FELOPZD

520H or 520Xi? HELP!!!

FELOPZD

Hello everyone,

I NEED HELP!

I came across a gentleman that is selling his whole Wheel Horse collection to clear out his garage.  This is what he has:

($600)   93 520H, 1400hrs  runs perfect, 48" deck. Torn seat. 20hp Onan.  Has owned since new.  He says it is a gas guzzler.

($1000) 01 520xi, 2889 hrs (key must have been left on).  20hp kohler. Looks in good shape.  tight and shows little wear.   Starts, runs fine. only a puff of smoke at initial start-up. minor Hydro noise, but it was 25 degrees out.

comes with 78363 48" deck, 42" blower.

($500)  additional 60" xi deck, clean, no rust, original

($1000) 268h with 360hrs in the best condition of the 3.

($1200) 52" Z-master zero-turn with 600 hrs.

($500)   02 520lxi for parts, running.

($3500) for everything above.

I am upgrading, potentially from a Deere GT225 with around 500hrs.  The GT is uncomfortable, and the 42" deck is small.  I have hilly terrain and about an acre of grass.  

I need the tractor for snow removal and mowing only, in addition to hauling a trailer to/from the woods.  I have a 1981 1710 Ford tractor with a FEL, PTO/3pt, and back blade for big jobs.

Please steer me correctly.  Tell me what to look for specifically, as I am new to Wheel Horse.  Thanks for any/ALL input!!!

-Eric

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Regarding the 520xi, are you sure that it is 2,889 hours or 288.9 hours? There is a .10th hour digit on the meter. Also the hour meter only registers with the engine running. It is in series with the oil pressure sensor. A puff of smoke at startup is common for the Kohler Command twin. Hydro noise is also common in the cold.

• Like 2

FELOPZD

Thanks!  I am pretty sure it was 2889, unless the tenths place wasn't white, then its possible that it was 288.9.  it the tenths a white position?  all the digits I saw were black.

Cee245

The 520H doesn't have cruise control where the 520xi does. If the 520xi is closing in on 3000hrs then its about beat. Thats all you could expect from a motor. A well maintained 520H should go for 2000hrs.  Ask the guy what he thinks, surely he'll know if its 2889 or 288.9.  I don't know anything about the 268h. Good luck and welcome to Red Square!  This site is AMAZING with all the support and knowledge!

Also, how does the 520LXI look? Those are liquid cooled but I'm unsure how an engine swap would work.  There are tons of guys on here that are wayyyyyy smarter than me so wait to hear from all of us.

Cory

Edited by cee245

shallowwatersailor

I

58 minutes ago, FELOPZD said:

Thanks!  I am pretty sure it was 2889, unless the tenths place wasn't white, then its possible that it was 288.9.  it the tenths a white position?  all the digits I saw were black.

If the original hour meter, it should be a Quartz meter with L to R  the hours (4 places) are white on black and the fifth place is black on white.

jellyghost

Are you planning to resell any of the tractors?  It sounds like you only need one or two tractors, and price may be an important factor in your decision.  The xi series is different than most wheel horses (so is the 268h), and I think it has a limited re-sale market.  The 520h is more of a traditional wheel horse, and it is pretty sought after.  As far as I know, the xi may be better for your application, but it seems like he has them priced high.  I hope a more experienced member on this forum comments on the pricing.

Forest Road

The Xi is far superior to the 520h. It's faster forward and especially reverse, tighter turning diameter, easier to control ground speed. Hi/low trans w a true neutral which will allow you to push it, if it ever breaks. Can't easily push the 520h. I'd have to assume the key was left on at some time.

I have a 522xi. Mine was offered w loader, mixer deck, worn out 2 stage blower & snow cab. I only wanted it for the blower. Everything else was BEAT! That being said it had 1100 hours on it. Seriously neglected. It only required some basic maintenance and a lot of lock-tite, I've had it 3-5 years. It runs great.  Hydro is strong. Even in low range it's much fast than my 314h in reverse. 

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

This is what the hour meters look like on the Xi series see pics...and as far as the 268h it's a really good "lawn" tractor (the forebearer of the Xi series "lawn and garden" tractors from the classics like the 520h) it has a vertical shaft engine vs the horizontal shaft and attachments/implements are rare/hard to find as well as the Xi series vs the classics(520h) if you had the money the package deal is well worth it vs buying it separately, then flipping what you don't want/need, I have 3 520H's all have under 800hrs (1 bought new), 1 520Xi and it does turn tighter than the other 3 (but limited attachments) and a 523Dxi (diesel) with a bad engine, I'm still kinda partial to my classics but only had the Xi's for a limited time, and a foot pedal motion control conversion kit can be had for the 520H like the Xi's, and Forest Road hit the high points there, Jeff.

