slim67

59 RJ value?

slim67

Can someone give me a fair value on a 59 RJ with snow plow? The tractor appears to be in good condition in the pics. Has a Clinton engine instead of Kohler. Also has rear fenders which I am not sure were optional that year? The ad doesnt mention if it runs at the moment just says"as is". Im curious, but think its maybe a little high? What do you guys think? This is assuming he still has it.

horse.jpg

00n0n_57jis7H7qKh_600x450.jpg

00a0a_9eduThx7xRV_600x450.jpg

• Like 3

wallfish

Go Get It !!!!!!!

Appears to have an original belt guard too.

A Clinton B1290 is a factory engine for that tractor

The plow angle handle is home made but no big deal

Has the factory RJ adapter for that suburban style blade

You may have just alerted others to this so it will be sold quickly. They are definitely becoming harder to find since many collectors are actively seeking them

• Like 3

slim67

I forgot to add that he is asking 650 though. Im sure its negotiable but wont know till i ask.

• Like 1

Racinbob

I'd say if it's something you've been looking for you should buy it. It looks pretty straight and you don't run across them that often. I would try to offer him less but if he was firm I'd go for it. Better hurry.....I can get there in about 16 hours :)

• Like 1

Forest Road

That's fare. Don't drag your feet any longer. Go get it! 

wallfish
30 minutes ago, slim67 said:

I forgot to add that he is asking 650 though. Im sure its negotiable but wont know till i ask.

Found the ad in less than 5 minutes. Surprised it's still up there after 12 days.

It has all of the goodies like the belt guard, heat shield, throttle control, hitch lift cable, toolbox, fenders and an un-cut hood. You can buy one missing some of those parts for less but will end up costing more when you buy them separate. Certainly worth it if it has an original RJ gas tank too.

original belt guard- $100-$150+

original heat shield- $75

original throttle- $25

un-cut hood - $150-$200

Front rims- +- $50

Toolbox and fenders- $50-$75 +-

lift cable -$25

RJ gas tank- $100

Just estimates on part prices since I haven't been looking at them for a long time but you get the idea

• Like 2

slim67
1 minute ago, wallfish said:

Found the ad in less than 5 minutes. Surprised it's still up there after 12 days.

It has all of the goodies like the belt guard, heat shield, throttle control, hitch lift cable, toolbox, fenders and an un-cut hood. You can buy one missing some of those parts for less but will end up costing more when you buy them separate. Certainly worth it if it has an original RJ gas tank too.

original belt guard- $100-$150+

original heat shield- $75

original throttle- $25

un-cut hood - $150-$200

Front rims- +- $50

Toolbox and fenders- $50-$75 +-

lift cable -$25

RJ gas tank- $100

Just estimates on part prices since I haven't been looking at them for a long time but you get the idea

I search for " wheelhorse" and it didnt come up.I found it just by scanning thru farm and garden section. I think its nice but Im still trying to finish mine. I really dont have the room indoors and its a purchase based on emotions. I am building an AK47 variant this summer and that will be my next project. I talked to the guy and he was very friendly on the phone. He said he has a manual to go with it and there is an issue albeit a minor one with the carb. I have a habit of buying it because"its there" sometimes and regretting it later. Is there a value difference between RJs and Suburbans?

55 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

I'd say if it's something you've been looking for you should buy it. It looks pretty straight and you don't run across them that often. I would try to offer him less but if he was firm I'd go for it. Better hurry.....I can get there in about 16 hours :)

If you do stop by and say hello!

• Like 2

Racinbob
4 minutes ago, slim67 said:

If you do stop by and say hello!

I was just kidding. I wouldn't jump on someone elses find. Now stopping by to say hello I would. :)

Search wheel horse instead of wheelhorse. Like John, I too found it in a few minutes. It took me longer to find where Richfield was at. It kills me to look at CL for places in the midwest. There's so much more than there is down here. :wacko:

• Like 1

slim67
12 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

I was just kidding. I wouldn't jump on someone elses find. Now stopping by to say hello I would. :)

Search wheel horse instead of wheelhorse. Like John, I too found it in a few minutes. It took me longer to find where Richfield was at. It kills me to look at CL for places in the midwest. There's so much more than there is down here. :wacko:

No problem Bob. I think I will have to pass on this one. I didn't try the wheel horse text so that explains it. It's a nice little tractor for sure.

