Rustyred

Paint. What is authentic.?

Rustyred

Hi everyone. I want to use paint for my tractor which is the authentic color. Does anyone have input on what would be the right paint to use.? I would like to at least know what is the right color so that I can match it. Also, I have the ability to use powder coat paint. Would that be recommended or is there another paint that is better?

Thank you for your input as time goes on,

Rustyred

AMC RULES

• Like 2

Rustyred

Thanks for the link AMC RULES.

I have a guy locally who does a great job of powder coating - his selection is not endless though. Does anyone think that any of the reds or ivory paint is accurate? http://www.ralcolor.com/

Mike'sHorseBarn

I have used RAL 9001 before quite a few times and I love it. The Red's I'm not too thrilled about. RAL 3020 is the closest i have found but i prefer paint.

Mike

JackC

I am using XO Rust IH Red primer and paint in one from ACE Hardware from a rattle can for sanding and repainting my 1998 vintage, which would  be "new red", snow blower shoot. It looks good to me. But then again, anything would look better than the rust that had built up. The painted and unpainted portions match well. I am also red greed color blind so maybe that helps. The new is slightly darker and has a nicer gloss compared to the older and duller original 1998 finish.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• giddyap
      By giddyap
      I hope to make "It's my thing" my archival record. My first, It's my thing, "I do what I wanna do" is about my wheel standing Wheel Horse, this is about my C-81. Stock machines are just NOT my thing, I have to modify them to my pleasing, to be the apple of my eye, eye candy, or beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In other words, please take no offense in what I choose to do to my property. When I submit more "It's my thing" you know what to expect. 
      First photo is when it came home in stock condition. 2nd photo I removed the wrap around gas tank and added the underseat box and flip seat pan. 3rd photo atv 25x10-12 tires and raised seat pan. 4th is working mode. 5th added a 3/8 thick rubber scrapper between blade and cutting edge. Photos 6&7 light bar and back rest, a rear hanger to carry 60 pounds and the front of the hood is chopped 2 inches for a much improved profile. Somewhere between photos I sold the complete engine, PTO and wiring, removed PTO lever and dropped in a Predator 

• Redneckdavis
      By Redneckdavis
      This is going to be a slow project probably but I figured I'd start a build thread. I bought a pulling horse and it came with this c-81 for extra parts. Also a kid's puller for my little girl. 
           Homely looking thing missing front tires, and engine. Steering was rusted seized along with pedals and linkages. Extra hood(I don't know what it fits) and back fenders came from the grass next to where it had began to rot into guys yard. Who knows what else its missing but rear end oil is clean and it rolls.
         This is the wife's tractor. She originally wanted any tractor I could modify and turn into a mini Ford 8N. She has since fell in love with the horse and wants it built as is. 

• Pullstart
      By Pullstart
      I picked this C-81 up a while back when I grabbed the C-145 for Jim.  It was apparently a runner, but had been sitting a while and his mechanic told him it smokes and needs overhauling.  The fuel smells worse than varnish.  I shot a bit of starting fluid in after cleaning the points and away we go!  It drives great in all gears, high and low.  It sure smokes, but I’d like to see what some sea foam and fresh fuel will do for the old girl!  I notice the fuel line is cracked, so I’ll plan a fresh fuel system before anything else.

• mhlmeader
      By mhlmeader
      Hi folks, I been on a quest lately to find a wheelhorse or two that I would actually use for mowing/work, instead of just putting around on.  I mow about 1.5 acres and have been using a husqvarna with 36 inch deck.  This past week I picked up two horses that I think will finally fit the bill.  Last week I got the 312-8.  And the other day,  I found this c-81.   It was owned for the last 25 years by the same family, hes a retired mechanic and took great care of it.  When I arrived to pick it up, he was actually greasing the deck for me:).  New paint,  tires, battery, belts.  He didn't refinish the deck, but maintained it very well.  I only had one picture to go on, when i agreed to buy it, but was VERY impressed when I saw it in person.  Runs like a kitten too!!!

• Ritter
      By Ritter
      Greetings All,
      Really nice site, and I am a new member.   As I kick back and eat my lunch,  I could not have imagined that Wheel Horse Tractor owners would have such a cool and well-organized place to ‘meet’ despite being out of production for so long.  My name is Ron and I have a 1979 C-81.   It has a WH pull-behind cart as well as a snow plow with chains, weights, etc..
      The tractor belonged to my grandfather, who purchased it new in 1979 for just over $1,100.00.  Some of my best memories are learning to drive it (barely reaching the pedals) and trying to understand the difference between the clutch and brake.   I believe at one point it had a lawn sweeper, which eventually just dragged and made skid marks across the lawn until it was retired.
      My grandfather drove this tractor year-round for 7 years until he passed away.  In the winter it was plowing and hauling logs to the house, in the spring it aerated,  fall it mulched, summer it mowed.   The C-81 always remained at his house and in my family.

The most interesting part (or at least interesting to me) is that for the last 39 years, this mower has been in-service without missing one season.  It has never been out of commission.   To this day, we have it picked up for service every year and it is still running on its original 8hp Kohler Engine and cuts just over an acre of lawn.  The only major replacements were pulley bearings for the blade deck and a starter motor.   It is ultra-quiet and never strains while performing its tasks. So, when you look at the picture,  you probably see a beat up old machine, but I can assure you that is a tried-and-true Wheel Horse used year-round for nearly 4 decades and maintained as best we thought possible.  It’s a testament to a reliable and powerful brand. 

That said,  I have decided to lessen the workload on this machine and perhaps get another Wheel Horse as a tribute to my Pop.    The main issue is that the cutting deck on this machine is between 32-34” (I believe) and it takes a long time to cut the lawn.  (although I enjoy the peaceful feeling of doing it, it’s not conducive with my day job).   The secondary issue is that this is a rear-discharge deck.  I’d like to somehow bag the clippings for most of my cuts in order to feed my mulch/compost pile.   I’m open for suggestions as to what model would be best.   I do have some hills (a few steep).  

One final note…
      I’d love to crown this C-81 with a new (or comparable) seat.   My goal is to get one as close to original as possible, with the same bolt patterns.  I can provide photos if needed.  Any help would be appreciated.   Again, glad to be a part of this community, and please bear with me as I get used to navigating this site.   
      Thanks for reading.