IMAG1742.jpg

IMAG1749.jpg

• Like 1

FELOPZD

Thanks guys,

If it has 2889 run hours, which the hours do show, then I'm out on that one.  However, the tractor does not look like a 2889 hr machine.  I'd say by wear and tear, it's well under 1,000.  The seat has no damage, and there is little to no steering slop or noticeable motor/hydro deficiency.  Can anyone verify shallowwatersailor's take that the timer is in the oil sump system?  I love the unit and it would definitely be an upgrade to my GT225.  The xi has my full attention, with the 520h just outside its radar.  The 268 is priced too high at $1000, I think.

lodestonefarm

Hi Eric-

I've got about the same situation.  I've got less grass to cut (probably .75 acres) and a 700' driveway to keep clear of snow in winter.  I've also got a 24HP Yanmar diesel with loader and box blade for the 'big' jobs.  I found a 520H with 60" deck, 700 hours, and snow plow for $1000 about 2 years ago.  I'm very pleased with it.  It does a fine job mowing and handles the snow duties with joy.  I added a tall-chute snow blower which has no problem keeping the driveway clear.  I know nothing about the Xi, though I will say I wish the 520 were faster in both forward and reverse.  A little extra speed for plowing snow and also when cutting grass would be nice.  Even with the wide deck there's plenty of power to mow faster.   My yard has lots of obstacles so higher speed isn't that big a deal.  If the 520 is in good shape, I'm sure it will meet your needs.  I like that implements aren't that hard to find.  It is a bit thirsty but I really do like that it's gas.  It starts right up in winter where as my 'big' tractor needs to be plugged in.  Not the 520.  

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

The Demystification Manual on page 7-146H has the Hour Meter circuit.

https://www.toro.com/getpub/13298

T-Mo

The only comment I can make is this, if you're wanting to upgrade from GT225, the 268-H isn't it.  The GT225 is actually a bit more tractor than the 268H, or at least equal to it.  The 520-H, though I like them, isn't too much more an improvement than the GT225, plus you would be loosing the foot control.  About the only thing the 520-H would add is maybe a wider range of attachments since Wheel Horse attachments fit a lot of years and a lot of models, plus you can put a 60 inch deck on it.  The GT225, the biggest deck is 54 inches.  The other advantage to the 520-H versus the GT225, is a metal hood instead of a plastic hood.  If you haven't busted that plastic hood yet, there's a good chance of it happening.

I guess, if you can confirm the hours on the xi as not being near 2900, then I would go for it, then the 520-H.  With spring coming, you can buy all 3 and then sell off what you don't want.  Spring is the best time to selling mowers.

• Like 1

A-Z Tractor

Hello I do wheel horse salvage and in my experience the XI tractors are harder to find parts for and attachments. I would say that either tractor is a good tractor but you have to decide what tractor you like. Also if you buy the entire package deal I am interested in any of the machines that you don't want. I am located in PA and your GT John Deere I would have interest in also I buy and sell used lawn equipment besides doing Wheel Horse salvage. I would say that the price for the package deal would be the way to go. As far as individual prices that depends on condition and what extra attachments would be on the tractor. So keep me posted if you buy it all and want to sell off what you don't want. My email is aztractor255@gmail.com or you can call me at 1-717-821-2542

Forest Road

I believe the timer is in series w oil monitor. Essentially if the key is on the timer is on. My 314 had 250 hours last year. I left the key on and all of a sudden I'm over 300. Do that a few times a year over 10 years and 3000 hours is easy. 

My motion control pedal pedal was very sloppy. Tractor barely moved 1/2 speed forward and reverse was non existent. Removed all sheet metal. Purchased some blue loctite and a few hours later she was a different machine. 

If tractor and  especially attachments are in good condition it's a bargain. It's not as though it's a car w $99 paint job and 20k on the odometer. There's very little to hide on these machines. I wouldn't put too much stock in the hour meter.

bmsgaffer

On the XI machines, the hour meter should be in series with the oil pressure switch. (It should also be this way on the later model Onan powered tractors). This means that the hour meter will only run if the tractor is running and has sufficient oil pressure. 

However, I have a 522xi that the hour meter will spin any time the key is on because the oil pressure switch had failed in the "have pressure" or closed position. 

If I would venture a guess, if you turned the key on without starting the engine there is no oil pressure warning light showing (which there should be). 

• Like 1

FELOPZD

I called the owner to verify the oil light and leave on without running  for a short while.  Is doing that now and will get back.

2889 hours is like running it 96 times a year at 2 hours each time for 15 years.  Not very reasonable.

