oliver2-44

Putting Tubes in Plugged Tires

oliver2-44

I picked up a pair of 23 by 10.5 x 12 Carslie tires for free. They have 2-3 plugs in each tire, with about a 3/4" to 1" of plug sticking inside the tire.

I'm thinking of putting tubes in when i mount them, but wounder will the plugs poke a hole in the tube over time.. 

Before you install the tubes, what do you do ?

Leave the plugs sticking inside & just install the tubes as is?

Remove the plugs completely and install the tubes?

Trim the plugs but leave a small amount of it sticking inside the tire?

Trim the plugs smooth, flush with the inside of the tire? 

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

cleat

I would trim them smooth.

The tubes are what will hold the air after that point, not the plugs.

• Like 5

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat: I've put tubes in plugged tires with no issues. :)

ACman

Trim plugs smooth and put tire patch over plugs  :twocents-02cents: . This will keep the plug from pushing back in and give you a smooth surface on the inside of your tire. Nowadays they use what's called a plug/patch. Any good tire shop should be able to handle this quickly and shouldn't cost you a arm and leg either :) . Especially with the tires off the rim .

• Like 6

953 nut
3 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Trim the plugs smooth, flush with the inside of the tire?

While in high school I worked part time in a gas station and lots of cars were using tube type tires. I put a tube in a tubeless tire that had been plugged (though I didn't know it) and that plug chewed a hole in the tube within a week. Granted, you won't be putting a lot of miles on the tire, but why take the chance.

• Like 3

ACman

:text-yeahthat: , many of years and tires . Both ag type and auto . Not to say other ways won't work , just speaking from personal experiences . I would never use a plug (quick fix) , I could have the tire off , inside buffed ,cleaned ,glued (witch usually took the longest to flash) patch applied and tire back mounted in less than twenty minutes. This was done all by hand and a real old manual tire machine :tools-hammerdrill:. Sometimes it took longer to find the leak than it did to fix . I just wouldn't chance it and have to go through the whole process again.

IMG_0810.PNG

• Like 2

TDF5G
On 12/10/2016 at 10:11 AM, ACman said:

Trim plugs smooth and put tire patch over plugs  :twocents-02cents: . This will keep the plug from pushing back in and give you a smooth surface on the inside of your tire. Nowadays they use what's called a plug/patch. Any good tire shop should be able to handle this quickly and shouldn't cost you a arm and leg either :) . Especially with the tires off the rim .

:text-yeahthat:   Or remove the plug completely and patch.  Patches will hold for the lifetime of the tire if applied properly. 

• Like 4

Tankman
On 12/10/2016 at 11:02 AM, Racinbob said:

:text-yeahthat: I've put tubes in plugged tires with no issues. :)

Done the same here. Tubes will be fine.  :text-yeahthat: