C-121uk

RJ gas tank help

C-121uk

My RJ 58 didn't come with a gas tank, will a tank off a K141 engine fit in the brackets on an RJ hood, i've always thought a k91 tank is smaller but my eyes could be deceiving me :blink: 

Thanks

953 nut

I think that the K91 tank is a smaller diameter. If you are going for total originality the answer is no;   if you are looking functionality you can just adapt the mounting straps and use it.

• Like 1

C-121uk
10 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I think that the K91 tank is a smaller diameter. If you are going for total originality the answer is no;   if you are looking functionality you can just adapt the mounting straps and use it.

Thanks, I thought they looked a little smaller, i'll have to have a look and see what modifications might have to be made :)

• Like 1

RJcollector

There is a tank off a suburban on ebay which I believe is the same as an RJ.  Ive seen them come up on ebay once in a while. Good Luck

Edited by kfx400

wallfish

Suburban tanks are the same size but not the same as far as filler neck location. The RJ tank's neck is closer to the edge and the mounting straps on the hood match with that. Think the fuel outlet is also in a different location. Suburban straps match their respective style tank. Subtle differences but they are different. 

On 2/22/2017 at 5:18 AM, C-121uk said:

Thanks, I thought they looked a little smaller, i'll have to have a look and see what modifications might have to be made 

A K91 tank is quite a bit smaller, about 1/3 the capacity. But a K91 doesn't drink fast so they can certainly be used.

• Like 1

RJcollector

@wallfish   I didn't know that about the tanks. Thanks for the info

wallfish

No Problem

Once you own a few and try to swap parts and/or find those parts, you tend to notice the small differences. It doesn't take much to get a Suburban tank to fit a RJ, especially if the straps were broken off since they can easily be re positioned. The back strap barely hangs on to the rear of the tank when it's attached to the hood in the original position.

• Like 2

C-121uk
6 hours ago, wallfish said:

Suburban tanks are the same size but not the same as far as filler neck location. The RJ tank's neck is closer to the edge and the mounting straps on the hood match with that. Think the fuel outlet is also in a different location. Suburban straps match their respective style tank. Subtle differences but they are different. 

A K91 tank is quite a bit smaller, about 1/3 the capacity. But a K91 doesn't drink fast so they can certainly be used.

Thanks, I thought they were smaller, my hood doesn't have the mounting straps so we'll be fabricating some new ones, my clinton engine i sourced for my RJ came with a small tank and if thats salvageable then we'll be making that fit.

Thanks for your help :thanks: