WVHillbilly520H

What i found on a walk about today...

JAinVA

Jeff,

Neat looking old machines.It looks like the Simplicity has a cast aluminum deck.The Wheel Horse looks like the one on Va Craigs list.Is that right?If it is he will have it a while for the price.Luck,JAinVA

• Like 2

Sparky

I absolutely love that Little Giant rider!

Thanks for sharing.

Mike....

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

I would love to just walk around his place and look at everything. Thanks for the pictures.

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:    thanks for taking us along for the walk.   :thanks:

• Like 1

tunahead72

I pass through Staunton several times a year on my way to Bath County, can you share this guy's location?

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

All you guys are welcome, now @JAinVA the Simplicity may be magnesium since that was a go to material of the 60s didnt ask and yes he has bits and pieces listed on CL, @Sparky I wouldn't mind owning that lil giant and preserving it as is, @elcamino/wheelhorse it's only a couple hours drive from Richmond, @tunahead72 it's actually the little town of Bridgewater next to Harrisonburg where I work right off I-81, Jeff.

• Like 3

T-Mo

The Little Giant, the Moto Mower, Simplicity are all cool, as is the Bolens.  And that is a nice looking Wheel Horse.  Of them all, next to the Wheel Horse, that Little Giant would be cool to have.

• Like 3

case442

I think that little giant might have been mine. Would his name be Ben that owns them/

Mike

WVHillbilly520H

@case442, well indeed it's a small world after all and yes Ben is his name, how cool to see/know that little tractor after letting it go out of state huh?,Jeff.

• Like 2

case442

Yep, sure is a small world. I looked at the pictures and sure enough, thats my old tractor.

• Mike
  • Like 2

Steve B.

I'm digging that Simplicity mower.  I'd love to find something like that around here.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

I reckon that's a bit far for you but a least you have seen a picture and know what to look out for.

• Like 1

Aldon

My sister lives in Staunton VA. Works in Harrisonburg VA. 

May have to do a trip back home one of these days and meet up with all the Virginia fellas!

My brother lives towards FarmVille these days.

That Little Giant is my favorite as well.

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

@Aldon Born and raised in Franklin WV, been working in Harrisonburg since 1990 (same company since '97) then moved to Staunton a little over 4 years ago with my latest bride (born and raised in Staunton), again small world these old tractors make, Jeff.

• Like 2

Buzz

I had a NOS snow plow for that Simplicity Wonder Boy and it claimed that it could push up to 2" of snow. Yeah, so can my broom. Neat little play toy though.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

A couple more oldies same place, Jeff.

IMAG3068.jpg

IMAG3069.jpg

IMAG3070.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

12 hp Kohler

That old Pennsylvania mower looks great, very a like to a Pennsylvania panzer, same color to.

• Like 2

WHX??

Interesting how in some of your first pics Jeffery the rounded fenders that look very similar if not exact of our early/mid 60's horses. Can't help but think that WH made them for other brands.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Me thinks the older Sears for sure was either a copy cat :wh:, or WH made 'em for them, IDK but but makes us young uns wonder.

slim67
3 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Me thinks the older Sears for sure was either a copy cat :wh:, or WH made 'em for them, IDK but but makes us young uns wonder.

The first Sears were made by David Bradley then later by Roper. 

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

So DB was the copy cat? I know the Roper/AYP Craftsmans was a bigger L&G tractor with horizontal Kohler twins as my FIL has 2 (running but broken steering) sitting in the barn, Jeff.

slim67
20 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

So DB was the copy cat? I know the Roper/AYP Craftsmans was a bigger L&G tractor with horizontal Kohler twins as my FIL has 2 (running but broken steering) sitting in the barn, Jeff.

Sears had DB make their first tractors in the early sixties. About 1966, Roper became the new supplier of the garden tractors. There were lawn tractors a little later in the seventies along side the Roper made tractors but I am not sure if they were Roper or not.

• Like 1

EricF
2 hours ago, slim67 said:

There were lawn tractors a little later in the seventies along side the Roper made tractors but I am not sure if they were Roper or not.

Yes, I remember those. You could always tell them apart by how the mower PTO lever was mounted to the deck, not the tractor. Where I grew up, my next-door neighbor had one of those non-Roper Sears lawn tractors. It was made by Murray, I believe. Got it around 1977 or so, I think, and pushed snow in the winter with a small blade and little weights and chains on the back. Amazingly, the little thing was still going when I moved away in the late 80's.

slim67
40 minutes ago, EricF said:

Yes, I remember those. You could always tell them apart by how the mower PTO lever was mounted to the deck, not the tractor. Where I grew up, my next-door neighbor had one of those non-Roper Sears lawn tractors. It was made by Murray, I believe. Got it around 1977 or so, I think, and pushed snow in the winter with a small blade and little weights and chains on the back. Amazingly, the little thing was still going when I moved away in the late 80's.

Murray sounds right as the builder. I had an LT10/36 but still liked it better than todays offerings