WVHillbilly520H

523Dxi Injection pump removal/replacement

WVHillbilly520H

I'm finally getting around to pulling the diesel engine out of the Dxi to replace the injection pump, no small task but doable, hopefully all goes well and I be part of the oil burning xi crowd :D, here's as far as I've gotten in the last few weeks, as well as having the injectors rebuilt I have a new replacement pump ready to go in as well as most of the gaskets I had gotten late last summer from Matt @bowextreme , the radiator, fan shroud ,and engine mounts were the hardest part of the disassemble process so far, Jeff.

IMAG2827.jpg

IMAG2828.jpg

IMAG2829.jpg

IMAG2830.jpg

IMAG0001.jpg

IMAG0002.jpg

IMAG0010.jpg

IMAG0012.jpg

IMAG0011~2.jpg

IMAG0009~2.jpg

• Like 8

shallowwatersailor

Thanks for the photos. It definitely is shoehorned in to the chassis. Was it easier to start with the radiator than lifting the engine out first? I know that the one radiator connection is really buried.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

The radiator came out first because I couldn't get to the fan bolts for the shroud and it was pretty much stuck to the radiator ,I took all the side mounting brackets off the dash and frame hold the radiator,Jeff.

bmsgaffer

Jeff, I am really glad to see you are digging into this. I would have loved to have it, but you are much more suited to doing this work right than I would have been!

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Thanks Brandon from the man who just converted over to laptop tuned EFI, and here's a bit more hadn't been touched in 6 months cold (45°) cranking compression nearly 400 psi, now if I can remember where all the bolts go,lol,Jeff.

IMAG2822.jpg

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

Update, I finally got an engine stand plate fabbed up and bolted to the block then up in the stand,  decided to pull the oil pan first just to see how things look in there...first I find sludge then it's got a gray/silver metallic look to it that didn't show up in the drained oil, next I pull a main and rod cap...I'm now kinda hear broken the bearings are shot spun in the caps and scored the crank, my $800 + parts is now turning into more money than I'm willing to invest...:(:wacko::deadhorse:So no Dxi for me but I'm guessing I'll just part it out now, Jeff.

IMAG2918.jpg

IMAG2917.jpg

IMAG2916.jpg

• Like 1

Digger 66
On 2/2/2017 at 3:16 PM, WVHillbilly520H said:

Thanks Brandon from the man who just converted over to laptop tuned EFI,

Very interesting technology .

Are you modifying the existing fuel tables ? 

44 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

IMAG2916.jpg

Holy crow ! 

What contaminated the oil ? ???

WVHillbilly520H
5 minutes ago, Digger 66 said:

Holy crow ! 

What contaminated the oil ? ???

Bought this 523Dxi as a NONRUNNER with 282 hrs because P.O. lost the oil pan drain plug while running then took it to the dealer where upon replacing drain plug and oil wouldn't start back up and run, then a fool (me) and his money soon parted ($800) for an "easy" fix like replacing the injection pump, so oil wasn't contaminated as much as missing..:no::ranting:  ...

Digger 66

On 2/2/2017 at 3:16 PM, WVHillbilly520H said:

How bad are the mains ?

Or are you afraid to look  bighair_zps9sbtsysc.gif 

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, Digger 66 said:

How bad are the mains ?

Or are you afraid to look  bighair_zps9sbtsysc.gif 

I have one of each off in the last picture, the small cap and bearing separated and the bigger one is a main cap,  according to the Briggs repair manual I can only go. 010" under on the journals and if you look closely the rod journal is scored past that as well as the cap as the bearings spun inside them, the main journal is scored as well just not as much...new "complete" engine is $4200 to the door used ones I've found $2500 and "complete" rebuild kits are nearly $1500 plus machining,  sometimes you buy cheap and come out good, other times it just doesn't make financial sense (in my case) to go any farther as I have $800 in the tractor/deck $1400 in a parts package and rebuilt injectors, then another $1500 plus just parts to rebuild, $4k could be a healthy down payment on a sub compact 4x4, Jeff.

• Like 2

tbarnhart

Ouch. I feel your pain. We've all had times where we wish we could back up and do a few things over again. I responded to your message. I may have a few parts, if you would decide to fix it, and I could deliver to VA next month.