19richie66

Skittles, the GT14

19richie66

Made a plate today to relocate the throttle and choke down where the amp guage used to be. Ran out of machine screws so just riveted them in till I get some more. Have to make the amp guage hole bigger and square, then mount it up. Im replacing the original throttle and choke cables with these from a c-175 and will fill the cable housing holes with push button switches. Knobs will get reworked too. Just trying out some different things.

IMG_5449.JPG

IMG_5450.JPG

IMG_5451.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

Well done... I like the idea!

• Thanks 1

19richie66
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Well done... I like the idea!

Thanks! Hope it works:thumbs:

JPWH

Plate looks good Richie.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aldon

Anything is better than the low quality choke and throttle reproduction stuff we have to settle with at this point. Nice work!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

fast88pu
1 hour ago, Aldon said:

Anything is better than the low quality choke and throttle reproduction stuff we have to settle with at this point. Nice work!

That is what I was mentioning to you aldon for your set up

• Like 3

Sarge

I think it's a good plan - getting tired of drilling tiny holes through the handles/cable and putting a pin in every replacement locking (older) style throttle cable - the knobs always work loose in short order and won't let the throttle lock . There is nothing worse than a new part that doesn't work as it should - you'd think someone could make a new cable that worked correctly - even at a higher price it would be worth it . No wonder good looking/working used parts are creeping up in price...

Sarge

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

19richie66

DISCLAIMER: YOU CANNOT SWAP THE AXLES OUT OF A GT14 TRANSAXLE INTO AN EATON 1100 TRANSAXLE.  :naughty: BUT...... you can if you use a D160 axle and an Eaton 1100 axle. :thumbs:

So I finally got all my transmission gaskets and seals in so I thought I would tackle that today. Split it back apart and tacked up my gaskets and replaced the brake shaft seal. Put a little grease on the seals and slid it together. Got to looking at it and seemed like one axle was sticking out farther than the other. So back to measuring and found a 5 inch difference. :think: Now this is with the gt14 axles in the eaton 8 pinion differential. A 520 has the same end caps on the diff whereas the gt14's are different and offset to one side. So back out and flipped it around to test it the other way.Better but still stuck out farther on one side. Measured the 520 axles and there was a 3" difference in length. Measuring the gt14's axles and there was only one inch difference in length. So I started lining up axles on the bench to try and get the 3" like the original 520 axles since that was the case they were going in. Remembered I had a D160 axle laying on the floor. Grabbed it and measured some combinations and got what I needed. The D160 axle was 3-3/8" longer than the long axle out of the eaton. Other than the keyway being different, it's the same diameter and would work. Put them in and it was just a hair too long. Consulted Aldon, the Swami of GT14 's and he said it should be good to go. I am already too far in it to quit.  So I cut 3/8" off of the D axle and got my needed width the same on both sides. I knew i saved that axle for a reason. Dont have a lot of photos because my hands were covered in gasket tack and oil. But I got some. What a day. :laughing-rolling:

IMG_5453.JPG

New seals #6449 and #7443 

IMG_5456.JPG

IMG_5459.JPG

520 axle this side...............................D160 this side 👍

IMG_5460.JPG

Cut 3/8" off the D axle ✔️

IMG_5462.JPG

Polished smooth and chamfered ✔️

IMG_5463.JPG

Was going to do the black trans and chassis but decided it needed to be red. I have several ideas for paint.

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 7

19richie66

Steering tower cut and plate mounted. Knobs trimmed and switches test fitted where cables used to be. Need to move the ignition switch to the right and the lighter will go where the switch is now.:handgestures-thumbupright:

IMG_5469.JPG

Edited by 19richie66
picture
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

JPWH

Looking good Richie. Looking forward to seeing the exhaust.

Jay

19richie66

Basically building a 418 muffler size wise but with just the one inlet. Also going to use a chrome heat shield setup off of a 418 Kohler magnum mounted to the rail that runs under the hood above the exhaust. Like in the pic.

IMG_5528.JPG

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 4

19richie66

Tried to drill the inlet pipe for ports but I had no good drill bits for the job. Out come Mr.Plasma and took care of the job. Pretty? Not really but no one will see the inside anyways. Will it work? I don't know. Took some ideas from different things I have seen on the web. Cut the opening on the side for the pipe to stick out. Cut it to length and used a stainless nut for spacing inside. I'll get this much welded and then finish the front end cap and outlet. Ill put a flat bar support bracket on the back, midway.

IMG_5534.JPG

IMG_5535.JPG

IMG_5536.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

Aldon

Plasma is handy stuff!

• Like 3

JPWH

Looks like a nice cut to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

I'm with Hank Ritchie...As they say good enough for the women we hang out out! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19richie66

Little more on the muffler today. Made the cutout for the front outlet pipe and a rear brace to the engine. Also fitted the 418 exhaust guard. Still have to make a mounting bracket for it. Going to weld that to the brace that runs the right side under the hood and try to incorporate the coil and solenoid mount so they are up and out of the way.

IMG_5549.JPG

IMG_5551.JPG

IMG_5552.JPG

IMG_5548.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

Aldon

Looks awesome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

Almost hate to cover it :think:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ztnoo

19richie66

Holy crapola!!!!

Exquisite!!!

You could sell those......SERIOUSLY.

I'd buy one.......

Great work. Impressive skills on display!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

Thank you Steve. My son gets all the credit for sticking the metal together. I just did the fit up. I wish I had the time and materials to make more but it's all I can do to get one done. I am planning on making a new fuel tank for it made of 1/8" aluminum sheet. Going to have my son weld that up for me too. He got into the right profession. :thumbs:

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 3

oldredrider

Once you get the gas tank made, what color are you gonna paint that?  :ROTF:

• Haha 3

19richie66

It wont be gold, green or blue. :laughing-rolling: Either red or charcoal grey.

• Like 1

oldredrider

Ultra maroon????

• Like 2

JPWH

I agree. Awesome! 

• Thanks 1