formariz

C-145 Automatic bothersome tansmission sound

formariz

I have a neighbor and good friend that years ago I gave a C-81 8 speed with plow for him to clear his quarter mile long driveway. Got tired of watching him trying to muscle a large old snow blower around. He is up there in age,not very healthy and probably 90Lbs wet. The last few times I watched him I now saw him having difficulty with tractor. He needs two hands to lift plow and almost has to get out of tractor to do so and I see him also having difficulty with gear changes.

So with that in mind I found and got a C145 Automatic with hydraulic lift  to give to him .This one should make his life much easier.

Tractor runs and drives well but has been neglected. So I took it all part, cleaned everything, changed filter and fluids. I have not run it yet, but now when I push it around there is a metallic sort of tingling noise coming from inside tranny. It almost sounds like a gear hitting something loose as it turns. Almost like the sound the pawls make on on a rj35. Tractor rolls well with no difficulties. Prior to servicing it I used it for a while and did not hear this noise. Hydro was strong and responsive forward and backwards.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be and why now after the oil change? I also did not try to roll it before! Could it be normal? The other hydro's I have are Sundstrands and very different having a tow valve to release. This one has no valve and can be pushed around by hand.

I am afraid I may have to crack this thing open to check it out since I don't want to even attempt to get it going like this unless I am sure of what is going on.

Tomorrow I will take a video of it to try and capture that sound.

Edited by formariz
  • Like 2

squonk

Both Eaton 1100's I have had clicked when rolling. I believe it's normal.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3

953 nut
6 hours ago, formariz said:

This one should make his life much easier.

:text-bravo:First let me commend you for being so thoughtful and considerate of your neighbor! From the sound of your story I take it you have not driven it following the servicing, is that correct?  :twocents-02cents: If it worked well prior to showing it a little love it should be fine now.

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor

The manual mentions moving the motion control lever to "forward" when rolling these tractors around. My C-145 with the Eaton 1100 makes the same noise, but interestingly my 417A with the same trans doesn't.  Occasionally when pushing my 5xi tractors around (hard to do with their weight - and never up any kind of incline), even in the neutral position, they will click as well. For them when they do this, I move it into the next position and then back to neutral which eliminates the clicking.

The noise is common and shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 2

jay bee

:text-yeahthat: My C-145 with the Eaton 1100 makes that same clicking sound.  I thought that I might have a problem also.  I'm glad to find out that it is common to the transmission.  And thank you for watching out for your neighbor!!!

formariz

Thank you very much everyone. This is a big relief. I was really happy to find this tractor since it is really in great mechanical shape, and exactly what he needs,so the prospect of having transmission issues at the last minute was putting a damper on the happiness here.

This way since it is about ready I can transfer the plow from his other one to it and he can still use it this year if it snows again. Great news!!!

Before I gave him the other one I used to also plow his driveway also to help him out, but I could see that he was feeling like he was a little bit of a burden, so I though this way was better so it leaves him his sense of independence and dignity. When I showed him this one the day I brought it home and told him we were going to swap them because this one was easier to operate, there were a couple of tears running down his face. If it helps him accomplish the task and keep his independence then I had a good day and the tractor found its right place.

• Like 4

953 nut
1 hour ago, formariz said:

tractor found its right place.

Good sentiment, glad you had this little concern so we could hear this story.    :text-bravo:

hermitman

Can't help on tranny, but God bless you for considering an elder neighbor!!

• Like 1

clueless
13 hours ago, formariz said:

Thank you very much everyone. This is a big relief. I was really happy to find this tractor since it is really in great mechanical shape, and exactly what he needs,so the prospect of having transmission issues at the last minute was putting a damper on the happiness here.

This way since it is about ready I can transfer the plow from his other one to it and he can still use it this year if it snows again. Great news!!!

Before I gave him the other one I used to also plow his driveway also to help him out, but I could see that he was feeling like he was a little bit of a burden, so I though this way was better so it leaves him his sense of independence and dignity. When I showed him this one the day I brought it home and told him we were going to swap them because this one was easier to operate, there were a couple of tears running down his face. If it helps him accomplish the task and keep his independence then I had a good day and the tractor found its right place.

Now that's how you make America Great Again!! :handgestures-thumbupright: sir.

• Like 2

Hacksawhero123

There is almost nothing better than knowing that your neighbors are watching out for you. God bless you Formariz. 

Mark. 

c-series don

My 1984 GT-1800 that I bought new has made this noise since day one. I'd say "run it" God bless you for taking care of your neighbor. After being a volunteer firefighter for over 28 years I can say the feeling you get from helping someone in a time of need is something money can't buy. Again thank you for looking out for a fellow American!