Dball

520 battery draining

Dball

Me and my son was plowing snow yesterday an about 2 hours mabe less or more but i noticed my head lights going dim then it started to run like crap becouse i have an electric fuel pump. I shut tractor  down let it cool the tryed to start it again in which it just clicked didnt have the juice to turn motor  over so hooked jumpers fired right up what would the likely culprit  be the stator or the  rectifier.thanks for any and all help guys 

Ed Kennell

The most likely culprits are bad/loose connections and grounds.   Print the wiring diagram for your tractor, then clean and reconnect all the terminals in the charging circuit. Don't forget to clean the grounds, especially the rectifier.  If that doesn't fix the problem, then I would check the AC from the stator and the DC from the rectifier.

• Like 1

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:What Ed suggested and then a quick check of the regulator. What does the voltmeter on the tractor read?

WH nut

Make sure you have 12v on the center terminal of the regulator

Dball

Meter on the tractor read 12 volts when i started it but never thought to look when my lights went dim and started to run crappy charged the battery lights r bright again and purrs like a kitten but have yet to run it like i was when this happened.i did order a cheap rectifier off amazon hoping that solves the issue i have replaced the molex  plug as the old 1 was bad everything was tripple checked and my freind that does electrical checked it and om'd it out all was good hoping its somthing simple 

Dball

Well i installed  my new amazon rectifier and its the volt meter is still readind 12 volts when i turn lights on it reads around 11.8 or so even when i throttle up i cleaned the the wires leading into the rectifier also the ground wire up by the dip stick tube the battery hasnt went dead yet but my gut is telling me theirs still an issue with my charging system that i would really love to solve b4 next snow fall 

WHX??

Ok let's go to plan B... did you ohm the stator  out to see if it's open or grounded. Can't tell you exactly how to do that or what you should be getting for readings as none of my files are on this stupid tablet but others will  chime in. Procedure should be in the Onan manual if you have one. I got the same reg. off Amazon and it cured my overcharging problem. Issue has to be in the stator or the cursed connector.

Dball

I hope its not in the stator but i didnt ohm it out and i dont have a onan manual yet just hoping its somthing small nothing big and expensive but im sure that will be my x mass gift this year lol 

• Like 1

WHX??

Lots of Onan stuff in the files section Dball....download away . .might be something small yet...fingers crossed

Ed Kennell

Did you measure the AC voltage across the two leads from the stator like I suggested in post #2 ?

It should increase with engine RPM and should be 25-35 VAC at WOT.

squonk

I would not trust the dash voltmeter. Get a DVM and check it at the battery.

WVHillbilly520H

Maybe this helps...

IMAG2694.jpg

IMAG2696.jpg

• Like 2

Dball

Well guys i pulled my fly wheel and took my stator off an tryed a cont test and it doesnt ring out so im thinking my stator is bad.any input 

Ed Kennell

Here is why my 520 quit charging.   30A fuse at front of engine.

IMG_6840.JPG

• Like 1

Dball

Tryed replacing fuses nothing changed so far way it reads is on a cont test it shouldnt ring out which it didnt so the rectifier was replaced im un sure of what it could be their was a few niks in the copper windings but none of them was cut in half 

Ed Kennell

Did you ever check the AC voltage output before you took it apart?

• Like 1

Dball

I do blv i fixed it i ran a direct hot wire to the battery then to the center pole on the rectifier volts was 14 just like the 2 other 520s i have so i gues next snow we will just find out.any how that leads me to finding out what the wire is for thay was hooked to the hot on the rectifier 🤔as i know that the stator is hooked to the poles it needs to be an the morron that had this b4 me has that part of the wiring a mess 

Dball

What do u guys suggest for fuse size for the direct wire i have coming from the center pole on the rectifier to the battery?its not powering anything else other thenn the charging of the battery.

gwest_ca

Here is the 1988-89 wiring diagram showing the fuses.

The charging system on these models have a 20 amp rating and the fuse used between the regulator and the battery is 30 amp.

Garry