Achto

McLean restoration

slim67

Is there a cover for the gears? I was on raregardentractors.com and didnt see any McCleans so you certainly do have something unusual. I cant wait to see it finished

I just checked raregardentractors wanted list and a McClean is one of their choices along with a Rideaway Sr.

• Like 2

Achto
1 hour ago, slim67 said:

Is there a cover for the gears?

Yes the transmission gears are covered with a piece of 1/8" plate steel & a gasket. Raregardentractors.com is where I found the first pic of one of these when I was searching to find out what I had.

slim67
46 minutes ago, achto said:

Yes the transmission gears are covered with a piece of 1/8" plate steel & a gasket. Raregardentractors.com is where I found the first pic of one of these when I was searching to find out what I had.

I wonder if they found one yet? They had some interesting tractors and were still looking for others. It's good to see the interest in classic garden tractors. I never new that many existed at one time. The work you are doing is top notch. It will be worth the wait to see it run.

• Like 2

953 nut
10 hours ago, achto said:

transmission gears are covered with a piece of 1/8" plate steel & a gasket. Raregardentractors.com is where I found the first pic of one of these when I was searching to find out what I had.

:text-coolphotos:          Fantastic work! Unless you already have some Glyptal on hand I would think the red enamel would be fine for this area.  

:twocents-02cents:   I think you should skip the 1/8" plate steel in favor of a sheet of Plexiglass, that drive system is too unique to cover up.

• Like 6

Achto
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

:twocents-02cents:   I think you should skip the 1/8" plate steel in favor of a sheet of Plexiglass, that drive system is too unique to cover up.

I agree, it does seems a shame to cover up all the work that was done on the transmission. I had actually thought about using a piece of Plexiglass but the cover also serves to hold the shifter in gear.

• Like 2

Achto

I made a lil more progress this weekend. For the final drive to the rear wheels i need to have a pulley and sprocket on the same hub. To accomplish this I purchased a W weld on hub (1 5/8 o.d.) with a 1/2" bore to fit the 8" pulley. I chose 1/2" bore because I needed to bore it to 3/4" and did not want the key way. I bored the hole and then turned the back side of the hub to a V hub size (1 1/8") to fit the sprocket needed to drive the wheel.  We all like action shots, so I'll start there.

58cf2c22c8ef5_drive5.thumb.jpg.d9bdbf2eea8858dde5c51672185cb6ad.jpg

An original hub next to the first one that I turned to fit my needs. The reason for the step? I wanted clearance for the chain side plates and a positive stop for the sprocket when I pressed it on.

58cf2c2bd0dfe_drive10.thumb.jpg.3954f447fd3fde6d156cca05d414dcf9.jpg

I then welded the sprocket on and faced it so that the 5/8" bushing would seat properly. The pulley was then welded on for a finished product. This was repeated for the drive on the opposite side.

58cf2c3508f7b_drive15.thumb.jpg.aaed708eae8fd87b57d60e0eabafdd25.jpg

Today was rust evacuation day! After just under a barrel of sand I have some nice clean metal ready for paint.:greetings-clappingyellow:

58cf2e122eeb5_Chassis50.thumb.jpg.233057c6738463ca749e03aea0d49458.jpg

I did coat the inside of the trans with an internal engine paint. If all goes well I should be able to spray the rest of these parts next weekend. :handgestures-fingerscrossed: 

• Like 6

Aldon

Seems like more than a bit....

thanks for the pics

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 2

Achto
3 minutes ago, Aldon said:

Seems like more than a bit....

I might have gotten more done but I had to cut wood on Sat.:D

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

T-Mo

Looking good and fantastic progress on this tractor.  The frame on those looks pretty beefy.

• Like 2

Achto

It does seem pretty ridged, every thing on the frame is bent from 1/8" steel.

Achto

Final assembly on the transmission was more of a challenge that I thought it would be. The last time that I put it together I did not install the keys on the input shaft. After a couple trial & errors I found the right combination. There is not much room to put the keys in, even when you get the combination right. One last pic of the trans before I cover it up.

58e198c9de085_assy10.thumb.jpg.bb0e0e7f23b25867f7b001836e615699.jpg

It took the aid of two spring compressors to get the tension correct for the chain steering.

58e198c0b85a0_assy5.thumb.jpg.5d06d829bb8cd84cc0a7fb537f9e37d3.jpg

I still have some parts to make, but it's starting to look like a tractor.:)

58e198d2ef8c9_assy20.thumb.jpg.7d54061e307acc41f9e13c81216ec938.jpg58e198dc096bc_assy25.thumb.jpg.3945368de94e6792cd1cd6b1ea1a52a2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

I can not wait to see the finished product and a video of it moving.  

• Like 1

19richie66

Very impressive Dan!

• Like 1

Aldon

Agreed 

• Like 1

Achto

I almost forgot to give @WHX9 Jim a thanks. My punch set did not go large enough to make the shaft seals on the transmission. He suggested to sharpen the edges of on old socket that had the correct o.d. This worked great! Thanks Jim!

Thanks to all for the comments & complements. This has been my most challenging restore to date, but I'm finally starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Edited by achto
  • Like 4

WHX??

Holy crap Dan you did get some things done on it! Amazing you get anything done at all what with me bringing you blocks to hone, coworkers bringing in bikes for an oil change and neighbors wanting jump starts.

That tranny looks much better in the tractor than in a box, starting to get the big picture here now. I got absolutely nothing done this weekend other than getting the warehouse  cleaned out and still not done with that.

Glad to hear the socket thing worked for a punch....I was just thinkin out loud!

Nother thinkin out loud here... and speaking of lights over the tunnel ....I would guess there is a cover over that transmission, how about a plexiglass cover over it to show how that works at shows and what not?

Edited by WHX9
  • Like 1

Achto
26 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

Holy crap Dan you did get some things done on it! Amazing you get anything done at all what with me bringing you blocks to hone, coworkers bringing in bikes for an oil change and neighbors wanting jump starts.

I knew Sat was gonna be a lil busy. On Sun I locked the garage door from the inside & left the lights off.:ph34r:, :D

• Like 1

Achto

I had a short day at work today so I was able to get some shop time. While I was hooking up the throttle I thought that some of you may be interested in the simple design of it. Just a bent piece of 1/4" round stock. A clip holds it against the body and provides tension to hold it where you position it.

58e2e2a84bfa4_assy30.thumb.jpg.aa4ea8b6082929030c7228f33680af6c.jpg

A small piece of wire then attaches the rod to the governor wheel.

58e2e2b1448bb_assy31.thumb.jpg.c6c82fd2bb06d2e05e50f5638fa3329b.jpg

After hooking the throttle linkage up I decided that today was the day to pull the rope for the first time after my rebuild. I'm happy to report that after 3 pulls it fired right up.:greetings-clappingyellow: The little K91 purrs like a kitten.:D Now I'm getting really anxious to be able to go for a ride.

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Relax Dan these things take time... oops you got how many days till the first show of the season!?!? To heck with deadlines  and all that BS this ain't no stupid realityTV show! Unless Discovery channel comes along .. I doubt it!  I need the ability to lock myself in the shop! :)

• Like 3

slim67

Along with the others here, I also cant wait to see it finished. It will be unique for sure.

• Like 1

JC 1965

:text-yeahthat:   Looks great.    :thumbs2:

• Like 1

T-Mo

Maybe you need a Club Membership badge for your signature.

Mclean logo.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Achto

I LIKE IT!!  :D  Thanks T-Mo !

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2