Deadguy

Two more?!?!?!?!?

WVHillbilly520H

Yep you did good,and most importantly as long as your happy you did good that's what matters the most, cool horses, and yes as of March this year I had 1 horse, now 3 520h's and 2 xi's ,Jeff.

• Like 3

Deadguy

We are up to 7 :wh: now, 3 of which in the last month!

• Like 4

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I like them, good score. They sure do breed fast don't they

Glenn

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher

Deadguy  Couple of nice workers you have there. It fun chasing them down. It gets you moving and a shaking.

Edited by T1257 RETIRED WRENCHER.
  • Like 3

Pollack Pete

I like the dually best.I'd stick it in my shop just so I could look at it every day.OK,OK.I don't want your B-80 to get jealous.I like that one too.Have fun with your new toys.

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:                  You did just fine, :handgestures-thumbupright:   at this point I think I have 12,  need to go count them to be sure!   :ychain:

• Like 2

ohiofarmer

That beasty 16 HP lump in the b-80 is a big deal.That is what makes your purchase a nice pick.

On the other engine.....I found out that it is best to run an engine for a while before thinking they need a re-build. My raider 10 smoked a bit and used oil at first, but penetrating oil in the spark plug hole and changing the oil to a modern Diesel oil helped a bunch as it no longer smokes or uses oil. It is possible that a ring might stick to one side of the groove in the piston causing oil consumption on a tractor that sat for a while.

It looks like the 8HP engine has no starter solenoid. It would not be a bad idea to spray the switch with some penetrating oil and clean the contacts because all that power is going through the switch to start the tractor. It also appears that the spark coil is living beneath the flywheel. If yours gives you trouble, parts are unobtanium---but you can convert it to the standard 'beer can ' coil ignition system as your tractor has points.  Been there done that on an electro 12

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 5

AMC RULES

Nice haul there for sure...  :clap:

absolutely love the patina on that Charger dually.

IMG_0638.thumb.JPG.13f93442f880590308c12557af4b67a0.JPG

Think I'd mix and match parts of the two...

to make one beastly :wh: machine.  :text-woo:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2

Deadguy
38 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Mix and match to make one beastly machine?  Let's see here. Charger dually=beasty.  B80 with K341 and 8speed = beasty.  I was thinking get them both going and have two beasts! Well, I mean two more beasts..... I do like the patina on the Charger too.  I think I will clear coat that one as-is and call it good.

2 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

That beasty 16 HP lump in the b-80 is a big deal.That is what makes your purchase a nice pick.

On the other engine.....I found out that it is best to run an engine for a while before thinking they need a re-build. My raider 10 smoked a bit and used oil at first, but penetrating oil in the spark plug hole and changing the oil to a modern Diesel oil helped a bunch as it no longer smokes or uses oil. It is possible that a ring might stick to one side of the groove in the piston causing oil consumption on a tractor that sat for a while.

It looks like the 8HP engine has no starter solenoid. It would not be a bad idea to spray the switch with some penetrating oil and clean the contacts because all that power is going through the switch to start the tractor. It also appears that the spark coil is living beneath the flywheel. If yours gives you trouble, parts are unobtanium---but you can convert it to the standard 'beer can ' coil ignition system as your tractor has points.  Been there done that on an electro 12

Would that modern diesel oil be Shell Rotella-T?  If that is the case, it is what I normally use, so I already have some on hand.  I will have to give that a try.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Just sayin'...looks like a Kohler 8hp I see there in the Charger. 

I'd swap it to the B-80, and put the thumper in the Charger.  B)

• Like 2

elliot ness

Nice score.:woohoo:

Pollack Pete
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

Come on Craig........you'd be sanding,priming,and painting that dually before you got it out of your truck.............

pfrederi
2 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

Looks to me like there is a coil on 8hp up top to the rear of the head.

KC9KAS

You did good.

