Deadguy

Two more?!?!?!?!?

Deadguy
6 hours ago, WHX9 said:

Get us pic of that tag below the dash & try and get that service sticker right below it...just curious as to where horses might have come from in our area.

Here is the sales and service sticker from the B80.  The Charger is outside under a tarp right now.  I will have to get a picture of that tomorrow.

IMG_0696.JPG

• Like 2

Deadguy
On 12/16/2016 at 0:45 PM, WHX9 said:

Get us pic of that tag below the dash & try and get that service sticker right below it...just curious as to where horses might have come from in our area.

Here is the service tag and ID plate.  It is a 1969 model.  That would mean it has the 1 1/8" axles, correct?

IMG_0699.JPG

• Like 2

pfrederi

It came with 1-1/8" But after 47 years and multiple owners you better measure.

• Like 1

WHX??

If it has 1 1/8 axles it would have the 10 pinion differential right @stevasaurus?:text-yeahthat:

Deadguy
5 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

It came with 1-1/8" But after 47 years and multiple owners you better measure.

I will be measuring them as soon as I can get it into my workshop!

ACman

@pfrederi does the hydro have a 10 pinion too  :scratchead: ?ACcuz and I have a 69 Charger10 too . I know some of the 6speeds did (867,1067,1267) , @stevasaurus what models came with the 10 pinion posi ? Good question @WHX9  :) !

• Like 1

WHX??

I thought Steve told me the 1 1/8's in that time period had the 10 pinions Jeff, hopefully he will chime in. If yours does deadguy  it might make a good plow tractor?

• Like 1

stevasaurus

The 1969 Charger 10 model #1-7041 came with the #5062 transmission and the Sundstrand 90-2046 hydro.  The 5062 transmission does have the 10 pinion limited slip differential and 1 1/8" axle.  That is what it came with.  :)

The best way to tell is to down load the manual for a particular tractor and open up the D&A OM IPL.  Find the break down of the transmission, and count the pinions in the differential.  You will see the 5062 tranny at the top of the breakdown page...item #20 is the pinions (10).  It will also tell you the size of the axle seal...1 1/8"  Now any horse that has the #5062 trans will have the 10 pinion limited slip differential.  :)

• Like 4

Deadguy
21 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

I thought Steve told me the 1 1/8's in that time period had the 10 pinions Jeff, hopefully he will chime in. If yours does deadguy  it might make a good plow tractor?

I already have a C120 set up as a plow tractor.   I am thinking of setting this one up as a snowblower for winter, since these hydro drives seem so convenient for the constant back and forth of snow duty.  Now that I know it has the good axles, it opens up the possibilities of the jobs it can do when the weather warms up!

• Like 3

Sarge

Just don't abuse the 10 pinion , it will be fine . My brother in law's '68 Charger I built for him has the same diff - it's great for traction .

Sarge

• Like 3

pfrederi

My primary winter tractors all are Charger /Electros with the 10 pinion diff.  They are the best ones I have used in the winter ...better than the 418A, C81 -8 ...any of the other 13 horses.  Put on some narrow tires, chains and weights and they will surprise you how much snow they can move.  Hydros make maneuvering much easier/quicker (especially if you have to back up frequently) and you can get the perfect ground speed for the blower while keeping the auger speed up.

They get summers off now...do not want to wear out the spring in the differential.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 4

PeacemakerJack
4 hours ago, Deadguy said:

I already have a C120 set up as a plow tractor.

Do do you have any pics of this machine?  Have you taken it to any plow days?  Hopefully you can bring it to Symco next summer and we can get a chance to plow together with: Jim, Ryan, and Dan...

4 hours ago, Deadguy said:

I am thinking of setting this one up as a snowblower for winter, since these hydro drives seem so convenient....

No truer words could be spoken!  I've blown snow with both configurations, and it is nearly impossible to beat a Hydro with a snowthrower/blower for convenience.  It always feels like you are short a couple of "extra" arms for blowing snow.  A hydro makes it easier especially in a situation where you need to go forward and backward a lot.  It isn't so bad if you have a long (or short) straight driveway that you can let out the clutch and go. But in those cases like my driveway which has a large open area that requires a lot of back and forth action, hydros rule!  

Deadguy
1 hour ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Do do you have any pics of this machine?  Have you taken it to any plow days?  Hopefully you can bring it to Symco next summer and we can get a chance to plow together with: Jim, Ryan, and Dan...

No truer words could be spoken!  I've blown snow with both configurations, and it is nearly impossible to beat a Hydro with a snowthrower/blower for convenience.  It always feels like you are short a couple of "extra" arms for blowing snow.  A hydro makes it easier especially in a situation where you need to go forward and backward a lot.  It isn't so bad if you have a long (or short) straight driveway that you can let out the clutch and go. But in those cases like my driveway which has a large open area that requires a lot of back and forth action, hydros rule!  

The C120 is set up for snow plowing, not garden plowing.  I have an 857 (with 8 speed!) set up for that.  In fact, the snowblower is currently attached to that 857 right now.  I do agree from my experience with the C120, that the hydros are great when it comes to back and forth!

