for you, it is a work horse. they really deliver.

Glenn

• Like 1

953 nut
4 hours ago, Kavint76 said:

I plan on becoming a supporter on here so i can post more pics n show everyone how much power n heart these machines have in them.

:handgestures-thumbupright:   Looking forward to seeing the   :text-coolphotos:Image result for no pun intended

Tankman

Just south of Allentown, PA. 12" of heavy snow. Thought spring was here? What's with all this white wet cold junque?

We used a 16 hp Work Horse, was all set up with weighs, chains and a 48" blade.

The old Horse performed just great, as always.

This is an older video. plow spring was repaired. "Squished" the spring a bit then screwed in the cast end piece.

• Like 7

Sarge

Despite having a bevel gear diff , the 1277's rear end works excellent and is very strong - haven't hurt mine yet with the tires loaded to 140lbs each . Frame plate , however...lol .

Sarge

• Like 2

TDF5G

RS is the best forum on the interweb!  Glad you're becoming a supporter.  I've received a lot of support from great members here also.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 2

rjg854

We picked up close to 2 feet of snow here in central New York and my Commando 8 has handled it wonderfully.  I love these short frame tractors for maneuverability and power. 

• Like 1

js5020

Wow, there was no way I could have pushed the 20+ we got yesterday I don't think the 16 Auto would have had enough traction, I don't know how you guys manage, what's the secret?  I resorted to the blower , no issues on the hard surfaced drives but I could hardly move on the gravel ones.

bmsgaffer
44 minutes ago, js5020 said:

Wow, there was no way I could have pushed the 20+ we got yesterday I don't think the 16 Auto would have had enough traction, I don't know how you guys manage, what's the secret?  I resorted to the blower , no issues on the hard surfaced drives but I could hardly move on the gravel ones.

Sounds like you dont have enough weight. At minimum, I run 50lb cast weights on each rear wheel with chains. This year I was prepared to add another 240lbs out back with suitcase weights. I also like to run 30lbs front weights to help the front Vredestein V61s dig when turning. Some people get away with no weight, but they have level drives and fluffy snow. I can push huge piles of wet heavy snow from the street with weights and especially chains. 

• Like 3

rjg854

I don't move all that snow at once I just take it in small bites, 8 or so inches at a time.  But by the time you've gone the width of the driveway that's quite a bit of snow to push. Then I jump on the blower tractor and blow that away. I've got a circle drive up by the house barn and shed then 2 tenths of mile of driveway takes about an hour and a half depending on how much snow there is. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

The township opened the road with their new Case Road grader...The resulting pile at the end of the driveway was a real challenge for the Electro 16 and blower. Finally poked a hole in it and then found it easier to work parallel to the road from the road side (no traffic today) undercutting a few inches with each pass.  Only problem was big chunks of overhang landing on the hood and my lap/.  24  inches plus drifts no way i could plow it need to clear a large areas.

rjg854

Didn't mean to hi-jack your thread :hide:

These :wh:'s are awesome machines.

• Like 1

js5020
2 hours ago, bmsgaffer said:

Sounds like you dont have enough weight. At minimum, I run 50lb cast weights on each rear wheel with chains. This year I was prepared to add another 240lbs out back with suitcase weights. I also like to run 30lbs front weights to help the front Vredestein V61s dig when turning. Some people get away with no weight, but they have level drives and fluffy snow. I can push huge piles of wet heavy snow from the street with weights and especially chains. 

Well I do run 40lb a wheel and ags on the back and tri ribs on the front.  What is crazy about the whole thing yesterday, I was able to push the blower uphill thru  22+  at 3x the incline on asphalt and I couldn't make it up my own already plowed gravel drive and I'm almost flat, had to get off and push the darned thing up the drive.  I do have chains but I have yet to put them on.  I suppose I could make up/buy a weight bracket and add more weight. 

bmsgaffer
3 hours ago, js5020 said:

Well I do run 40lb a wheel and ags on the back and tri ribs on the front.  What is crazy about the whole thing yesterday, I was able to push the blower uphill thru  22+  at 3x the incline on asphalt and I couldn't make it up my own already plowed gravel drive and I'm almost flat, had to get off and push the darned thing up the drive.  I do have chains but I have yet to put them on.  I suppose I could make up/buy a weight bracket and add more weight. 

I think your problem may lie with your ags. There are some that will disagree with me, but I think ags are terrible in the snow. They are great for dirt, but especially old ags just never grip anything in the winter. I ran the same ags on my dads old C-105 for 20 years trying to push snow (he didnt want chains on his drive) and it was awful. Never could get enough grip. When I got my own place I tried a C-145 with turfs weights and chains and it felt like a tank. Totally unstoppable. I was pushing back huge snow banks left by the city plows.

My first choice now would be some new rubber like kenda terra tracs (k502) or Carlisle all-trails. @shallowwatersailor was able to do plowing without any chains at all and the K502s. (I have K502s on but I never got enough snow to test them for myself). You wouldnt believe how much more grippy and pliable new rubber is. Second choice would be any turfs with 2-link chains. Toss the ags for the winter time and get a nice set of tires or turfs and chains and it will blow your mind!

• Like 3

js5020
22 hours ago, bmsgaffer said:

I think your problem may lie with your ags. There are some that will disagree with me, but I think ags are terrible in the snow. They are great for dirt, but especially old ags just never grip anything in the winter. I ran the same ags on my dads old C-105 for 20 years trying to push snow (he didnt want chains on his drive) and it was awful. Never could get enough grip. When I got my own place I tried a C-145 with turfs weights and chains and it felt like a tank. Totally unstoppable. I was pushing back huge snow banks left by the city plows.

My first choice now would be some new rubber like kenda terra tracs (k502) or Carlisle all-trails. @shallowwatersailor was able to do plowing without any chains at all and the K502s. (I have K502s on but I never got enough snow to test them for myself). You wouldnt believe how much more grippy and pliable new rubber is. Second choice would be any turfs with 2-link chains. Toss the ags for the winter time and get a nice set of tires or turfs and chains and it will blow your mind!

I was able to repair the pto clutch on the 16 Auto and headed out the shop to the drive that had blown back shut with 20" of concrete.  Came up to the snow and nuttin started spinning, backed up and tried again, same result.  Back into the shop and jack up the rear of the machine and find the chains someone had given me.  Got the chains mounted and found a few bungie cords for tensioners,, pure magic was even able to get through a massive berm at the end without issue whatsoever.  I have never had issue with just the ags on pavement and I keep the blower shoes in the full up position.  I guess it goes to show different surfaces require different traction aids.

• Like 3

Sarge

I run ags all year round with a serious amount of weight and 2-link spaced chains , never take them off unless I'm working on bare concrete or asphalt for an extended amount of time as they will spin and tear up the pavement . Never had an issue with traction but the weight is the key - the lightest one being the '73 16 Auto having only the 50lb cast weights on turf tires and does quite well anyway . The 1277's tires are a bit too heavy as it can use that rolling inertia to break stuff , like the rear frame plate - again , lol . It's getting repaired this spring with a whole new , heavier plate . I will say , that weight makes all the difference , almost nothing can stop that tractor short of breaking something so you have to be careful but I've built snow ramps to the point of almost flipping it over backwards...

Sarge