Erby

wheelhorse c81 charging problem

Erby

I seem to have a problem with the charging system on my wheel horse I have to recharge the battery every 3to 4 days, how does the magneto charge the  battery? the only wire connected to the ignition switch (colour orange)and the regulator has 12 volts with the ignition on flowing towards the regulator . when the engine is running the amp meter fluctuates across the gauge but steadies down to a 2 amp discharge when revving. help 

953 nut

The first step in curing any electrical problem is to clean and tighten all electrical connections including grounds and the base of the voltage regulator where it is bolted. 

2 hours ago, Erby said:

how does the magneto charge the  battery?

The magneto has nothing to do with charging, there is a separate set of coils for that. There are a couple of wires coming from the engine to the regulator, you should read about 36 volts AC between the two wires.

58a98307e3a62_Mag.ignitiontractor-wiring.thumb.jpg.ab4070b491c69f270dbd3a41fd347521.jpg

• Like 3

squonk

By Richard's diagram a good place to start is there 12V to the regulator. Power has to come from the switch to the regulator and the charging voltage has to go through that same contact to get to the battery. We see many bad connections at that switch and a lot of bad switches due to high current going through it because of said bad connections. :banana-wrench:

• Like 2

Blasterdad

I have had bad connections on both of my C-81's at the regulator, wiggle the wire connector & watch the ammeter while running.

Rob R

I purchased a C-81 last summer and it would not charge, tested everything AC voltage, fuses etc. etc. as per the good folks on this site.... everything chk's out good finally took the regulator off the machine took a flap sander and cleaned the mounting surface on the tractor..... simply held the rectifier to the new surface and started her UP...  I couldn't believe it the charging volt meter showed charge and it has worked perfectly ever since.  I have since talked to the PO and he stated that that the tractor had not charged correctly in close to ten years.... of course he didn't mention that when I purchased from him DUH!

Edited by rgrottk
  • Like 2

rmaynard

First thing is to make sure that you have good ground connections from the battery to the frame, frame to the engine, and regulator to the frame. Next, use your multi-meter to see what your charging voltage is. Connect your probes to the (+) and (-) of the battery. With the engine OFF, the battery voltage should be around 12VDC. With the engine running, you have have at least 13.5 VDC. If not, check the stator voltage. You should have 38 to 45 volts AC from the stator.

• Like 4

Erby

Thanks for all your replies, Its dark now here in France I will check out your suggestions tomorrow and let you know the results, Erby 

• Like 1