George Washington

Opinions needed on this 314-H

Irv

You said it, "it's a great deal". Tractor alone is well worth more than that. I'm sure it's a 42" deck with the blower unit and that is great for leaves as well as grass. I have a 314-8 and I love it, plenty of power and not bad on gas. Run-don't walk to get that gem!

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

With the Eaton 1100 trans and that bagger....snag it quick.        The only negative, IMO, is the column motion control.  I prefer the console stick.  I makes it much easier to convert to a foot control which I have done to all my hydros.        But that is a lot of machine for $600.

• Like 1

Jerry77
3 hours ago, Irv said:

. Run-don't walk to get that gem!

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

BaySide1

the bagging system alone is worth $600

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
8 minutes ago, BaySide1 said:

the bagging system alone is worth $600

So you would say my '95 520H 560 hrs with the bagger and a single stage thrower and cast iron rear weights would be worth 3 times that?   Now as far as the 314H yes go it well worth it and I myself have NO issues using the column mount shifter, been doing that for 19 years and the foot pedal on the Xi's is awkward for me but again it's all personal preference and what your used to, Jeff.

• Like 2

Forest Road

Stop typing about it and go get it! That's a great price. I have one w about 300

hours. They're as bullet proof as wheel horses can get! 

One of of our members, Matt???, made a foot pedal kit for about $200. It's a game changer. Wouldn't have a column shift without it. 

• Like 2

WHX??

That would have been in my harem the second I saw it for that price!! Go get it you will not be sorry!

I'll tel you how to get used to the column motion....SEAT TIME!:greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 3

Cee245

Buy it!  Don't let anyone else see it. Bring 6 Benjamins when you go!

• Like 1

can whlvr

ya it would be on my truck already

• Like 2

George Washington

I got it! Man is it a beautiful machine - 481 hours with the bagger and canopy and a deck - there was no oil leaking anywhere at all - the column motion control will take a minute to get used to but not really an issue IMO - I got it for $525 - I can probably sell my junky craftsman for close to that so it will be like I traded for it - its bigger than I expected which is good - the bagger is an original wheel horse so that's a huge bonus and it hooks up in basically seconds - too easy. At idle this thing is SUPER quiet - that was unexpected. The only negative I could find on it is that the seat needs replaced - I hate to even say that - very grateful to have this thing - thanks everyone for your input!

oh yeah, one more issue - the idle  adjuster when set all the way up immediately starts to jog down about halfway - seems like a simple mechanical fix but has anyone else ran into this issue?

15 hours ago, Forest Road said:

Stop typing about it and go get it! That's a great price. I have one w about 300

hours. They're as bullet proof as wheel horses can get! 

One of of our members, Matt???, made a foot pedal kit for about $200. It's a game changer. Wouldn't have a column shift without it. 

would love some more info on that foot pedal kit if you have it or remember the guy that did it

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

• Like 2

WHX??

Nice George....Yah you stole it! :ph34r: congrats :greetings-clappingyellow:

The throttle issue is no biggy they all have a tendency to do that Peen the rivet over a little more to increase tension or drill it out and re-bolt with perhaps some wave washers. Or just replace the throttle assembly that's What I eventually had to do as the throttle stop nubby was worn off.  Part number should be in manuals found here along with other manuals if you didn't get them.

Check out the installation link in Ed's post to make sure you or someone you may know are up to installing the pedal kit. Not too much of a job.

Oh yes and we want more :text-coolphotos:

• Like 2

BaySide1

George Washington

Check out this link if you need validation of the great deal you got

The link I had posted was for a bagging system (used-looked good) for $600.

You got both the Tractor and Bagging system for the same price.

I also have seen a brand new WH bagging system listed for $800 recently.

In my books, you got a great deal

Did not realize the moderators would deny the link. I was only trying to solidify your decision.

I knew you were not in the market to buy those two items separately.