• Like 1

slim67

Ok I talked to guy and I'm heading down there. 500 cash and hope my wife doesn't kill me.

• Like 6

ACman

On 2/26/2017 at 1:27 PM, slim67 said:

No problem Bob. I think I will have to pass on this one. I didn't try the wheel horse text so that explains it. It's a nice little tractor for sure.

:text-yeahthat: ... I always search " wheel horse " and " wheelhorse " in the [forsale] section using the [all] category . That way you won't miss one if listed under let's say [antiques] .  

Now let's hope you can get that horse for $500  :thumbs2: !  :text-woo:

Edited by ACman
  • Like 1

Racinbob
13 minutes ago, slim67 said:

Ok I talked to guy and I'm heading down there. 500 cash and hope my wife doesn't kill me.

Just make sure it's yours before you tell her. Forgiveness is easier to get than permission. :blink:

• Like 3

slim67

I called the guy and explained that I would have to pass on it due to price but wanted to extend him the courtesy so he isnt waiting to hear. I hate when people do that to me which is often these days. Anyways I asked him to keep my number and that I would pass this info on to others. Lastly I told him the most I could go is 500 if he changed his mind. He then said " bring me the money". I am heading down in 10 minutes and will post pics when I get back. Wife is OK with it. I always tell her that if something happens to me she shouldnt have a problem selling my guns or tractors.:o

• Like 2

wallfish

For $500 it's a no brainer.

2 hours ago, slim67 said:

Is there a value difference between RJs and Suburbans?

RJs tend to sell a little higher

Curious if there is still an ID tag on there

russtiron

:wwp:

wildman
2 hours ago, slim67 said:

Don't worry we will attend your funeral good luck.

• Like 1

slim67

It turned out to be better than expected. I wasn't too concerned about it not running since the old guy said it did, but we sprayed a shot of ether into the carb and it started for a bit. I don't plan on doing anything to this for a long time if even at all. The thing I liked is all the paperwork that came with it. I am very satisfied with this tractor and told the owner as much. Here are some pics.

IMG_0446.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0448.JPG

IMG_0449.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

IMG_0453.JPG

IMG_0454.JPG

• Like 8

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:                                       :woohoo:                                         :bow-blue:                                                         :handgestures-thumbupright:

wallfish

Nice score. Since he had all of those manuals, did you ask if he had any of those attachments?

Is there an ID tag on the front of the left frame rail?

slim67
2 hours ago, wallfish said:

For $500 it's a no brainer.

RJs tend to sell a little higher

Curious if there is still an ID tag on there

You are right about that. I didnt think he would take my offer seriously so you can imagine how fast I had my trailer hooked up. The tag is there but is painted over and one end is lifting. I will have to try and remove the paint. The hood decals are also painted over.

9 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Nice score. Since he had all of those manuals, did you ask if he had any of those attachments?

No there were no attachments aside from the blade. The little card with the tassle is even in the paperwork.  

• Like 1

slim67
1 hour ago, wildman said:

Don't worry we will attend your funeral good luck.

well at least you wont have far to go !

slim67
On 2/26/2017 at 5:26 PM, wallfish said:

I did manage to remove paint on the frame decal. The serial I can make out but the only thing I could see on model number was rj 5 and couldnt make out whether it was a 9 or not. I will have to try it in better lighting. The serial looks like 18352? Again I will have to try better lighting to tell.

• Like 2

12 hp Kohler

That's a great score that you got on the rj, is it your first rj?

wallfish
1 hour ago, slim67 said:

the only thing I could see on model number was rj 5 and couldnt make out whether it was a 9 or not

Curious because there has never been an original tag shown with RJ-59 on it, just RJ-58.

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Can we see a pict of that tag posted here?