• Like 1

slim67
On 12/10/2016 at 10:44 PM, WVHillbilly520H said:

Yep you did good,and most importantly as long as your happy you did good that's what matters the most, cool horses, and yes as of March this year I had 1 horse, now 3 520h's and 2 xi's ,Jeff.

On 12/10/2016 at 10:59 PM, Deadguy said:

We are up to 7 :wh: now, 3 of which in the last month!

On 12/11/2016 at 7:03 AM, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:                  You did just fine, :handgestures-thumbupright:   at this point I think I have 12,  need to go count them to be sure!   :ychain:

:text-coolphotos:                  You did just fine, :handgestures-thumbupright:   at this point I think I have 12,  need to go count them to be sure!   :ychain:

You guys know the old saying? "its better to have it and not need it,than to need it and not have it". Im always looking for another deal to.

• Like 2

Deadguy

Got the light bar and 2" receiver installed, brake adjusted so that it works, and engine and transmission oil changed on the B80. Now it is good enough to drive around.  Now I can get it out of the workshop and see if I can get the Charger going.

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0703.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

• Like 4

Deadguy

I got a start on the Charger this evening!  After rearranging my workshop to fit a fifth tractor inside it, I managed to get the Charger in.  Unfortunately, I only had enough time left after that to spray some penetrating oil into the cylinder, find out the battery was dead, and pull off the duallies.  The good news is that I now have four six inch wide rims, and that I have three 6-12 ags in very good shape.  The bad news is that the duallies were mounted in more of a decorative fashion.  They were simply bolted on with two carriage bolts per assembly.  No rim spacers or anything! Also, one of the tires had a hole in the sidewall large enough for a cat to crawl through.  One more piece of good news, I have confirmed that it has the 1 1/8" axles!

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

• Like 5

pfrederi

Just found some chains that would go really well on your 6.00x12 AGs.  Add some wheel weights and with your 10 pinion LTD Slip you will have a real snow fighter.  The longitudinal links will keep the cross links from getting drown between the Ag lugs like and be just like theduo-link chains on my Case DC3

chain.JPG

case.JPG

• Like 3

Deadguy
46 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Just found some chains that would go really well on your 6.00x12 AGs.  Add some wheel weights and with your 10 pinion LTD Slip you will have a real snow fighter.  The longitudinal links will keep the cross links from getting drown between the Ag lugs like and be just like theduo-link chains on my Case DC3

chain.JPG

case.JPG

Thank you!  Once I get it running and confirm that the transmission is good I will look into those.

Sarge

You can also look into the Euro style chains , they are similar but use a tight X-pattern to prevent side slip and some are available with welded vees on them .

http://www.tirechain.com/ATV-Studded-Tire-Chains.html

Sarge

pfrederi
48 minutes ago, Sarge said:

You can also look into the Euro style chains , they are similar but use a tight X-pattern to prevent side slip and some are available with welded vees on them .

http://www.tirechain.com/ATV-Studded-Tire-Chains.html

Sarge

Did they have them to fit 6.00x12  I couldn't find that.

Sarge

I think you'd have to take some measurements for circumference and width and call them - one of the ATV sizes should work and those are available in double diamond pattern or H pattern - those would be my first choice albeit the price tag . In Europe , those are very common on road graders and heavy equipment in areas that see a lot of snow and heavy duty use , proven to work very well with no clogging .

Sarge

Deadguy

The Charger runs! To troubleshoot the fuel delivery issue, I pulled the fuel line where it attached to the fuel pump.  Gasoline flowed out, so it was not a clogged fuel line. I next pulled the fuel line where it attached to the carb, and fuel flowed out, so the fuel pump was probably good.  So, then I pulled off the carb and removed the bowl.  Oh my! If was coated with a thick layer of ethanol varnish and sticky brown goo.  The same varnish and goo was present in all the passages and jets in the carb body.  So I scrubbed the bowl out with Seafoam and a rag, and spent a few minutes pumping Seafoam through the jets and passages to get the goo out.  I then put the bowl back on and reinstalled the carb.  It started right up, and I was able to drive it around!  It runs strong, but is a little smoky.  I will Seafoam clean the head and change the oil, and see if that helps.  It will need a new voltage regulator, and new throttle and choke cables, but it runs!  

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Hard to stop an ol' :wh: . 

Congrats.  :clap:

• Like 1

Achto
9 hours ago, Deadguy said:

It will need a new voltage regulator, and new throttle and choke cables, but it runs!

Good news!:happy-jumpeveryone: Glad you got it running without too much trouble. That same web site that I sent you with the voltage regulators also has some nice throttle & choke cables for a reasonable price. www.psep.biz.

• Like 4

Deadguy

The voltage rectifier is now installed.  I have also Seafoam cleaned the head and changed the oil.  The smoking is down a bit, now it just smokes when starting under choke, and lets out a puff when quickly pulling the throttle out.  Hopefully it will continue to improve.  Tomorrow i change the transmission fluid and filter!

• Like 2