Batten down the hatches Ritchie! Nother reason Bob bugged out?:lol:

Lookin good Aldon! :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 1

19richie66

Hope to bug out in about 5 more years.:thumbs: 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Want us to start looking for a spread for ya in Indiana? Hear tell the :wh: run wild there! :)

• Haha 2

Racinbob

Be safe Richie. We're keeping a close eye on it because of the kids down there. It's looking ugly.

• Like 5

Aldon

Only had an hour in the shop. With Predator the charging system is too weak to power the  lights and electrical PTO etc. So for now I'll use a solid steel dash plate that I'm in process of fabricating. That will also allow me to punch holes for more modern switches and gauges should I choose them. As can be seen I have a excellent dash cover if I was want to use one. I still need to do some to it but I got it 90% done today before I had to focus on life stuff.

IMG_1364.JPG.9acc41237e3b477bdceb1287411813a0.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

82Caddy

I’ve enjoyed following your build. You do some excellent work. 

If you wanted to up the charging power, parts from a Honda gx630 will supposedly swap into the predator and get you an 18 amp (maybe it was 15?) charging system. Been awhile since I looked it all up. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Aldon
Just now, 82Caddy said:

I’ve enjoyed following your build. You do some excellent work. 

If you wanted to up the charging power, parts from a Honda gx630 will supposedly swap into the predator and get you an 18 amp (maybe it was 15?) charging system. Been awhile since I looked it all up. 

Thanks!

if you happen across the specifics let me know.

I will likely reach a point this fall where I idle the project for winter and will see if I can dig up the specifics and gather parts for spring.

• Like 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, Aldon said:

Predator the charging system is too weak to power the  lights and electrical PTO

Even  with the Kohler the charging system won't keep up.  :twocents-02cents:   I think a manual PTO clutch and LED lighting would be the way to go.

• Like 1

GT14

I run an electric PTO on my Predator and have had no issue, (have not had occasion to run lights at the same time). To my knowledge the Predator do's not have a side thrust bearing so I avoided the manual PTO.

IMG_1783.JPG

Edited by GT14
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

mmmmmdonuts

Great progress so far Aldon.

If you can somehow get another pulley to put an alternator in there...:D

The SI10 group is great and I used it on my Raider.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/alternator-tractor-delco-10si-with-tach-john-deere-allis-massey.html?adpos=1o1&creative=196860178238&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgabMlMeQ1gIVTlcNCh2x-Q3tEAQYASABEgKTZvD_BwE

• Like 2

82Caddy
12 hours ago, Aldon said:

Thanks!

if you happen across the specifics let me know.

I will likely reach a point this fall where I idle the project for winter and will see if I can dig up the specifics and gather parts for spring.

From what I had noted, it was a different charging coil for 18amp system. Honda part number:

31630-ZJ1-802

I'd double check that since I never got to that point with mine. 

• Like 1

Aldon
57 minutes ago, 82Caddy said:

From what I had noted, it was a different charging coil for 18amp system. Honda part number:

31630-ZJ1-802

I'd double check that since I never got to that point with mine. 

I have seen internet chatter assuming this would work but no definitive confirmation. Although from images they do look like they would work. I may take the plunge and be the guinea pig. Pic of Predator blow up and pic of Honda coil.

59b01fed13c0e_PredatorChargingCoils.JPG.3c303d915b5895de7512b6f6b057c0f1.JPG59b01fedc73ea_HondaChargingCoils.JPG.5fe17a26c5c17287e0b78ec33486bded.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Aldon

Busy week at work and Church.

Did finish the dash plate and got the rims painted. 

These tasks were not necessary at this time but were easy short jobs I could tackle in between life this week.....and rain.

IMG_1368.JPG.32c6bd4c5d0ec49855c488b38492003b.JPGIMG_1371.JPG.94adc25a4dcbd6d1b8485a93299e6225.JPG

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 6

Aldon

Custom brackets for installing brake calipers done. Took most of the day. Started modifying the inner fenders to fit.

IMG_1373.JPG.819fb90739cbb1a57aa92a768849a10d.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 6

fast88pu

Very nice

• Like 2

19richie66

I so look forward to your updates. Very impressive work my friend. One day when it cools off here and dries out, I hope to get rolling on mine.  Keep it coming my friend 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FatJackDurham
On 9/9/2017 at 6:10 PM, Aldon said:

Custom brackets for installing brake calipers done. Took most of the day. Started modifying the inner fenders to fit.

DId you come up with the brake design yourself or are you adapting an existing kit?

Aldon

There is no kit for the GT14. This was never an option for the GT14. To my knowledge only a few of the d series could have them. 

As such I bought a set of calipers for a cub cadet and modified them to work on the GT14.

Another fella on the forum rebuilding the 18 Automatic helped me with diameter of the discs. I ordered 8" stainless blank discs from EBay and punched the center out, then drilled mounting holes to line up with the D series Hubs which are drilled and tapped for the D series turning brake discs.

i have them located such that I'll likely run a cable to a set of levers to actuate the calipers. And it will be from the top. This is a work in progress with many trial attempts then realize something not taken into account drives  re-do.

I am about 90% confident this set up will work now. Once I modify inner fenders.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

Aldon

The reason the updates to this project have been nil lately is I plan to bring it to @stevebo meet and greet this Saturday.

I'll update afterwards and then it will be dormant until Spring most likely. 

To be continued....lol

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

stevebo

Looking forward to seeing this bad boy !!

• Like 2

19richie66

Me too...... but I have to wait till June:popcorn:

• Like 2

ztnoo
54 minutes ago, Aldon said:

I'll update afterwards and then it will be dormant until Spring most likely. 

To be continued....lol

Dr. Trimble, seriously, if you live in upstate NY, you need to learn about how to dress for winter, and how to install a heat source to your garage/workplace.

Start by researching Carhartt work wear and polypropylene long underwear.

Oh........ and ceiling hung propane or natural gas heaters, too.

It won't change once you have to move west......it's still cold there in the winter.......maybe a dryer, less humid cold, but still cold......and at altitude also.

I can't quite conceive of your potential work output in a year's time with "perfect climatic conditions"

A pretty scary thought for the rest of us older farts......

Regards,

Steve

p.s. We'll expect pics of your project from Saturday's meet..........bowing.gif.f8f4485fb6ef7cb7df7b7799e1f58598.gif

59dd5d7ad5c2e_2pop.gif.0df013e5fe6afe601be267bbd75aa531.gif59dd5d7ad5c2e_2pop.gif.0df013e5fe6afe601be267bbd75aa531.gif59dd5d7ad5c2e_2pop.gif.0df013e5fe6afe601be267bbd75aa531.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ztnoo

;-)

WHX??

Take your leisure Aldon and enjoy Stevebos.....:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1