WVHillbilly520H
43 minutes ago, FELOPZD said:

2889 hours is like running it 96 times a year at 2 hours each time for 15 years.  Not very reasonable.

Unless it was used as commercial unit or school district ect they the hours tend to climb faster being used... But they also tend to be damaged faster...so only the P.O. should know for sure,Jeff.

FELOPZD

Well, the seller ran the test for me...got power to the oil light, let key sit on for 3 hrs (not sure why that long), and it did not move the meter. In the end, after all dialogue, I'm going to keep the gt225 and find a bigger deck.  If you all are interested, search buffalo, ny craigslist for "two wheel horse"  He actually has 5 for sale and many extras and parts as I listed.  He will be in Florida for the next week. I have his number if you have a hard time contacting him.  He really wants everything to just be gone.

After all I've learned from you all, I will be looking for my first wheel horse now...just not from this seller; I don't think any of it would be an upgrade to my setup now.

WNYPCRepair
5 hours ago, FELOPZD said:

Well, the seller ran the test for me...got power to the oil light, let key sit on for 3 hrs (not sure why that long), and it did not move the meter. In the end, after all dialogue, I'm going to keep the gt225 and find a bigger deck.  If you all are interested, search buffalo, ny craigslist for "two wheel horse"  He actually has 5 for sale and many extras and parts as I listed.  He will be in Florida for the next week. I have his number if you have a hard time contacting him.  He really wants everything to just be gone.

After all I've learned from you all, I will be looking for my first wheel horse now...just not from this seller; I don't think any of it would be an upgrade to my setup now.

Sent you a PM

shallowwatersailor
22 hours ago, A-Z Tractor said:

Hello I do wheel horse salvage and in my experience the XI tractors are harder to find parts for and attachments. 

I'm not trying to pick a bone. It is not that the tractors are scarce, but just haven;t reached the stage of needing to be salvaged for the used parts market. I believe that the majority manufactured are still running. As for parts, I have been able to buy the few parts that I needed. And I have found two cabs, two snow/dozer blades, two mower decks, and a snowthrower through Red Square and CL classifieds. Granted they are 5xi tractor-model specific and you cannot mount Classic Wheel Horse attachments. But beyond the mounting points they are the same.

And no, they are not made with plastic pieces. The only plastic pieces are the grille and bumper valance, the dashboard, and fuel tank and cap.

bmsgaffer
25 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

It is not that the tractors are scarce, but just haven;t reached the stage of needing to be salvaged for the used parts market. I believe that the majority manufactured are still running. As for parts, I have been able to buy the few parts that I needed. And I have found two cabs, two snow/dozer blades, two mower decks, and a snowthrower through Red Square and CL classifieds. Granted they are 5xi tractor-model specific and you cannot mount Classic Wheel Horse attachments. But beyond the mounting points they are the same.

:text-yeahthat: I completely agree. Right now XI parts are hard to find used. Many of them are still available new, but most of us don't want to pay those prices, and there just hasn't been enough of them wearing out to go to the salvage yards. 

I have noticed quite a large uptick in the availability of the XI's in the last year, and I feel as though the parts and attachments will follow. 

At this point the XI stuff is out there, you just have to be more patient (or more clever) than for most of the classic series. I love my 525exi. :D

WHX??

I can hear these guys drooling on your possible score from here so shame on them for not

:text-welcomeconfetti:ing you to :rs:ist!  ( I do get their problem tho :rolleyes:)

My take on your problem is

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:06 PM, FELOPZD said:

($3500) for everything above

GO GET it ALL :auto-layrubber:......:lol:   & keep us posted!

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair

I didn't notice. Welcome, Felopzd

FELOPZD

Haha...thanks! I do know that it's a smokin' deal.  I'm constantly looking for those

I wasn't really looking to replace my gt225, but was just doing my typical craigslist daily check-in.  I look for a bunch o' stuff as I'm sure many of you do, and with an open mind, I follow what looks like a winner. 

Truth is, time and space are my issues. I can't even park my car in the garage right now due to a remodel, and I'm not a "leave it outside" kind of guy.  I really wanted the 520xi, but I can't verify the hours.  My GT225 has under 500 hrs, and has most of what the Xi has: hydro pedals, cruise, tight circle, electric pto, and safety features since in have young children.  Plus I already have a 42" blower for it that works great.

Sometimes we have to leave the best deals for someone else. I could easily justify, buy, store, sell what I don't need and basically have a free tractor, true.  But sense and situation has won over my conscience!

Have at it with no ill feelings!!

Like I said, he won't be back for a week, so that gives you all time to plan ;)

WHX??

:hilarious:

7 minutes ago, FELOPZD said:

was just doing my typical craigslist daily check-in

Jeepers cats guy you are gonna fit right in here!