cpic1

cpic1

Can anyone tell me if the 417-8 is a good tractor and what is one worth?

thank you

SPINJIM

The 417-8 is an excellent tractor.   I bought one last summer, and it is one of my favorites.   I put a snow blower on it, and look forward to using it if we ever get a decent snow.     The 417 was made in 1985 and 86.    Most of the 86s had an electric lift, which is useful for a plow blade or snowblower.   The 86s had a louvered hood, and the 85s did not.    The Kohler 17 twins were the Series II, with better oil circulation.    It's a good smooth running engine.

The price depends on hours on it, and how well it was maintained.   I paid $600 for mine with 490 hours on it, but had to put a lot of work and paint, and a little money into it to get it running right.   Wiring was a mess, and kill switches missing.   

Go for it if it's in good shape at a reasonable price.

417-8 001.jpg

• Like 6

bmsgaffer

It is worth whatever you are willing to pay for it... ;)

Like Jim said, mechanical shape is everything. Hours? Burn oil? Runs? Paint?

The Kohler 17 (Series 2) twin is a real good engine, I have never owned one, but have always wanted one. All I hear are good things. However, being a twin if it needs any engine work it will be twice as expensive as a single cylinder, but they run smoother and have a more constant torque curve. 

• Like 2

SPINJIM

Hi again,

If the 417 is the one on Craigslist, and has been used for 'pulling', I'd be very careful about checking out the transmission.   Pulling a sled can be hard on a trans.   Run it through all the gears under some stress if possible.    Also, ask why he is selling it.    As Brandon said, check the engine for smoke (with a cold start, not just after warmed).  Price seems a little high, but the 417 is a good tractor.   How many hours?   CL listing doesn't say.  Also, check for any 'play' in the hubs and axles (horizontal and rotational play).

Jim

Edited by SPINJIM
additional info
  • Like 2

cpic1

Thanks Jim I'll keep all that in mind

richmondred01

Kohler 17 (Series 2) is a good engine the series 1 engine had lubrication problems. I have stayed away from the series 1 but  have bought the series II. 

All the best. 

woodchuckfarmer

My son has a C-175 with a series 1 engine , we run it a little over full on oil and have had no problems with it.    Wayne

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Absolutely no issues with my first series here either...

'83 C-175-1

• Like 2

stevebo

I had a 417-8 with over 2000 hours and was still running strong and smooth. I installed a forward swept front end with gear reduction from a 520 and that was one of my favorite tractors to drive period. 

• Like 2

WHX??

Real good checklist Jim @SPINJIM:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

smoreau

I have 2 417A's and they are my go to tractors!  Lots of power with fair fuel usage compared to the Onen. I have a spar rebuilt engine and a parts engine. My V blade tractor has over 2000 hours and runs very strong. Uses oil, but runs way to good to replace. Beware of a non Wheel horse replacement engine when buying. They do not have the thrust bearing for the clutch and it will shorten its life.