T-Mo

262 hours!  Nice find, very nice.

• Like 2

BOB ELLISON
Just now, T-Mo said:

262 hours!  Nice find, very nice.

T-mo I didn't even look at the hour meter untill I got it home

BOB ELLISON

The only bad thing I can think of is I don't know a lot about these command engines. I can work on K series engines but this is a whole new beast to me. Do you have to remove the head to clean carbon from top of piston ?? And the wireing is a nightmare.  Relays,switchs,and fuse block. I did download all the manuals for it so I guess I'll have to read a lot.

AMC RULES

:greetings-clapyellow:  Here's betting this...

was your attire for the day.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

58c1ba4c1370a_emoji-cowboy-bandit-face2383547.jpg.a50414b3080b112af3bf438ac9bea637.jpg

• Like 7

BOB ELLISON

@AMC RULES I didn't even ask if he would take less for it. Once I saw the tractor and deck I handed him what he asked for it. But I'll always wonder if I could have gotten it for less. Never know.

• Like 3

wildman

That ole rig would be in my living room

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
51 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

But I'll always wonder if I could have gotten it for less.

I'll bet the PO will have many sleepless nights ......could I have gotten more for It ?      

• Like 3

Tankman

Looks great! The Ms.'ll understand (?), won't she?

carrot-and-stick.jpg.118f912f6ab84496eda69113c0e07b93.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES
2 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

@AMC RULES I didn't even ask if he would take less for it. Once I saw the tractor and deck I handed him what he asked for it. But I'll always wonder if I could have gotten it for less. Never know.

:blink:  Any less...

the Mrs would have to bond you out. 

58c1dc2e6b631_emoji-cowboy-bandit.jpg.ff25b28a59298d22edb1594ddaed8050.jpg

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 4

BOB ELLISON
1 hour ago, Tankman said:

Looks great! The Ms.'ll understand (?), won't she?

carrot-and-stick.jpg.118f912f6ab84496eda69113c0e07b93.jpg

I don't need to use a carrot. I use my good looks. We have a understanding what ever she wants she gets and what every I want we talk about it .

• Like 8

can whlvr

that's a smoking deal,as we know that mower deck is worth double that alone

• Like 2

T-Mo

The Kohler Commands are commercial grade engines, found in commercial zero turns.  They come in both vertical and horizontal shaft configurations.  They're great engines, but like any engine, engine life depends on proper maintenance.

• Like 3

bslms

I have the 98 version of that tractor, I really like it.  The Command engines are very good in my experience.  I have several versions of the Commands on my commercial mowers and have found them to be trouble free and reliable with regular maintenance.  I have never had the need to decarbon on the heads, I suspect that is more of a flat head maintenance item.  Maybe the OHV motors burn more cleanly?  Also, with the hydraulic lifters valve lash is always good.

enjoy your new trac.

• Like 1

cschannuth

I have the exact same tractor with a 42 inch deck. It's also a low hour model but I had to pay more than that for mine, ha ha. That is a great deal. That command engine is by far the smoothest and quietest running that I have.  I will say that it doesn't seem to handle my 42 inch deck as well as I had hoped. I assumed with the smaller deck it would be able to mow at full speed like my 520 did with a 60 inch deck. However, it is much more comfortable in second gear and really mows well in first gear. It will be interesting to hear how yours runs with the 48 inch deck. Good luck and enjoy your new machine. 

• Like 1

T-Mo

I had a '98 314-8 with the Command engine, and a 48 inch deck.  It handled the deck pretty well, except for heavy, tall grass, which is seem to struggle in.

Here (was) my 314-8.

100_0411.JPG

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

Thank you guys @T-Mo @cschannuth and @bslms for all the info.when I started it I really like the sound of the engine. No smoke at all and it really purrs. The only thing I worry about is it didn't have the air filter cover on it so the carb was covered with grass. He didn't do any maintenance on this tractor. Oil was black and the seat switch was broken and i think that was the reason he parked it so I hot wired that switch to get it started. I will have to buy that switch. He said it has been in storage  for 2 years. I did take a picture of carb and it was scary. I didn't pull the carb off just the  bowl and sprayed off with carb cleaner. The little orange rubber is so the bolt will extend far enough so the cover can bolt on. He didnt figer that out. I had to change that to a tighter one now all is well. next is trans oil change. 

20170306_202052.jpg

Ed Kennell

That's one way to keep the filter clean.   :no:

BOB ELLISON
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

That's one way to keep the filter clean.   :no:

It starts right up  ED but I have to play the choke to keep it running I think I'll have to pull carb off and clean it really  good.

Other than that it's a very nice tractor.

I'm going to clean the deck and put it on to see if it turns ok. But I have to wait for warmer weather.  Cold here In michigan now.

• Like 1

Red144runner

Nice 3/14. I have a 3-15 with the command engine and a lot more hours. Mine was not properly maintained either but luckily no permanent damage. I'll agree the command kohler is a great engine. Very smooth, easy starting too. Mine runs a 44" dual stage no problem. I did have to make a receiver hitch to hold my suitcase weights because with nearly 400lbs up front weight is critical

IMG_2937.JPG

IMG_2961.JPG

• Like 4

BOB ELLISON
2 hours ago, Red144runner said:

Nice 3/14. I have a 3-15 with the command engine and a lot more hours. Mine was not properly maintained either but luckily no permanent damage. I'll agree the command kohler is a great engine. Very smooth, easy starting too. Mine runs a 44" dual stage no problem. I did have to make a receiver hitch to hold my suitcase weights because with nearly 400lbs up front weight is critical

IMG_2937.JPG

IMG_2961.JPG

This is my first 300 series all my other tractors are 1977 and older but I can say I like  this command engine so far.

It starts right up and when I get new tires on it I'll drive it around the yard.

Tires need tube's so I'll put new on it.

Forest Road

Well done! I made the same score few years back. Found a 2000 312.5 - 8 and 48" deck.  Think it had 200 hours for $200 Neutral switch on stick shift was broken. Owner had no idea how to repair. 

Best of luck w her!!!!

• Like 1

Amcwheel85

You stole that for sure. Almost looks new!

• Like 1