Redmarl

New member and owner from Wales (Commando 7)

Redmarl

Hi, I was driving past a local junk shop last week and spotted a really cute little red tractor, I fell in love with it immediately. It will need some work but that's why I bought it, a nice project for my young aspiring engineer son and me. Turns out it is a Wheelhorse Commando 7 and this is all new to me, so can I pose a couple of questions?

It bears the serial numbers 1145 and 404504 model number 1.3731 what year was it made?

It has come with a loosely fitted 5hp Briggs & Stratton unit which I guess is not original, so what was?

Any info would be gratefully received.

Best regards to all.

Mark Reynolds, engineer and his young apprentice Ashley.

WP_20170303_16_51_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20170303_16_51_29_Pro.jpg

• Like 6

DougC

What a great find and such a great project for a family to share in!!!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Hello and   :text-welcomeconfetti:  to the forum.  Enjoy your new addition to the family.  :)

AMC RULES

68143.gif.c40c8f7ae10874fb667a2cf8fbdb653f.gifhdr-logo-100b.png.2e0758b19342f891dd7bdc654ae72995.png

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti:  @Redmarl .           I couldn't find any info on your tractor using those numbers.   

It does look similar to my 1968 Commando 8. M/N 1-4831 that has a 8HP K181S Kohler engine.

IMG_3303.thumb.JPG.b789124082be3d0db0e10c3e487baa76.JPGIMG_3302.thumb.JPG.e50813ba34b203464b70a67bb10763ac.JPG

N3PUY

Mine has a 6HP Tecumseh

IMG_5402.thumb.JPG.293669dede2105e5a4bb2ff683fd8ec9.JPG

IMG_5403.JPG.b3130362c9f1f26a3b2ce31d5f8e684f.JPG

Achto

:WRS:

I read a post by @CasualObserver from a few years ago that stated the Commando 7 was an export only model. Nice Tractor! It should make a great project. It should have a 7hp engine in it, I'm not sure if it would be a Kohler or if it would be a Tecumseh.

Edited by achto
  • Like 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, Redmarl said:

nice project for my young aspiring engineer son and me

:WRS:        Love to see father and son projects.     :text-coolphotos:      Some of our European members will probably be able to let you know what engine it was born with. My guess would be a 7 HP Tecumseh, but strictly a guess.

This thread may be interesting to you.

Edited by 953 nut

gwest_ca

Little known about the 1-3731 model. Most 1968 model numbers end in 31 so have to assume this one is no different.

With no other info or place for what we do know I added it to the 1968 Commando 8 information. This is the 3rd one recorded.

Garry

• Like 1

Daddy Don

:text-welcomeconfetti:

neil

Mark, Ashley , welcome to Redsquare , you have bought yourself a pretty rare to UK Commando 7 , but don't panic about it being rare you can find part here in UK fairly easy , the commando 7 is pretty much exactly the same as the commando 8 only engine sizes are different but most parts will fit both tractors . 

This project will be a wonderful bonding journey for you both and will be thoroughly enjoyable . You may wish to join our sister website !,, myoldmacine.com where you will find quite a few Wheelhorse owners based in UK and also USA . Both Redsquare & My old machine will be your best Wheelhorse manual that you will ever have,  also you can download your tractor manual from here .

One word of warning ,,,,,,,, this hobby is addictive and trust me you will end up owning one or two more tractors in the near future , I just hope you have a strong marriage as your wife MAY become a Wheelhorse widow .

i am based not too far from you here in Somerset and I started out with the same tractor as you and have been on an incredible journey with this hobby and have met some awesome people , I now currently own around twenty 15 Wheelhorse tractors .  

You should be able to find a Kohler engine on that famous auction site , they do come up quite often or feel free to ask other local UK members if they can help in locating parts . 

Good luck with the project & enjoy the ride 

meadowfield

Welcome to the group, that's a neat little find. Most commandos are later 8 or 800 models, the narrow 6 slot hood and narrow fronts makes them way more attractive to me....did I just say that :unsure:

ive not seen that model, last one I saw was 1-3742

like Neil I'm a little addicted and have more than I dare admit to the missus!

engines aren't too hard to find, we've just picked up a little k141 off that site for a few quid... just keep your eyes peeled. Fortunately howard gem engines are the same make and size usually and can drop in quite neatly!

have fun!

mark

chris sutton

:text-welcomeconfetti: always nice to have another member from the UK

Anglo Traction

Welcome  to RS Mark & Son Ltd ! :). Good to see you've rescued one that initially looks a pretty reasonable condition generally for a short frame.

Yes, a bit of a dilemma with the I.D of that model. They (U.S) exported WHs in greater numbers in the late 60s and before the Belgium Assembly Plant opened in March 69.

Does your Tractor Model/Serial plate show as South Bend Indiana, or is it a Belgium Plate?.

Your Number 1-3731 I suspect is a derivative from 1-3631 which was a 500 Special Model that had a Tecumseh H60 engine (if a 1968 machine).

So they probably altered the Model Number to reflect the Hp rating of the engine that was fitted to yours which was probably a Techy H70 (7hp) and labelled it as a Commando 7.

The Commandos 6 & 8 of 1968, I believe had 7inch wide rear wheels and the '68' 500 Special and the '69' Workhorse 700s had 6inch wide.

You seem to have 6" wides on yours.

Unlikely to find an Alloy H70 Techy in UK to get it back to original, so best look for a Cast Iron Kohler k181  for it, if you wish to get back to nearly what it should be like. 

Have a look through the Gallery section on here for the different models mentioned to look for similarities. Look forward to seeing your progress.

Best place to come for any further help, so just ask. 

• Like 1

Sparky

Sounds like these guys have got the year and motor type all figured out for you.

Enjoy this project with your young engineer!!

Mike.....

Stormin

:text-welcomeconfetti: To you both from oop north.

Redmarl

Wow, thanks for such a lovely warm welcome, restoration is well under way, I have been busy with a full strip down and wire brush and Ash has been on the paint brush, a light coat of red lead prior to proper paint. I will post some progress pics shortly and probably some more questions, in the meantime thank you to all.

Regards Mark.

Stormin

Start a thread in Restorations :handgestures-thumbupright:

T-Mo

Lee1977

My guess is that your tractor is the same as the 7 HP Work Horse over here. It had a Tecumseh engine. I can't fine a listing for it but I worked on it. I don't have a model number for it. Was going to buy it from him, but it was stolen out of his garage.