stratostar250

1973 John Deere 140 H3

stratostar250

Well, the other day, I did the unspeakable.  :hide:  I'm quite fond of wheel horses, and by far, are my favorite, but I always keep an eye out to learn more about all tractors, and I found one quite interesting and kept my eyes open for one if it had ever shown up.  So I recently had found one, and called.  I got no ring, straight to voicemail, but left a message, called the next day, had a ring, but no answer, about two weeks later, He called me back and said he was out of the country for the holiday and he had just gotten home.  So I figured I'd still go take a swing at it.  Drove to PA with my dad, and seemed pretty solid!  Needs some TLC, but seems like a very solid tractor.  Hood has a really good crack, because it is fiberglass, but came with a rear pto, rear lift bar, 48" mower deck and a tiller.  The tiller needs a new chain in the internal case, which is going to be a pain, but the tractor seems very solid and runs strong.  I'm hoping I can find a cheap hydraulic 4 way plow for it, but they're far and few, and not cheap. haha, I'll just keep my eyes peeled.  

AND FOR THOSE WHO ARE WORRIED, don't worry, I'm not going green.  :P I still bleed red. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 5

T-Mo

Tom,

Nice find.  As mentioned in your post in the "What's in your Mirror" thread, go to www.wfmachines.com for more info on the JD 140s.  They're great machines and really were ground breaking with the triple hydraulics and the fact you could operate the front and rear spools separately.  A really nice tractor.

The 140 was designed to compete against the Cub Lo-boy, but Deere didn't want them to be as big or take up as much storage space.  You can get a sleeve hitch (Deere calls them integral hitches) or a 3 point hitch for the 140s.  Both were available.

• Like 2

briankd
6 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

You can get a sleeve hitch (Deere calls them integral hitches) or a 3 point hitch for the 140s.  Both were available.

been looking for an intregral hitch for my 110 they are scarce did find some but they want a mint for them not cheap at all

T-Mo

Do you have a square fender 110 or a round fender one?  The square fender hitches are easier to find as one from a 200 series, or one from a 140 or a closed frame 300 series are the same, just with a different lift mechanism on the latter.

briankd
4 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

Do you have a square fender 110 or a round fender one?  

I have a square fender

mine 075.JPG

T-Mo

The integral hitches for the square fenders are easier to find, but as you mentioned, they're not cheap.  Look around on ebay and on www.wfmachines.com for one as they do show up from time to time.  You will need the rear lift mechanism and the correct lift rod(s).

briankd

yep last one I found online out in Illinois was around 300 - 400 bucks I think and it was a rusted heap. will keep an eye out at some of the shows this year and see what I find. and yes need the correct lift rods and yes im a member over on wfmachines  and they had a drawing on there to make one from scratch

Ken B

Real nice machine Tom. I had one many yrs. ago and I loved it!

• Like 2

RMCIII

There is a 3 point hitch available on John Deere FB Forum. They are asking $300.00. Very cheap for a 3 point hitch for an H3! 

T-Mo
11 hours ago, RMCIII said:

There is a 3 point hitch available on John Deere FB Forum. They are asking $300.00. Very cheap for a 3 point hitch for an H3! 

Be sure it's a 3 point for a close frame tractor, and not an open frame one.  The 3 point for the close frame tractors were a lot different than the open frame ones and an open frame 3 point will not fit a 140.

• Like 1