You now have a "B-160" and it will be a power-house!

ohiofarmer
7 hours ago, Deadguy said:

Mix and match to make one beastly machine?  Let's see here. Charger dually=beasty.  B80 with K341 and 8speed = beasty.  I was thinking get them both going and have two beasts! Well, I mean two more beasts..... I do like the patina on the Charger too.  I think I will clear coat that one as-is and call it good.

Would that modern diesel oil be Shell Rotella-T?  If that is the case, it is what I normally use, so I already have some on hand.  I will have to give that a try.

Yep. If there are no oil leaks, they even make Rotella T  in synthetic. The plain dino Rotella T is what i used 

Another little known thing about the Rotella T synthetic is that it has JASO on the label. That means your Japanese motorcycle will like it. If those tiny 7 to 10,000 RPM engines like it, i figure that it can be a good thing for our Horses.

You have to use your own judgement about oil and be aware that the viscosity numbers on Rotella are not what was recommended back in the day. The quality of the oil is better, however. Maybe an oil engineer will have some comments and explain why I am wrong about this.....

Edited by ohiofarmer

Achto

@Deadguy Nice to see a fellow Red Square member picked these up.:handgestures-thumbupright: Did the guy have them running when you went to look at them? I went and looked at them a couple of weeks ago and neither one would run, ignition issues. While I saw the potential in both of them I decided to pass, mainly because I already have too many irons in the fire and I've run out of room.

Great score grabbing them both. With a little TLC they should be great machines.

• Like 1

Deadguy

The seller installed a whole new ignition system on the B80, and it fires right up.  I do need to reconnect the voltage rectifier to get the battery charging again and add lights.  It also needs a governor adjustment, as it spins a bit too high in full throttle.  The Charger 10 was having some fuel delivery issues, but since the seller just wanted to clean out his garage, he was willing to drop the price way down, so I took it.

Achto
5 minutes ago, Deadguy said:

I do need to reconnect the voltage rectifier to get the battery charging again

Looking at that set up he had I don't think the PO ever had it hooked up. I would check the 2 wires from the stator to make sure you have AC power there. If that checks out good then hopefully the rectifier/regulator is good and you should be in business. I think you did well on the price for the pair.

Deadguy

The electrics were not hooked up on either tractor.  The terminals were corroded off the rectifier on the Charger, so there is no way the PO ever had them hooked up on the Charger either.  Why would someone not want functioning electrics on their tractors?

Achto
8 minutes ago, Deadguy said:

Why would someone not want functioning electrics on their tractors?

:think: Only thing I can think of is that this is where the PO got lost when he was doing the engine swaps. Electrical scares a lot of people. The link below has good prices on after market regulators..

http://www.psep.biz/store/kohler_voltage_regulator.htm 

Deadguy
56 minutes ago, achto said:

:think: Only thing I can think of is that this is where the PO got lost when he was doing the engine swaps. Electrical scares a lot of people. The link below has good prices on after market regulators..

http://www.psep.biz/store/kohler_voltage_regulator.htm 

Thanks for the link!  I don't see how :wh: electrics can be all that scary, you can count all the wires on one hand!

Achto

Your welcome for the link. I order a lot of parts from this place & have always had good luck.

33 minutes ago, Deadguy said:

I don't see how :wh: electrics can be all that scary, you can count all the wires on one hand!

Not all minds work the same. Coming from years of being a service tech, there are many times when I've wished that the customer hadn't tried to fix things them selves.

• Like 1

Deadguy
1 hour ago, achto said:

Your welcome for the link. I order a lot of parts from this place & have always had good luck.

Not all minds work the same. Coming from years of being a service tech, there are many times when I've wished that the customer hadn't tried to fix things them selves.

Some people should not be "fixing" anything!  I picked up a 551 this year, and when I drained the transaxle, out came a clear fluid that sort of smelled like kerosene and ran like water.  Thankfully, after refilling it with proper gear oil, everything appears to be working ok so far.

• Like 1

Achto

If it was kerosene every thing should be nice & clean in side now.:lol:

• Like 2