briankd

front tires

briankd

need to get new tires for front of my c-120 it currently has original turfs on it and they are shot. I can't make up my mind what tire to put on it .  any suggestions and past experiences anyone had on here? it currently has firestone ags on the rear was looking at vredestein  5  rib tires then the super turf and the regular rib tires (they are the smoother rib ones) tri ribs don't think I really  care for. going to use this tractor plowing dirt some snowblowing (if we ever get snow) and some mowing 

it has 16-6.50- 8 on it could  a wider tire fit these rims? 7.50 or a 8.50?   

Thanks Brian 

mmmmmdonuts

I got a pair of xtrac tires on the front of my Raider. I use my Raider for mowing and snowblowing and they seem to be a fantastic all around tire and have improved my steering quite a bit. I got the 4.8-8 on the Raider.

http://www.carlisletirestore.com/store/xtrac.html

rps20161215_202426.jpgrps20170101_191046.jpg

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

I like my newer style turfs on the front of my 520(16x7.50-8) they have wider rims, and dad's 1450 CC also on FIL's 782(16x6.50-8) which seem to ride/steer better than the smooth ribs that was on the Cubs, (last pic should show the size difference) ,Jeff.

IMAG2334.jpg

IMAG2653.jpg

IMAG2583.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Tankman

Use 16 x 7.50 x 8's on my '90 520-8. Turfs from Miller Tire. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Sarge

I just put a pair of the BKT lug tires on the front of the D-180 , also run them on the old 1277 - they work quite well in all conditions and really don't hurt the turf .

D180 with new front end.jpg

Sarge

• Like 2

tbarnhart

Check the width of the rims on that 160. The early ones came with a narrow rim. Although they had 16x6.50x8 tires from the factory, they were pulled in on the narrow rims and bulged a bit in the middle. I wouldn't go any wider with those wheels. The later ones had wider wheels. I know my '74 model has the narrow ones and I went with the 4.00x8 deestone tri-ribs. They fit well and I think they go well with the whole look of the tractor. I've been happy with them. If you have the wider wheels, I'd jump on those Vred v61s.  They just look right for a tractor.

• Like 1

briankd
28 minutes ago, tbarnhart said:

Check the width of the rims on that 160. The early ones came with a narrow rim. Although they had 16x6.50x8 tires from the factory, they were pulled in on the narrow rims and bulged a bit in the middle. I wouldn't go any wider with those wheels. The later ones had wider wheels. I know my '74 model has the narrow ones and I went with the 4.00x8 deestone tri-ribs. They fit well and I think they go well with the whole look of the tractor. I've been happy with them. If you have the wider wheels, I'd jump on those Vred v61s.  They just look right for a tractor.

that's what I think the v61 won't look right on narrower rims don't like the look of the firestone tri ribs they have one huge rib in middle of tire and the deestone tires herd a lot on here how they are weird sizes compared to oem tires.

tbarnhart

The deestone 4.00x8 tri-ribs are really a great tire for the narrow front wheels. The "smallness" of the Deestone tires seems to be in the ag tires. My tractor has the 4.00x8 tri-ribs in the front and 23x10.5x12 Deestone ags in the back. The rears are really about a true 9.50 and work well on the 7 in. rims as a replacement for the 8.50 original tires.

IMG_1398b.JPG

• Like 7

sorekiwi

Another vote for the 4.00 x 8 tri-ribs.

IMG_3966_zpsaab49dcd.jpg

• Like 3

briankd
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 7:24 AM, sorekiwi said:

Another vote for the 4.00 x 8 tri-ribs.

IMG_3966_zpsaab49dcd.jpg

well I have to say them there look a lot better than the firestone tri ribs and seen they only 25 bucks apiece plus shipping I found them online

WVHillbilly520H

Got me 4 new front tires (16x7.50-8) Trac Gards for my other 2 520s today, when they ship them they show up like triangles, they steer and ride so much better than the original Dico's IMHO just like the 6.50s I put on the Cubs,Jeff.

1483664057091.jpg

1483664095399.jpg

• Like 1

briankd

any one ever bought tires from greater Cleveland tire ? I know miller tire here in Ohio, but Cleveland tire has some good deals. don't know how they are to deal with

sorekiwi

I've bought tires from them (thru Ebay). and they were fine to deal with.

• Like 1

123GO

Just wondering if anyone knows how well the tri-rib design grips in the mud vs the OEM or car/trailer tread does?

I have the basic street trailer tread pattern 4.00x8 and it slides quite a bit on wet grass and in the muddy sections so its tearing my yard up a bit. They look great so I'm just curious how well they perform? Thanks

JohnnyD
On 1/2/2017 at 9:24 PM, tbarnhart said:

I have a 68 raider 9 with 16x5.50-8s will the 4x8 work?

RandyLittrell
8 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

I have a 68 raider 9 with 16x5.50-8s will the 4x8 work?

Yes they will! You will like them too. 

Randy

JohnnyD
28 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

Yes they will! You will like them too. 

Randy

The tractor won't lean to the front? Smaller tire?

123GO

I like the narrow design for the ease of steering it gives my tractors. Much easier to turn than the wide front tires they came with.

I have them on my B100 & 414-8. Love mine even though they are not the tri-rib tread pattern I would prefer! 

123GO

Sorry JohnnyD I didn't see your post. They are both approx 16" outside diameter tires depending on tread pattern, they may be a ticks turd height difference but nothing really noticeable..

Edited by 123GO

Lee1977

I have the 400 x 8  Deestone from Greater Cleveland Tire on my 312-8. On narrow rims they measure 16.5" in height.

SAM-0863.jpg

The Tuul Crib

I had these try ribs on the front of my 1067. I live on a hillside they seem to grip better. And he's are on 4.00 x8 rims

with tubes

2D944CB5-53A3-4368-810F-28C80BE349B1.jpeg

123GO

Ya those Tri's are nice looking and I sure like the looks so I wondered about grip as my property is hilly.

My 4x8 street treads slide on turns in damp conditions so I gott'a slow'r down sometimes. 

Beautiful WH tractors only make those Tri-ribs look even better. Very Nice, Thanks Again!

Edited by 123GO

JohnnyD

Thanks so much guys should have them delivered to my house by Thursday and once I get em on soon I'll post some pics.

Edited by JohnnyD

elcamino/wheelhorse

I know this is a little late , I needed to replace the front tires on my 1974 c-120 , I figured the old tires( look original to the tractor ) would be 16x7.5x 8  . Turns out they were 16x6.5x8  

123GO

Been meaning to post pics with mine on my 414-8 for a yr because this post really helped me out. Triple bypass in Jan got in the way of posting my Triple Rib tias....lol

These are Deestone 4:00-8 on 4" rims? May be 3.5" rims but old WH rims made for 4:00 tire with tapered bearings if that helps any. Done forgot actual rim width sorry all. 4" is my bet, Lordy Lordy I think I'm an old fart folks.

Well no more sliding around slowing my old arse down, Im safer cruising on high now..lol. Well high sometimes, I really sped her up substantially..so hit high you hang on tight, yeehaw!

Grip is just fantastic on my hills with tri-ribs, I highly recommend them. Best part its just like having power steering man!

If you suffer from upper extremity issues like myself, this is your answer! They don't call them "Easy Steer" for nothing that's a fact.

20220722_132615.jpg

20220722_131356.jpg

20220722_131146.jpg

20220722_131241.jpg

• Like 3