tommyg

Rubber wipers for snowblower

tommyg

Several times I've seen posts about adding rubber "wipers" to the snowblower auger for better throw and to minimize clogging. Can someone enlighten me here? I think I know what you're referring to, but how would I know what to get, how big, how many, etc. Will this enable me to clean right down to the concrete? I'm using the blower for a D180.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

These "wipers" close the gap on the single stage blowers.   I use pieces cut from an old rubber bed liner.  Some use flat belting.

The are put on both edges of the auger and they are custom cut to fit the clearance on your blower.  I back mine up with 1/16" steel.

IMG_4143.JPG

• Like 9

tommyg

Ahhh. I see what you're talking about now. Not was I was thinking after all. Thanks for the pic. So there's nothing special to buy, I'm guessing? Just a piece of maybe 1/4" rubber sandwiched under some sheet metal?

• Like 2

roadapples

I used a piece of sidewall from a front wheel horse tire. Cuts easily with a band saw, but there is a heavy wire were the bead seals. Ask me how I know...:bitch:

• Like 3

varosd

skrusins

I used the rubber from used paddle snow blowers. Your service centers trow them away.

tommyg

I have a piece of rubber flooring from the fitness center of the YMCA where I work. It's designed to endure heavy workout equipment and free weights dropping on it. Think I'm going to give that a try.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

While we are on this subject, it can be done with the 2 stage also. I have seen pictures of it. I am considering that for next year, or maybe this year, job number 112 on job list ,,:lol:.  Any of you guys have a picture of that modification handy?

Glenn

• Like 1

Kurt-NEPA
55 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

While we are on this subject, it can be done with the 2 stage also. I have seen pictures of it. I am considering that for next year, or maybe this year, job number 112 on job list ,,:lol:.  Any of you guys have a picture of that modification handy?

Glenn

Glenn, I started out to do that on my two-stage.  I got the rubber and made some steel plate to hold it in place.  With a little care I was able to get the plate to housing clearance down to 1/16".  I called that good enough and never put the rubber in.

DSCN1002_zpsjjgqlrtf.jpg

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Jayzauto
      By Jayzauto
      Toro - WheelHorse SnowBlower fits “XT” Models.  Model 79483 Serial 240000164. In great shape, has high chute, wide kit installed and has belt.  Skids show little to no wear, so I’m guessing not used much.  SnowBlower only.  No mule drive or lifting hardware.  
      $250/BRO

• Brandon Byers
      By Brandon Byers
      I know I'm half a year ahead of schedule! 

I picked this 1974 D-180 up early last year. It had a pretty hard life, and the previous owner gave his best attempt at keeping it alive. Hydro was strong so I serviced it and put it to work mowing all year. I decided if it would make it through the season then it would get some TLC. By fall it was burning about a quart of oil an hour but it made it. I have no clue how many hours are on it, every hole, bushing, bearing on this tractor is pooched. If you look closely, somebody used two 1" NPT Pipe Flanges to rebuild the mounting points for the upper 3 point cylinder. Hey it works!
      I rebuilt the steering gearbox and re-bushed the front axle along with making new spindles. 
      I had the 482 Kohler bored .20 over (it was .10 over already) and gave it a rebuild with the intention of putting it back to work on snow duty. 
      I then dawned on me that this tractor will be 50 years old next year - and these old D's are becoming harder and harder to find anymore. So I decided to customize it a bit and go for what a maybe a dealership would offer for a 50th anniversary model if Wheel Horse was still in business today (In another universe, maybe!) 

As D's aren't known for their looks - and I can't leave anything alone. I took approximately 2 Inches out of the grille and bezel. 
      I updated most of the wiring and lights. Gave it a new set of Carlisle Ags along with Vredestein front ribs. It got a new seat and I painted all the accents aluminum. 
      I patched, rebuilt the 48" deck and put new blades, wheels, and hardware on it. The Blade & 3 point scoop somebody adapted to it also got some attention.  
      Lastly I stripped it most of the way down and painted it with IH red acrylic urethane enamel. 
      I always forget to take pictures during my projects but here's a few: 

Before: 

After: 

Thanks for reading!!
    • mmmmmdonuts
      By mmmmmdonuts
      Tall Chute single stage snowblower. Has worm drive chute control. Has lift rod as well. Chute is currently detected for storage. 

• jebeli
      By jebeli
      Lets make a deal. The whole collection for $3000 or one tractor and half the items listed below for $1500. 
      I am moving to town so am willing to do a partial trade for a wheelhorse more approproiate for a suburban lot- lawn ranger, surburban models, bcs walking tractor, other?
      I could possibly deliver or meet half-way or ship.

Both tractors run great and are in good working order. Second owner of both machines. I work with these machines everyday so they are not perfect but are, in my opinion, in excellent shape.
      42in high-shoot snow blower
      42 in rear discharge deck
      Snow blade
      Front mount deck hanger with 42in side discharge deck
      30in lawn seeder
      Brinly single bottom plow with cleavis or sleeve hitch
      50in grader blade
      Extra transmission
      36in rear tiller - leaks a little
      Full set of tire chains for each tractor
      Various body pieces
      7.5 cubic ft pull behind cart - may need tires
      Extra set of rims
      All required belts, pullys, brackets, manuals, too much to list. 

• 83mercedes
      By 83mercedes
      i am going to be getting a 518h with a snow blower as i am new to having a snow blower one thing i noticed was that the chains have a fair amount of play how much is to much ,and would like  a service manual or a manual that would give me these facts,thanks