Sign in to follow this  
T-Mo

Jim M's 308-8 & 1986 300 series

T-Mo

I was just skimming through the gallery (yeah, I know, I need to get a life :whistle: ), and noticed that Jim M's 1986 308-8 has a white decal instead of the maroon stripe that I was expecting of seeing. See Jim's 308-8 here: 1986 308-8

I was wondering what was up, i.e. the maroon faded, someone made their own decal, etc. So, I went to the 1986 brochure that Jason sent me (again, need a life) and saw something interesting (maybe not to experienced maroon stripe experts). The 312 and 310s had maroon stripes, but the 308 did not. See picture below:

1986_brochure_300.jpg

Sorry, but I didn't know this before. Dustin, I'm sure, knew this and a few others, but it's new to me. I wonder what other years of the maroon stripes we would see an exception? :thumbs:

Jim_M

Terry,

It's hard to tell from the picture, but the decal has a silver metallic background.

T-Mo

Jim,

Actually, it does appear sort of silver metallic-like. Also, interesting is yours has a black grill and the one in the brochure has a red grille. :thumbs:

KyBlue

Looks...very Odd with the Red Grille... think the black looks much better IMO

Jim_M

I got it from the original owner and I can guarantee that the decals and paint are original.

T-Mo

It looks original to me. The red grille/black grille thing must be one of those Wheel Horse quirks that defy common conceptions. I know there was discussions on the red grille here before.

Duff

Somewhere here I thought I saw a thread that discussed the red-hooded 308-8's. :whistle: As I recall it was a rarity but factory nonetheless. Dustin will have the low-down, I'm sure!

Duff :thumbs:

DMESS

You'll find the unusual color scheme on the 1985 310-8 and the 1986 308-8. It was also used on the 108-R and 208-3 in 1985 and possibly 1986. The decals ARE silver. These machines are the ones rumored to have been available in a certain chain store or something to that effect. I don't know the exact story, but this is what I've heard over the years. BP might have more info about that tale.

As far as the grille being black on Jim's machine......I really can't answer that one. I've never seen another "silver stripe" with a black grille. All the others I've seen have been red grilles. Could have been a mix up since the other models that year were using the black masked hoods.

Personally, the silver stripes just don't do it for me. :thumbs:

T-Mo

Personally, the silver stripes just don't do it for me. :whistle:

It would be too long of a moniker "The Maroon and Silver Stripe Junkie". :thumbs:

oldwhman

I have a 310-8 that had the red grill and rear hoodstand. it's an 86 model. i painted the grill and hoodstand gloss semi gloss black like most other 300 series, but i kept the silver decals.......a litttle different but nice. Its a Wheelhorse of course :banana:

Red Horse

Terry, You can add this to the mix as well. On the picture thats at the beginning of the thread the 308 has red deck wheels. My 308 has the red grill, silver decal with maroon letters and SILVER deck wheels. All origional. I think its like someone recently said , they used up what was available before moving on to the next replacement color part or paint scheme. I work on a particular antique car marquis and I see they did it all the time. Sometime it was a mid year change sometimes its just when old inventory gave out. Makes for graet comparisons though. :thumbs:

oldandred

Some of the all red wheel horses were sold by a big box store Lowes belive it or not I forgot the years but Bp junk knows

Jim_M

I got all of the original paperwork with mine including the original purchase order. It originally came from a Wheel Horse dealer about 4 miles from me.

It's been my main plowing tractor all winter. I've done a lot of plowing this winter and it's only used about a gallon of gas. I originally got it because the price was right and thought I would use it for trading stock, but now I think I'll keep it around for plowing.

I mowed with it a couple of times last summer and it was just too slow for me. I'm used to a 48 or 60 inch deck and a hydro tractor.

oldwhman

Silver decals on my 85 310-8100_0627.jpg

T-Mo

If you haven't already, please put this picture of your 310-8 in the picture gallery. :thumbs:

bitten

Just to add to the confussion, I have a 85' 310-8 red hood that had the moroon strips on it. There is a member on here(dont remember who) that has the same tractor but has the silver ones on it. I have been very curius about the red hoods and now just as curius about the strips. I cant say that the strips on mine are origanal or the red hood but juging from the condition when I got it I dout anyone did anything like paint or redecal it.

I would love to find out what all this means.

P.J.