Edited by BaySide1
Linking to Craig's List ads is against RS rules.
  • Like 1

George Washington

One last question on this thing. I got her home and she didn't want to start (of course). I put a trickle charger on the battery and came back to it 24 hours later. It was a bit finicky with the choke but I did manage to get it started and running at full idle. I then set the idle all the way down and let it run for a few minutes but when I set the idle back up and went to nagged the belts and it died. Started it a few more times but it keeps dying every time I try to engage the belts. Any idea what's going on? I'm sure it's simple but who knows. Everything ran and worked fine when I got it. It's almost like I knocked something loose on the way back home. Any and all ideas are always appreciated. 

• Like 1

953 nut
12 minutes ago, George Washington said:

almost like I knocked something loose on the way back home

Change the fuel filter, could have knocked some crud loose while transporting it.  Also, a new spark plug never hurts.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

You might have a bad spindle or bearing on the bagger. I would try greasing the zerks and make sure there isn't anything binding on the deck. Check underneath the deck. I found nylon mesh onetime wrapped around a spindle onetime. It should all spin by hand.  Also the throttle needs to be at full speed when engaging the electric PTO.

Nice tractor, and good luck!

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 3

MalMac

A couple of things come to mind, first make sure your seat safety switch is working. If not every time you engage PTO it will kill it. Second, with engine STOPPED, reached down in the blower to make sure it's not bound up. Don't just do a visual but take your hand and try and rotate the blower. Sometimes they get debris caught between the impeller blade and housing and the tractor can not overcome the resistance. Wear gloves and be carful as you do not know what might be binding it. 

Just re-read your post, if everything worked fine when you got it, then the blower is not bound up, providing you engaged the PTO when trying it out.

Edited by MalMac
  • Like 1

George Washington

Can anyone confirm that this has the Eaton 1100 Hydro? Im pretty certain its a 1997 model if that helps - I also noticed a filter on the back under the seat pan which im told is an indicator that this is the Eaton 100

Blasterdad
22 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

You might have a bad spindle or bearing on the bagger. I would try greasing the zerks and make sure there isn't anything binding on the deck. Check underneath the deck. I found nylon mesh onetime wrapped around a spindle onetime. It should all spin by hand.  

Nice tractor, and good luck!

:text-yeahthat: Good Idea regardless, grease it up, & sharpen or replace the blades if needed, the 48 inch deck I just got sounded good when I went to look at it, upon closer inspection when I got it home it seems the PO liked to mow over nylon rope & telephone wire, one bearing was stuck also....

Edited by Blasterdad
typo
  • Like 2

Ed Kennell
4 hours ago, George Washington said:

Can anyone confirm that this has the Eaton 1100 Hydro? Im pretty certain its a 1997 model if that helps - I also noticed a filter on the back under the seat pan which im told is an indicator that this is the Eaton 100

If it has hydraulic lift,  it has the Eaton 1100.  

And about 1/2 of the 1100s require a warm up period before the lift will function.  This is not a problem in fact Toro operator instructions recommend warm up.  Manual lift is Eaton 700.   

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1

Forest Road

Foot pedal kit is a home run! it looks factory. You can completely remove the column mounted lever. I chose to

leave it. My big feet are way to large to use the reverse.

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

It must be the month for 314's

I just got a beautiful 314-8 last week with a really nice 48 sd deck and I'm really happy with it. But I am a hydro guy I love my c160 with hydro so I wish my 314 was a hydrostatic drive. I haven't gotten to play with mine because it turned into winter here in Michigan. You got a really good deal also. We got blessed, I don't believe in luck. Like the guy said when the little boy told him you sure are lucky to have a nice house and new cars. The man said Yes the harder i work the luckier I get.

• Like 3

George Washington
22 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

the harder i work the luckier I get.

I like that - or the harder I work the more blessed I am - ill definitely be using that one

• Like 1

George Washington

UPDATE - I got it running properly - wont say what was wrong, we will just call it operator error. I changed the hydro fluid and filter and it had the original wheel horse filter still on. I also removed the gas tank and cleaned it out because I saw a bunch of crap inside. While the tank and seat were off I noticed that about half of the hydro fins were CAKED with crap, grass, mud, and sludge so the whole thing got a really good power washing. I would say it took an hour before I was happy with it. The only issue now is it seems to not go very fast in forward gear. I would say its as fast or maybe even faster going in reverse which seems odd. Did Wheel Horse make the forward and reverse gears the same speed?