Team70R

Front mount crane

Team70R

I've seen plenty of rear mount cranes/booms but has anyone ever seen or built a front mount?? I know the front tires will take more abuse but I feel like the tractor will be more balanced if the crane is on the front

wes 

shallowwatersailor

I like the idea of having the crane in front as viewing the load is a lot easier. The issue with mounting in front is, I am assuming, the mounting point would be the front Attach-A-Matic. That is not as strong as mine on the rear using the 2" receiver hitch. If balance is a problem, just hang weight on the front.

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

I think if a "cradle" frame would be made/used like that for a 2stage blower attaching to the front and mid attach-a-matic points and maybe even brace it to the rear attach-a-matic like the Xi's 2stage setup then it very well could be stronger than a rear  mounted version and then you see exactly where your steering and what your picking up ect, just thinking out loud, Jeff.

• Like 1

Team70R

I was planning on making brackets that would bolt to the frame and run all the way back to the steering shaft. 

ericj

FEL is that not a front mount crane ? :hide:

eric j

• Like 6

Team70R

A loader is definitely on the list of future projects!

• Like 2

953 nut

If you get one that will slide into a 2" hitch receiver you could make a front hitch like the one in this thread by @cleat

c-series don

Be careful with this as the front axels can't hold the weight that the rear can. I know this because when I was using my FEL as a crane picking up my Onan generator one of the front axels broke tipping the tractor sideways. Then the cut pieces of railroad track I had for additional ballast on top of the rear counter weight slid off. Without that additional weight on the rear,the tractor tipped forward, the generator came crashing down. I had a very short chain so the bucket hit the air cleaner snapping off the carburetor on the generator! Moral of the story is be careful of what and how you pick things up!!!! P.S I didn't have the HD spindle kit at the time. 

• Like 5

Team70R

Oh wow!! How big was the generator??

c-series don

It is a 2 cylinder 7800kw Onan from the 1960s. I can't get a picture of it now, too much stuff in the way! By the way it did lift it although it didn't like it. However the spindles liked it less!! 

• Like 1

Team70R

I think you've convinced me to go rear mount!!

can whlvr

if you go on the front you want the crane to have its own axle and wheels,so the tractor just moves the rig around,then the axle doesn't take the weight,which will break,i too have broken spindles,and I didn't have a crane on it

• Like 1

Team70R
14 minutes ago, can whlvr said:

if you go on the front you want the crane to have its own axle and wheels,so the tractor just moves the rig around,then the axle doesn't take the weight,which will break,i too have broken spindles,and I didn't have a crane on it

Never thought about doing that!

GlenPettit

Can't find my photos of it, but saw a guy with a rear mount crane, using a Wheel Horse 'A-Frame' as the main beam (the snow plow frame from beneath the tractor), looked very neat and like it should be there.

• Like 2

953 nut
7 hours ago, GlenPettit said:

Can't find my photos of it, but saw a guy with a rear mount crane, using a Wheel Horse 'A-Frame' as the main beam (the snow plow frame from beneath the tractor), looked very neat and like it should be there.

That could eliminate the front end loading issue,  put a pair of BIG casters on the frame and have at it.

• Like 1

chris sutton

Here's a rear mounted crane i made up a few years back to move around lame horse's.

it was easy to make and works very well without putting any stress on the towing tractor.

Heres some photos of it behind my Suburban 400.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Team70R

That's awesome!! 

• Like 1

WHX??

Let's get @shallowwatersailor to chime in on this. He's got a rear mount that my be you could pilfer some ideas from.

Team70R

Well here it is! Decided to go rear mount. Complete with wireless remote winch! Gotta add some front weights next haha

IMG_2075.JPG

IMG_2076.JPG

IMG_2077.JPG

• Like 6