clemet

New gem

clemet

When I was back home for Christmas I found this little gem sitting in the back of my grandfathers workshop collecting dust.  I managed to get it away from my grandmother before it disappeared.  Now I just have to figure out exactly what I have.  Near as I can tell its a mid 60s with the wrong gas tank.  I did manage to clean off the plate on the motor enough to see the numbers and as near as I can tell the motor is a 65 8hp kohler.  Any assistance would be appreciated so that I can get into the manuals and start rounding up parts in order to restore it.  The good news is the engine spins free.

20161231_110412.jpg

20161231_110449.jpg

20161231_110457.jpg

20161231_110503.jpg

20161231_110528.jpg

• Like 9

ACman

:text-coolphotos: and congrats on your scoring gramps tractor :handgestures-thumbupright: !

Can you get a pic of th serial # on the tank stand . With that streering setup on the front axle it's a 1963 or 64 model . I'm sure some more experts will chime in soon .

• Like 1

clemet
1 hour ago, ACman said:

:text-coolphotos: and congrats on your scoring gramps tractor :handgestures-thumbupright: !

Can you get a pic of th serial # on the tank stand . With that streering setup on the front axle it's a 1963 or 64 model . I'm sure some more experts will chime in soon .

Looks like it is 44863 once i got the dirt off the shifter label

• Like 1

elliot ness

Great score !:text-bravo:

gwest_ca

Looks like 44863 is a 1964 serial number so

Garry

• Like 1

clemet
4 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Looks like 44863 is a 1964 serial number so

Garry

Got ya.  So looking at that and the engine it must be an 854 then.  Thanks for the help ya'll.

clemet

So I am going through and getting my parts together to get started on the restoration as well as starting to fix the holes that were cut in various pieces of sheet metal.  I have a gas tank in the mail thanks to A-Z Tractor so I will be able to start fitting the hood back up, but I would like a picture of how the hood is supposed to mount in the front.  From what I can tell by the manual it is a bolt/thumb screw it had been swapped for a hinge on mine and there for the whole bottom edge was cracked out.  Any help with a pic would be great so I can replicate the piece if needed.

AMC RULES

Thinking...

this is what you're asking?

IMG_6438.JPGIMG_6439.JPGIMG_6440.JPGIMG_6444.JPG

bmsgaffer

Craig posed the bracket dimensions, but also note that it will be 1" farther towards the back of the tractor than his since the 854's had a 1" longer hood. The bracket doesnt fall in the center but more at the rear of the front of the hood... here picture works better.

2015-11-12 20.41.59.jpg2015-11-12 20.42.33.jpg

• Like 1

clemet

Thanks.  Those both work.  I have most of the bracket there.  Looks like all they did is cut off the bottom half of the hole.  All I have to do is add a nut, and then get a thumb screw for it.  The pics show what I have left, and how much welding I had to do to fix the cracks.

20170102_145104.jpg

20170102_150634.jpg

Edited by clemet
  • Like 1

Retired Wrencher

clemet looks like you are well on your way bringing back your family tractor back the way your Grandfather had it. Good project for you.

gt4

Thats great cleat! There's always something special about bringing a grandfather,father,uncle,etc. Back to life again 👍