Hacksawhero123

Question for you guys with stacks

Hacksawhero123

I was on the C160 pulling my plow after dark yesterday. Under load at wide open throttle, I had about a 4 inch pretty blue flame burning steady at the tip of the stack. The elbow at the bottom was glowing a dull red color. Perhaps is running a bit lean. Anyone ever get the flame on your stack?

Mark. 

• Like 1

oldredrider

Gotta love it...night time plowing!:auto-layrubber:

• Like 3

WHX??

My pepper pot on a K241 does the same thing Hero...gonna try riching it out a little after a carb cleaning & see what that does.

gt4

Must be nice to be pulling a plow this time of year. Where i live we were fighting this damn ice storm😡

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

i used to have a thin chrome pipe on mine that would glow red and have a nice blue flame on top, never had problems

farmer

I've not seen that from a :wh: ,

years ago we had a fordson super major that would send up showers of sparks when working :lol:.

Does this mean the Saturn V  and space shuttle were running a smidge lean! :ychain:

• Like 1

oldredrider

Hacksaw, your timing might be a bit too advanced. Check the point point setting

Ed Kennell

Sounds like you horse wants to be a egal-dragon_a-g-10360605-9664571.jpg?w=894&h=671

• Like 2

953 nut
5 hours ago, Hacksawhero123 said:

Perhaps is running a bit lean.

I would think the blue flame is from unburned fuel igniting when it gets a bit of air. If you want to check the timing try this method;

Kohler static_timing.pdf

• Like 1

Hacksawhero123

I'm sure that the timing is a bit advanced. I need to pull the shroud to locate and hi light the timing mark. As tall as the stack is, I was surprised to see a flame at the tip. 

Mark. 

IMG_3850.JPG

• Like 6

AMC RULES

:roll:  I'm seeing no blue flame.  :wwp:

:text-worthless:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 5

can whlvr

boy you better keep that stack away from trees,i tore mine off a few years ago and broke the elbow that goes into the block

cschannuth

I don't have flames or glowing on the Predator stack but I have melted the lock nut on the fitting closest to the engine. 

As you can see in the photo it almost looks like Teflon tape on the threads. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Years ago dad used to run a "stack" made from an old vacuum cleaner chrome tube on the CC original Kohler 7hp (no wonder he's deaf now), anyways after working it hard mowing it would blow flames too, we ran it that way for years till it finally dropped a valve, can't say it was the unbaffled straight exhaust but I'm sure it didn't help it, it's now on engine #3 since he bought it back in 1977,Jeff.

• Like 1

WHX??

I can see you are a biker at heart with that stack Hacksaw. ......cored out the innards did ya?!?! @953 nut gotta chime in on this ....he's got the same stack.Great minds do think alike!:lol:

Vacuum tube Billy.....good idea and they were common in the day:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

953 nut
1 hour ago, cschannuth said:

melted the lock nut

Electrical lock nuts come in steel and aluminum, you may need to go to an electrical sippl house to find the steel ones.

22 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

@953 nut gotta chime in on this ....he's got the same stack

I think I shared a picture of mine and contributed to @Hacksawhero123 delinquency!     :ychain:

• Like 3

Hacksawhero123

Mine isn't cored out. I wanted it as quiet as I could get it. The muffler is from a 2015 Road King. Best of all, it was free. I'll try to get a video at night soon. 

Mark. 

• Like 6

AMC RULES

:woohoo:      :popcorn:

tunahead72

Can't wait! :popcorn:

tbarnhart

Actually, the timing could probably be advanced a bit, but its just fine the way it is. The extreme exhaust heat and flame is from the air/fuel mixture not burning completely in the cylinder and continuing to burn out the exhaust. Advancing the timing will help initiate the burn sooner, but will also cause more kick-back on the starter. Another option we often don't think about is to use lower octane gas. High octane gas burns slower, and more of the potential power goes out the exhaust. We really don't need high octane gas in a 7:1 compression engine anyway, although 90 octane is the only ethanol-free available to me.

• Like 2

Tankman

The grandsons "needed" a stack. Trouble was on a 16 hp Briggs Work Horse. Cut a stainless hand rail, riveted two pieces on the Work Horse. Grandsons approved.

WH-Milo.jpgWorkHorse_Red.JPG

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 2

Hacksawhero123

Update. It appears that the reason for the "Smokestack Lightnin" was the timing was waaaay advanced. Also explains the purple ends on my chrome stack. Oops. Anywho, I appreciate greatly the input from you fellas that chimed in. I had made up my mind that the carb was leaned out. You guys kept me from heading off the wrong direction. I regret that I didn't get a smokestack lightnin video for ya. 

Thanks again, Gentlemen. 

Mark. 

• Like 4

tunahead72

Hey, thanks for the update.  I probably would have wasted a lot of time messing with the carb, it's good to get reminded that timing could also be an issue.

I am bummed you didn't get a video posted here, maybe this one will do instead. B)

• Like 1