adnnoble

Serial Number

adnnoble

I bought an old machine and I can't locate a model number. It is a round hood with a tag below the dashboard that says "WHEEL HORSE serial no." with the number 47676. The shift pattern tag is below that.

Anybody have a clue?? Thanks, Andy

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:       hard to tell from a serial number,  :wwp:       It may be one of these;

• Like 2

wallfish

:WRS:

Post some pictures of your tractor and you will get a definite answer to your question plus any others you might have about it. Otherwise it's just a WAG.

• Like 3

adnnoble
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:       hard to tell from a serial number,  :wwp:       It may be one of these;

Thanks. I will post pics soon.

• Like 2

adnnoble
12 hours ago, wallfish said:

Post some pictures of your tractor and you will get a definite answer to your question plus any others you might have about it. Otherwise it's just a WAG.

I'm new to this. Thanks for your help. Tried to upload 3 pics. 2 failed now it says I'm at my limit even after I removed them. So, one 5mb pic for now. Andy.

20170314_184816.jpg

• Like 2

wallfish

1956 must've been the previous owners birthday. Definitely not the year of that tractor.

Looks like a 1961 701 to me but it's been a long time since mine was sold. More pics would help but I bet someone will be along shortly who can ID it from just that pic.

If you become a supporter, unlimited space for uploading pics so it's much easier but you can email them to me and I'll post'm for you if needed.

uremailing@yahoo.com

• Like 5

Sparky

I agree with John...1961 model 701. Those footrests and the flat belt guard are my clues.

Mike.....

• Like 3

953 nut

The serial number was in the '61 range, so a 701 for sure, looks nice.   :text-coolphotos:

• Like 1

T-Mo

If it's a 701, then the hood has been replaced at some point.  A 701 would have a solid front hood with no louvers/grille openings.

• Like 1

Shynon

701 pointed fenders and steering wheel, looks like the hood was cut open and some metal mesh was installed. More pics would be helpful. Steering fan gear would be another clue, along with lift arm

• Like 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, adnnoble said:

Tried to upload 3 pics. 2 failed now it says I'm at my limit even after I removed them.

Data storage is an expense to the website; you could post lower resolution photos or become a "Supporter" and post as many as you wish. If you plan to be a regular on here it will be an investment rather than an expense.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/store/category/1-redsquare-support/

• Like 1

adnnoble

Thanks for the info and thanks for pointing out about being a supporter! 

• Like 1

WHX??

:WRS: and thanks for being a supporter! :greetings-clappingyellow:

Trying to figure out what that is on the side of the dash...an ashtray?!?!?:confusion-shrug:

Edited by WHX9
  • Like 1

adnnoble

Yes! Optional??

adnnoble
On 3/14/2017 at 9:07 AM, wallfish said:

I'm new to this. Thanks for your help. Tried to upload 3 pics. 2 failed now it says I'm at my limit even after I removed them. So, one 5mb pic for now. Andy.

Here are 2 more. Had my son show me how to make files smaller! Thanks again.

20170314_184759.jpg

20170314_184733.jpg

• Like 2

wallfish

Yup, 1961 701 is what you have.

Nice to have that engine belt guard because those are difficult to find. It's the only one which uses a double belt for the starter generator so that guard is a lot deeper.

What are your plans for it? Restore or just get'r running for a worker?

• Like 3

adnnoble

This one I think I will restore as completely as practical. I'm not going to worry about the hood. Besides, I think it adds character. This is my third horse. I bought one about ten years ago to work around the house and garden. Needed a drive belt and a brake. One thing led to another and now it is almost completely repainted with lights, emblems, and new aftermarket seat on a mounting bracket from a 520H. During this process, I found out it is a 1981 GT 2500 anniversary model, and a buddy of mine offered me, for cheap, a 520H that needs minor work. Then I found a blade for cheap and went to pick it up. This 701 was sitting there. It was inadvertently left out of the ad. Bought it right, also. From the paint to owning three took less than three weeks! BTW, the 2500 is a mule and the 701 runs great also. It is ready to use as is!  I will post a couple of pics of the 2500 when it is finished.

I also would like to thank all of you for your help in identifying my 701!

Andy

Edited by adnnoble
  • Like 2

WHX??

Your welcome from all of us Noble and yes I have been advised by much more knowing than me to leave some character ....any ??? use your shout out! :)

I'd bet bet that ashtray on the side was a PO thing .....but there's your character!

Edited by WHX9
  • Like 1

oldredrider

Did anyone else notice the irony? Ash tray mounted to the gas tank!:ROTF:

• Like 3

WHX??
12 hours ago, oldredrider said:

Ash tray mounted to the gas tank

and a cig lighter right in back of it?!?!?:laughing-rolling:

• Like 2

adnnoble

!! :text-lol: AND...... nobody got sued!!

• Like 3