Porangi

How to remove this wheel

Porangi

Morning all,

The image below shows the state of my axle that the kind previous owner left it in.   So far all I have done is spray some penetrating spray on to it.

IMG_0235.JPG  

How would you approach the removal of this wheel.

Thanks in anticipation.    

Chris

PS:  B165 spares seem to be rather rare :(

• Like 1

C-121uk

Hi, is this a rear or front wheel because I know front wheels are just a standard size and there is always some for sale on that auction site.

Porangi

Its a rear.    The end is splayed from the last person using a hammer to try and remove it. :(

gwest_ca

I doubt it will ever come off now without destroying something. Why did you want to remove it?

Garry

pfrederi

You might try a carbide bit in a die grinder to remove the mushrooming

gwest_ca

There are two different size square keys used on the B-Series hubs. One for gear transmissions and one for hydro transmissions but can't tell which model uses which key.

One is 3/16" x 3/16" x 2" and may be part number 1120 for the gear transmissions.

The other is 1/4" x 1/4" x 2" and may be part number 2590 replaced by 5-1336 for the hydro models.

If you clean up the outside of the hub you should find the square hole for the key. Clean that out and add penetrating oil on a regular basis. Then just using the tractor may eventually break it loose and do no damage.

Garry

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:   Hope the pounding of the previous owner hasn't damaged the differential.

Is the back side of the hub also rusted badly? If not, I would suggest heating the outside end of the hub and axle and letting them cool; as they cool add some penetrating oil. The heat will break the bond of the rust and help the oil penetrate. After you grind off the splayed end you might have to use a hydraulic press to get it off.

Porangi

Thanks for all the great ideas.  I only really need to change the tyres so it could stay on.   It drives ok so I think the diff is ok.  

Will share with my friend and see what he thinks.

Elkskin's mower junkyard

find a person with a torch and follow this video done by the local mower shop near me

wallfish
28 minutes ago, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

find a person with a torch and follow this video done by the local mower shop near me

Oxy-amphetamine torch :ROTF:

• Like 3

Elkskin's mower junkyard
Just now, wallfish said:

Oxy-amphetamine torch :ROTF:

lol the guy is funny lol

jeff lary

If I really needed to get the wheel off of the axel...

I would start by using a flat file and return the mushroomed end of the shaft to the original size/ diameter. Then I would make a wheel puller using the 2 existing holes in the wheel and some suitable bolts. Take a center punch and make a divot in the center of the shaft. Then take maybe a 1/4 drill and drill a small cone shape into the end and use the wheel puller center pointed bolt in that hole. Add copious amounts of heat should pull off quite easy I would expect. 

Now for a different approach any tire shop can replace the tires right the way they are I am quite sure. This would be much easier but just knowing the wheel is stuck on the shaft would drive me nuts... Ha Ha good luck Jeff

Porangi
21 hours ago, jeff lary said:

If I really needed to get the wheel off of the axel...

I would start by using a flat file and return the mushroomed end of the shaft to the original size/ diameter. Then I would make a wheel puller using the 2 existing holes in the wheel and some suitable bolts. Take a center punch and make a divot in the center of the shaft. Then take maybe a 1/4 drill and drill a small cone shape into the end and use the wheel puller center pointed bolt in that hole. Add copious amounts of heat should pull off quite easy I would expect. 

Now for a different approach any tire shop can replace the tires right the way they are I am quite sure. This would be much easier but just knowing the wheel is stuck on the shaft would drive me nuts... Ha Ha good luck Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I really like the simplicity of your approach and hope you are right.    I also totally agree with your feeling towards replace tyre as is (have ordered long tyre levers) and knowing the wheel is stuck on the shaft is driving me NUTSSSSS.

One question - will leaving it on as is allow it to get worse and reduce my long term chances of getting it off at all?

Thanks

Chris

jeff lary

Chris don't mess with it yourself if you don't want to just take it to a sire shop.

I was looking at a Troy Built tiller years ago it was the real thing and it was the Horse model , the big one. The tiller sat outside un-used for maybe 10-15 years I figured if I could get it for 50 bucks I would buy it. Long story short both tires were flat and wheels sunk into the ground 3 inches. The guy wanted like 5-600 bucks so I thanked him and walked away. Awhile later I was at my sire shop and we were talking about small equipment and wheels stuck on axles. The owner said bring it in we will change the tires with the wheel still on the tiller. I guess he thought I owned it. He said the wheel stuck on the axel is very common and not too big a deal to fix.